OT: PhD in Electronic Engineering

I meant working in the medical device industry. Heck, even at testing labs I haven't met any.

I never understood the sense of it. When IEEE wanted to push PE I told them I'd cancel my membership if they did. Just imagine, a trade organization being in favor of bringing _more_ bureaucratic burdens on their own membership. How sick is that? Well, they stopped, so I am still a member :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Ah, I misunderstood. Sorry.

I never joined IEEE because they're run by academics and corporate executives. Hardly two groups who have the same economic goals of the working engineer.

Reply to
krw

[...]

It's become a bit better, but only a little. I am a member because it looks good for a self-employed person, mainly since that indicates that you are bound by their code of ethics. Plus IEEE gave me just about the shortest and easiest to remember email address one can have because I signed up early for their alias service. Other than that I don't see much value right now.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Mine isn't short enough? ;-)

Reply to
krw

executives.

Mine is longer :-)

Only by one letter though, and has the easier to remember .org domain.

--
SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Along with that crappy A+ certification. A friend that owned a computer store tried hiring only people with A+ certification, then discovered just how ignorant they were. They could answer any question in the study guides, but they couldn't fix a computer without help. The guy I picked up that old Dell server from the other day told me that he had to re-test, after that 'Certification for life' expired. He laughed and said, "the test only covered a two week span of computer & networking technology".

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

opportunity.

get a

not now,

where

experience is

- If

regardless of

all

higher

for)

product

wouldn't

=20

In the US the P.E. exam covers the basics of the field (electrical / civil / mechanical). If you pass that you get a do an at home with crib sheet (provided in some states) "test" that covers the law and ethics. At least back when i got mine that was the way it worked.

Reply to
JosephKK

licensed?=20

test=20

Golly, BS degree and 2 years qualifying experience is onerous???

Across the US most if not all states use the NCEES test materials and it is pretty much all technical, but sophomore and junior year stuff. Canada may use NCEES as well.

No, IBM was doing it before Gates was born. All the Unix vendors and Novell copied it before M$ did.

Reply to
JosephKK

the=20

as they=20

had=20

e.g.,=20

well as=20

You do not have to piss away that much money, since i happen to be in California i can get one from CSU instead, for a fraction of that price, nor would i have to give up my high paying job, it would just take longer.

were=20

only=20

working=20

=20

more=20

the=20

I do not see this change as incorporating the CS arena; strictly engineers. Remember the "CS" study has the word "science" in it; therefore it is not one.

Reply to
JosephKK

could

and

area

research,

was

posting

use

career

R&D

with

why

about

how

get

PhD.

for

afterwards.

settle

into

don't=20

reason=20

a=20

now,=20

now=20

and=20

is=20

If=20

=20

supervising

would

It is largely driver by certifiable idiots that have BSEE and PE. I can introduce you if you want to meet some.

Right there with flat earth.

Reply to
JosephKK

...and your plan would solve this how?

Reply to
krw

What "bureaucratic burdens"? It's simply a one-time entry barrier, plus a small annual overhead, unless you screw up fairly badly. Unless there are entry barriers you don't really have a profession. It would be like programmers rather than doctors or lawyers. Anyone can call himself or herself a programmer, not everyone can legally call themselves a doctor, lawyer or professional engineer.

What's the benefit in it? Cheaper group insurance? Another magazine to skim in the john?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

You also have to have a "good character". ;-)

No, Ontario candidates who have accredited (by the CEAB, a branch of the PEO) education don't need to be retested on technical matters. But they're quite serious about the law and ethics exam.

Actually as this is a self-regulating profession (with a bit of legislation to give teeth to the enforcement folks) the bureacracy is not too bad.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

If you can get your employer to pay for your MSEE -- and Keith and I both did :-) -- then the balance absolutely tips into the "clearly worth doing" side of things. :-)

It might not have been the best possible investment for my employer's money, but I'd say it was at least one of average payback.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Actually one of the reasons I chose Motorola right out of school. They had a "Training Program" where you circulated thru the various departments and learned ALL the steps at making I/C's AND got an MSEE, on their dime, AND on their paid time :-) ...Jim Thompson

I wonder if there are any companies still doing that? I'd be surprised if Motorola themselves still were -- AFAIK they don't even do much IC design anymore (and they surely don't have any of their own foundries left? -- although that's no longer particularly significant, I suppose).

Oh, wait... I guess the "IC design" part of Motorola is now Freescale and OnSemi... (strange the Freescale has the RF bits, though...)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

FreeFall got all of the "good" stuff, including the high-end RF.

On got the "commodity" stuff -- which included quite a lot of good jellybean parts, so they're certainly not to be sneezed at.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

This was 48 years ago. ...Jim Thompson

They paid, but I didn't finish. The classes were *really* bad (recycled profs they didn't want teaching the "real" students).

(0 + 0)/2 = 0

Reply to
krw

My classes were generally good, although I chose poorly when it came time to write a thesis -- took me three years after finishing my coursework to finally finish writing it. 90+% of anything useful I contributed to my employer came from the coursework and not my thesis, though. (I did end up learning Matlab scripting quite well...)

My professor had a history of students leaving before finishing their theses -- some people were clocking in at five years post-coursework to finish them, which I figure is about the upper limit before anyone would just say, "forget it." I did throw a bone to the professor and in my last e-mail to our research group suggested that they really, really ought to finish before leaving -- it really sucks to have that one last unfinished commitment hanging over your head for such a long time.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner