Kill Youtube Ads

Youtubers often get carried away with ads, hoping to turn your patience into dollars. Some make you sit through the entire ad until it is finished. Others break your concentration so you forget what was happening in the main video. Some turn up the volume so it is too loud, and you have to change the volume during and after the ad.

You can eliminate these problems and never have to sit through a Youtube ad again. Here's how:

  1. Install VLC at

  1. Copy the desired Youtube url to the clipboard with Ctrl-C

  2. Load VLC

  1. Press Ctrl-N then Ctrl-V to paste the Youtube url into the window

  2. Click Play and enjoy an ad-free Youtube video

Useful VLC keyboard commands:

  1. Spacebar - toggle Pause

  1. Uparrow - increase volume

  2. Leftarrow - go back 10 seconds

  1. Downarrow - decrease volume

  2. Rightarrow - go forward 10 seconds

  1. Alt-F4 - terminate the video

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Sorry, that doesn't work unless you play the video in Youtube.

You need to do this instead:

  1. Right click on the title. A small window will open
2A. Scroll down to "Copy Link Location" and Left click

Proceed as before.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

On a sunny day (Thu, 28 Nov 2019 10:04:06 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Steve Wilson wrote in :

Last time I did see a youtube ad there was a box 'skip commercial' I clickd it and it went to the topic. ?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

This problem will go away by itself. Starting from Jan 1st, most Youtube videos will not have ads anymore (due to their silly way of implementing compliancy with COPPA). Of course this also means that a lot of channels will cease to exist because they have no revenue from Youtube anymore.

Reply to
Rob

And with VLC you can then record the video or add it's URL to a play list.

Reply to
bilou

torsdag den 28. november 2019 kl. 10.42.17 UTC+1 skrev Steve Wilson:

go to:

click install, done ..

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yeah, Ad-blocking when watching small-time producers whose material one enjoys and do all the work themselves is a lousy thing to do.

Reply to
bitrex

I just subscribe to YouTube Red which costs about $12/month.

No ads and I get some extra perks and shows as well.

I'd rather pay for some of the great channels on Youtube thanpay way more for cable TV. Can't get much of any technical video on cable TV.

Reply to
boB

This works on Youtube, but it is too aggressive. It activates the adblock detection on some sites and renders them useless. If you disable it, you get overwhelmed with ads. I removed it in favor of "Updated Adblocker for Firefox", which is very effective but does not activate adblock detection.

Adblocker does not work on Youtube videos, but I rarely watch them. I much prefer VLC due to the significant advantages over Youtube. For example, Youtube often gives very poor sound - muggy and hard to understand. VLC removes this and delivers clear, balanced sound that is very natural and easy to understand.

Some sites have naturally squeaky, high-pitched audio, such as EEVblog. Here's an example:

This is almost impossible to listen to due to the high-pitched voice.

However, VLC has a built-in equalizer that pops up with the command Ctrl-E.

You can emphasize the low frequencies such as 60Hz to 310Hz and give the voice a more natural sound that is much easier to listen to.

Another advantage of VLC is the control over sound volume. Youtube defaults to maximum volume, which is far too loud. You have to try to kill the sound while the site is loading, which can be difficult or impossible. VLC doesn't do this. It remembers the setting from previous runs so you don't have to jump on the volume control to try to reduce it.

And, as bilou posted yesterday, VLC can add a Youtube URL to a playlist so you can view it repeatedly.

One advantage Youtube has is subtitles. These are useful where the speaker has a pronounced accent that is difficult to understand. VLC can also show subtitles, but I have not figured out how to activate it.

Because the sound in VLC is much clearer, I have not found a real need to use subtitles.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Do people still run browsers without Adblock Pro or uBlock Origin? WTF?

Even mobile has it, in Firefox I believe if not the others.

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Design Website:

Tim Williams

"Tim Williams" wrote in news:qrpu5p$dc7$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Another method is to use clipgrab and actually DL the clip. Then you can watch it offline and ad (duty) free. Just delete it when you are done with it if all you wanted to do is view it. One of the benefits of high bandwidth is the level of waste and redundancy.

When I want to listen to a song, instead of buying an MP3 from Apple or whomever, I find it on youtube and dl it. It may be the original track from the album, the original video, or a remaster or other version. The videos are not that much bigger than the song. Easy to grab the ones I want too.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I use which allows me to use my choice of video player instead of a web browser.

Can also download clean video files from hundreds of other sites,and more all the time.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Am 28.11.19 um 10:42 schrieb Steve Wilson:

I have Adblock Plus and Ghostery installed and I have never ever seen a single ad on youtube. But this week there was a popup on yt that asked if I liked the ads, and I gave it a resounding YES! Pleeeze don't change the way it works now!

There is also the Download Helper that does exactly that, and it extracts the soundtrack .mp3 from (flv, mp4, mkv, whatever).

/Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann