OT: PhD in Electronic Engineering

there

I know UIUC was one of the first with the degree in '74 (accredited in '78). It wouldn't surprise me if those folks had either an EE or CS degree.

I was just making the point that ABET is not only US, though looking at the list it's obvious where the influence is (much $$ pumped into the ME universities - and now China).

Germany?

Sure they do. *Each* state has it's own licensing requirements. Goes for nurses, teachers, veterinarians, and even hair dressers and barbers (say what?).

is.

There may be a reason they weren't accredited.

Yes, Monterrey. Look closer. Search on "Electrical and Electronic". They call it "Mechatronics Engineering" (2006).

Reply to
krw

We had a couple of locals in for their Senior projects. Well, you were talking about being cold...

Reply to
krw

And roofers. After the last round of hurricanes, out of state contractors could do anything except roofs. Of course, there was that state of Florida sponsored quickie roofing course for a couple hundred dollars.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Not me. I have the A/C on, and three fans running right now. It's almost 1:30 in the morning, and it's still 82 in my bedroom. :(

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

ext=3Dime_fac

there=20

=20

=20

problem:

Mr.=20

=20

=20

You can do it by experience in California also, nor do the references have to be PE for electrical engineers, but having at least one really helps. Most of my references never were PEs. Still got accepted.

Reply to
JosephKK

ext=3Dime_fac

there=20

California

=20

Hot Damn, i wish i had known that CSU was a fancy university. Most CSU and UC campuses with engineering curriculums are ABET accredited. Actually many fancy (ivy league) universities lack ABET accreditation.

Reply to
JosephKK

=20

ext=3Dime_fac=20

States,=20

"discipline".

who=20

way=20

yuor=20

Well gosh, computer engineering is not a consistently recognized discipline even today. When did CSU Sacto get accredited for proper EE?

Reply to
JosephKK

ext=3Dime_fac

States, there=20

programs?

"discipline".

California

who=20

years

yuor=20

on

A little bit over simplified. The difference in the work a day world in not that stark.

Reply to
JosephKK

there

A little explanation, please.

Reply to
krw

Amazing (No, I suppose not.).

Reply to
krw

[...]

Then why did the engineer have a degree in electricl engineering?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Now they are but many years ago they weren't all. And when clients ask me to help in the selection process for an engineer's position I tend to look at older folks for certain jobs that require experience. So far I was quite pleased with people coming from CSU. Also from Davis.

I was at the CSU Sacramento campus a few times lately and man, they do have it fancy there. Even a really posh restaurant with white table lines and the whole nine yards.

Yup. And I don't give a hoot about that, for me it simply does not matter one bit in the hiring process.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

All Ivy League schools that have a BSEE program have those programs ABET accredited. Harvard doesn't offer engineering per se, (it's an applied science degree) and Brown doesn't offer engineering at all. The other six are all ABET accredited. This wasn't always the case (e.g. Yale let their ABET accreditation lapse between '65 and '73).

Reply to
krw

At EndoSonics we did that in production. Not sure if the company that bought us does but this wasn't too long ago, late 90's. We called it "cross-training" but it was essentially the same thing, and voluntary.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Good old turf protection?

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Most probably he didn't. They don't offer it.

Reply to
krw

It seemed like anyone who could stand and owned a hammer rushed to Florida to do roofing. 99% were clueless.

I joke with my dad when I help him with one of his projects. I tell him, That's another fine job by 'Two Briarhoppers with a hammer'. ;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

But a "quickie roofing course" isn't going to change that.

;-)

Reply to
krw

for

that depends on wheter you're the homeowner whio get shoddy work, or the state that got three weeks lottery money from a gullible hammer swinger with no ridk of them winning a jackpot.

Around here what you see is mostly done by 'Two drunk rednecks with a nailgun'. :(

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Jeorg, I have a PE, but never really worked under another PE. As a matter of fact, most of my experience was in fields that didn't even need a PE, but it still counted. I just needed to get recomendations from my bosses for those jobs to document the experience.

Now, I have been considering getting a contracting license, but those REQUIRE you to have worked as a tradesman in that trade, under other licensed contractors. Too bad, some of the jobs that I have seen you basically need to be a contractor to do the design work, because they expect you to design and install...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.