OT: patent diagrams

Just been browsing some US patents, and was wondering who does the wood engraving for the diagrams?

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Wood engravings??? Where? Which patent(s)?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Maybe, whoever wrote the application? ?:-/

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

martin,

They're not wood engravings -- though I appreciate that description. They were required to be India ink on a special type of vellum. It was a highly specialized type of drafting. But it's no longer required by the US Patent Office. Hasn't been required for several years now.

--Mike

Reply to
Mike Engelhardt

Thanks Mike, I vaguely remember that the UK registrar of births marrages and deaths still use a carbon based ink that will last several centuries

Maxtor/Seagate, are you listening?

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

The majority pf patent drawings are "outsourced" to professional patent draftsmen.

Reply to
Robert Baer

So the ink is OK, but the base (paper) will not last as long; the US Constitution is a case in point...

Reply to
Robert Baer