OT: PhD in Electronic Engineering

Finally tracked him down: S.C.Gupta was my MSEE thesis advisor...

...Jim Thompson

could

and

area

research,

guy,

I was

posting

sees use

career

electronics R&D

with

this

(hence why

my

about

how

just get

PhD.

for

get a

afterwards.

settle

viewed

straight into

don't=20

get=20

=20

reason=20

=20

get a=20

now,=20

where=20

now=20

That=20

and=20

through=20

experience is=20

If=20

of=20

be a

not

supervising

but

him a

Lawyers)

MS

accordingly.

would

can

I never said that plan would do a lick of good. Just that some wanted to go that way. And it looks inevitable (IEEE would like it). I have a different idea, quit giving away BSEEs to innumerate illiterates who would not be caught dead with a soldering iron or a screwdriver and cannot operate an oscilloscope.

Reply to
JosephKK

As I've mentioned: Many license boards require two things. First, university course work must be ABET, not the case for most older folks or people who studied overseas. 2nd, they often require you to have worked under the supervision of a PE for typically 4 years minimum. In medical there aren't any PEs, hence ...

The entry barrier is the university. IMHO professors are the ones who shall decide who is fit to be an engineer, not some bureaucrats who don't even know how to draw up a simple diff-amp. At my alma mater about

83% of the guys I started out with failed to make it through to the masters. I guess that's enough of a barrier, ain't it?

I ask myself that every year. Group insurance isn't worth spit right now, IMHO. Spectrum is often really good, and so are some society papers. For example, even if it's rare I do sometimes need access to the latest and greatest in ultrasound, and without membership that would cost beaucoup bucks (more than the dues). The other upside is that it adds to my credibility in front of new clients, mainly because I am bound by the IEEE Code of Ethics and by that of VDE (also member there).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

They flunked out something like 20-25% each year in the first two years. After that, it was almost unheard of to flunk out in the major coursework. I doubt anyone flunked out of the masters program. I'm sure many didn't make it, mainly because of the thesis requirement. The masters program I started didn't even require a thesis. Two courses (30 credits, rather than 24) could be substituted. Most of the working engineers did a project and used their work projects. Like I said, it was a joke.

Obama swore an oath to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution, too.

Reply to
krw

Ok, it looked like you were supporting this silly idea.

That would be my choice, too.

There are a *lot* of engineers who will never touch a soldering iron or oscilloscope. Most, I would think, would open a can of paint at some time in their lives, though. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Or perhaps nail polish.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Do you open nail polish with a soldering iron or a screwdriver?

Reply to
krw

I repeat:

Quote: "Earn a degree from an ABET-accredited engineering program." That alone is a joke and also de-facto age discrimination.

Quote: "Gain acceptable work experience (typically a minimum of four years). In most cases, this must be completed under the supervision of a P.E." Which, for example, in my case is impossible because there are no PEs in the industries I work. Certainly never met one in medical and that's now 24 years and counting.

One expression that made me chuckle was "... must not have committed acts of moral turpitude" :-)

My first encounter with a PE (civil engineer) resulted in me (!) finding a bug in his calcs and rationale ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I have used it to glue trimpots. ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Yeah, sure. Yep, trimpots, that's the ticket. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Yes, but he never said he wouldn't rip it up and burn it before he put the ashes in an urn.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That interpretation of "preserve, protect and defend" makes as much sense as anything else the moron has done.

Reply to
krw

How so?

If there are no PEs in the industry, obviously the shingle isn't of much use. I've worked around PEs all my career. The only use the shingle had was to put some pompous letter behind their name on a business card. Might just as well put "A+" after their name, though.

Rats!

Not surprising for an EE to find errors in a CE's (EE) work. Like I said in an earlier post, when I was in school the EIT had *no* electrical questions. It was all CE stuff, for which I'd never even taken a course. Useless.

Reply to
krw

Foreign universities and US universities in the 70's or 80's usually did not have ABET accreditation. Whatever it means, I am not a fan of that anyhow. One shall leave the curriculum and all that to the people who know, and that would be the professor at that university.

Yep. Such onerous requirements lead the whole thing almost ad absurdum. It is not useful IMHO. Seems like our state saw it that way as well when they decided to just make the board a small group under the Department of Consumer Affairs many years ago.

:-)

I found the errors in inclination calcs, not exactly EE stuff. Plus flaws in interpretation of the law. Findings which I presented at a pretty crowded meeting and again in a certified mailing, just to make sure the message is "driven home" properly and would hold in court if necessary. There was some silence afterwards, and then full compliance with what I thought needs to happen, not what they thought needs to happen. Oh did everyone become friendly, like day and night :-)

Could go further but not in public, because on a personal level I liked the guy. Not sure he's still around, he was older.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

US universities were certainly accredited. Mine was. I remember preparing for the silly dog and pony shows. Professors? They're hired to do research (a battle I remember my father fighting - and losing).

I suppose it *could* mean something. I doubt I'd go to a doctor that didn't have MD after his name. Maybe I would, though. Most of the reason I need a doctor is *because* of their monopoly.

Ah, a public humiliation meeting. They're always appreciated, and remembered.

Not necessary.

Reply to
krw

Like going to the beach to play with little black balls?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

These days lawyers and politicians practice medicine. :(

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Watch it! ...or you'll have Sharpton *and* Dobson on your doorstep.

Reply to
krw

licensed?

test

Nope. First search engine hit:

Quote: "Out of the 300 engineering colleges in the United States, there are only 24 ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology)-accredited manufacturing engineering programs"

Luckily, at my university most professors took their teaching role seriously. But not all.

put

Some countries in Europe have "healing practitioners" and some are a hell of a lot better than many doctors I've seen. Case in point: _All_ of the doctors trying to diagnose and treat my recurring back pain failed to mention that one major cause can be a magnesium deficiency. A CPA finally told me. So I started taking supplements -> Bingo!

[...]

That was not my intent, I am not the kind of guy who likes doing that. But they wanted to have a whole neighborhood over the barrel so we had no choice but to prove that they were wrong. Personal communication from my side was ignored, threat letters had gone out from their side, and once that happens the gloves come off. At least mine. They are very quiet since then :-)

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Don't forget the government bureaucrats.

Reply to
krw