OT popup ads

In Firefox when my cursor hovers over specific words a pop up window appears eg

the word "microphone" in the first line does it

I've got Adblock running, but it doesnt catch these.

Any idea what addon I need to kill these irritants, apart from using IE.

Thanks

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

I'm also running firefox, however with "block popup windows" on or off, there is no popup.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Hi Rene, I've got that set as well, just damn annoying. I tried to read the page source to find out what/ how they do it. Just got lost

Ah well, shit happens

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

If it's any constellation to you, you get the same thing in IE.

Reply to
Paul Burke

Use the features of Firefox: Don't allow pop-ups, and install the "NoScript" extension.

"NoScript" is configured by site... I only allow my banks and credit card companies to run scripts.

...Jim Thompson

Ta Muchly. Worked a treat

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

in IE it doesn't happen tho. Did you read operating time is 38min. and after that the unit has to be discarded. It cannot be true?

--
ciao Ban
Apricale, Italy

A popup appears in IE. In Netscape, if you turn java scripting off, this never happens. Scripting is necessary at times, but the other 98% of the time is a pain. Firefox, you can do it also. This is not a regular popup, as my Netscape popup blocker ignores it.

I have been turning scripting off for years, until I got Netscape with popup blocker.

One can alos refrain from hovering cursor over specific words.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Yep, it was a April Fools joke by Lectrosonic that actually fooled a lot of High Tech review site into giving it web space

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

While yes I saw it was an April Fools joke, since the battery is so much larger than the mic, it makes more sense to use a watch battery or equivalent...

"The unit's frequency response is at an impressive 5Hz to120kHz." Isn't 120kHz a bit much, considering human hearing is only good to about 20 kHz?

Reply to
onehappymadman

after

Perhaps the intended use is not to provide (eventual) input to a human ear. I worked on sonar systems in the past that could analyze signals up to 100 kHz.

Reply to
Richard Henry

I was thinking it might be a "tool tip", but I don't get a popup on Konqueror, and it would show up in the source in an image tag as a 'title="whatever"' thing, but I don't see any of those either. They might be doing something in the javascript, but that might as well be APL to me. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The Mozilla Seamonkey suite has a native DOM Insector. You mark some text, right-click, and select View Selection Source. A window will be spawned indexed such that the highlighted segment will be easily viewable with the segment highlighted there as well.

A plug-in is available which will add this function to Firefox: InspectThis 0.2 by Laurens Mackay

JeffM

Rene

Seeing as you are using Firefox just go to

and install the NOSCRIPT addon.

Gets rid of the javascript lovely - ad you have options to allow JS when you want

Alan

-- Sell your surplus electronic components at

Search or browse for that IC, capacitor, crystal or other component you need.

Reply to
Alan