OT: pricing

I was actually looking for something to put one of these small PAL camera modules in: ftp://panteltje.com/pub/PAL_camara_module_in_circuit_img_1584.jpg

Was in the Gamma hardware store, spotted a 'dummy camera', only 7 Euro or so, say 10 $: ftp://panteltje.com/pub/dummy_camera_img_2325.jpg You know if you want to find a fitting plastic box, with a bracket that you can fit on the wall, for 7 Euro this price is a reasonable deal. So I did not read anything on the box it was in, say zero expectations, thought: just will drill a few holes and put the camera module in it, and that is it. Now comes the surprise factor. When I got it out of the box, and actually looked at it, there was mention of a LED and a PIR sensor. It thought: well that would need power. So I discovered a battery holder in it. OK, put in 3 x AA, and guess what, it started moving when ever something came in front of the PIR sensor. So opened it, and found: PIR sensor, that one I had not seen before, just a small something with 2 connections in a shrink sleeve! LED. Electric motor, slowly moves the camera left to right when something in front of it is detected. Gearbox, drive belt too. Small PCB with discretes, plus one chip covered by some blob. The lens is fake, but that is about all that is fake on it. So can put my small real camera module on it, use the PIR sensor to activate recording, and replace the batteries (4.5v) by 5V that I need anyways for the camera module. But 7 Euro? Somebody must get payed very low wages, took me half an hour to get all the screws out... Lots of real wiring in it... I bet for the price of fake lens they could add a real camera module, charge 10 Euro... This price really amazes me.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

modules in:

Where did you get the camera ??

hamilton

Gamma, Dutch type of D.I.Y.shop

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

On a sunny day (Sun, 05 Sep 2010 09:22:07 -0600) it happened hamilton wrote in :

modules in:

The CMOS camera:

article number 150026

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

modules in:

You can get them from Harbor Freight, in the US.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

modules in:

say 10 $:

OT, oddness in ftp download - Again had a little fight with your ftp server, google chrome (on win7) just froze up.

But Linux' wget was fine. Then I noticed lots of this from my firewall log (it's a background terminal on the second monitor):

08:28:24 JLE:inp:drop junk TCP 21 -> 62927 inet->ppp0 TTL=44 ACK PSH 08:28:24 JLE:inp:drop junk TCP 21 -> 62927 inet->ppp0 TTL=44 ACK FIN 08:28:25 JLE:inp:drop junk TCP 21 -> 62927 inet->ppp0 TTL=44 ACK PSH FIN 08:28:27 JLE:inp:drop junk TCP 21 -> 62927 inet->ppp0 TTL=44 ACK PSH FIN 08:28:29 JLE:inp:drop junk TCP 21 -> 62928 inet->ppp0 TTL=44 ACK PSH 08:28:29 JLE:inp:drop junk TCP 21 -> 62928 inet->ppp0 TTL=44 ACK FIN 08:28:29 JLE:inp:drop junk TCP 21 -> 62928 inet->ppp0 TTL=44 ACK PSH FIN 08:28:30 JLE:inp:drop junk TCP 21 -> 62927 inet->ppp0 TTL=44 ACK PSH FIN 08:28:31 JLE:inp:drop junk TCP 21 -> 62928 inet->ppp0 TTL=44 ACK PSH FIN 08:28:35 JLE:inp:drop junk TCP 21 -> 62928 inet->ppp0 TTL=44 ACK PSH FIN 08:28:37 JLE:inp:drop junk TCP 21 -> 62927 inet->ppp0 TTL=44 ACK PSH FIN 08:28:42 JLE:inp:drop junk TCP 21 -> 62928 inet->ppp0 TTL=44 ACK PSH FIN

Which indicates maybe your system still trying to finish with google chrome session, or some oddness? You can respond offlist to my email above if this rings a bell with you? I deleted your IP decode info for brevity, but it's yours. Or ignore me if you think it's my fault ;) I haven't worked on my firewall rules for years, maybe some later kernel changes are affecting it, dunno.

fit on the wall,

is it.

LED and a PIR sensor.

in front of the PIR sensor.

connections in a shrink sleeve!

That might be an LDR working on change of light, with length down a plastic tube for sort of focus? Easy to test for. PIR sensors usually have multi-opamp and take minutes to stabilise their operaing point.

(PoV from someone not looked inside PIR for decades).

Remember those speaking dolls/robots years ago would go off when you walked by? They worked on change of light level, rather than PIR.

of it is detected.

recording,

module.

screws out...

Yes, it amazes me how many screws these people put in their products, suppose it allows a looser moudling tolerance?

Chinese? They doing some amzing tricks with money, different to Japan when they were the source of the cheap stuff.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

On a sunny day (Mon, 06 Sep 2010 08:46:56 +1000) it happened Grant wrote in :

I once tried to get Chrome but it did not really seems to like to install on my system. Could not be bothered to try a lot, I have a Firefox 3 (old) and Opera (recent). Together those do most things.

Seems your firewall drops my IP for port 21. I dunno this syntax, but for Linux iptables you can type iptables -L to see what is rejected, man iptables.

Kernel changed from 'ipchains' to 'iptables' some versions ago. Dunno how old your distro is. And I dunno where your iptables (or ipchains) keeps its database. I use something like iptables-save > /root/my_firewall and too reload the firewall from my database: iptables-restore < /root/my_firewall

It is strange, because the iptables works for ALL applications on the system, so if it works OK for wget then it must work OK for Chrome, but it is possible Chrome has its own filter. Since you seem to be the only one (of the millions) with this problem, why not try an other browser and see if that works, if so blame Chrome.

Easy to test, lemme see: Put it in the dark. Wave my hand in front of it. Nothing! Shine a flashlight on it. Moves! I does say 'PIR" sensor, but is is probably a Chinese translation :-) So great, thank you for clearing at least that mystery. Later when I have open it again I will measure that LDR.

of it is detected.

recording,

module.

screws out...

Yes, although it fits rather well. I did manage to put the little CMOS cameras module in the lens, it keeps the same looks. Nice PCB in it too, transistors marked PNP etc, even c,b,e marked, good thing too as many wires broke off immediately when I worked on it. And only 2 colors, red and black, so that helped putting it back together again.

Money is funny stuff, the US just keeps printing more of it, for the Chinese if I got it right, who then change it for reminbis (or whatever it is called), and then dish it out to their people to buy bread so they can build skyscrapers and factories that make products that the US buys in large quantities, But I did not study economics, but it reminds me of those 2 Jewish guys on the moon who keep selling each other the same moon rocks and get incredibly rich in the process. That, in short, explains inflation. But now the US FED is afraid of deflation... Interest rates at zero, maybe you will GET money if you accept a loan? mm something not right here. My view is, that just give everybody the authority to print $$ on their inkjets, that solves the cash problem, stimulates the economy, and everybody is rich. Helps to sell inkjets and ink, paper too. OK, enough I guess.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

system.

Sorry about syntax, it's a processed printout from what iptables scribbles into /var/log/messages: # tail -F /var/log/messages | sf4sf -f /etc/sf4sf.conf

Two known users, I'm one of them.

Yeah, BTDT :)

My iptables loads from a script when ppp0 comes up, runs in a local mode before then. I never used ipchains, sadly I used dialup via windows box until I switched to ADSL -- I'm a disgrace to pure Linux users ;)

Plus Win7 trying to be smart. Anyway, since I noticed the activity, thought I'd run it past you.

Second nature is to take a difficult transfer to the linux terminal, since then I'm using the box facing the Internet. Bypasses all the windows crap I don't trust so much these days. Nice eye-candy, shame about the OS...

of it is detected.

recording,

module.

screws out...

same looks.

too

I've seen then advertised here, didn't realise they moved on movement detection, I have a friend may be interested.

I got it right,

out to their people to

the US buys in large quantities,

moon who keep

something not right here.

inkjets, that solves the cash problem,

Companies used to print their own money, hmm some still do, sort of.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

modules in:

say 10 $:

can fit on the wall,

is it.

a LED and a PIR sensor.

in front of the PIR sensor.

connections in a shrink sleeve!

of it is detected.

recording,

module.

screws out...

Open a VCR that retailed for $50-100 ten years ago. Now _that_ will blow your socks off when it comes to cost efficiency.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.