ot optics question for Phil

Not directly. They push python as a programming language, and it's real backwards, but no official RPN classes anywhere. TI still runs the cartel for school approved graphing calculators.

I'm not even sure what they teach these days that offers any real value outside of constantly taking tests ina school, and learning how to be meek and offended by everything.

Was chatting with a machinist who say they regularly have people apply for assembly jobs at the factory and can't even use a socket wrench. They pass on those folks. People are so helpless fewer and fewer cars even come with a spare, as they know the driver won't be able to change it in the first place. Sad times.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I have a relative who has a PhD in Engineering Mechanics. He is hugely offended if anyone calls him a mechanical engineer. He's helpless at fixing things.

Reply to
jlarkin

The typical case is the development of a complex impedance into a ladder network. A continuous fraction expansion has alternating impedance and admittance expressions as you descend into the denominator. Look up writings by Wilhelm Cauer, Sid Darlington, Ernst Guillemin and Ronald Foster, among many others.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Right, which is why most Smith chart pads have both impedance and admittance graticules.

I use admittance all the time in doing mental arithmetic for circuit design.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Bet he's not as useless as a guy I used to know who has a PhD in "Industrial Engineering".

What is "industrial engineering", anyway? AFAICT it seems to be a dumping ground for people who wash out of ME or EE.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

they did the math, a spare is used so rarely that it is a waste of space and fuel to carry one around

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Who did the math? Airbgs and seatbelts seem like a waste too by the same MBA logic.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

you can't be silly enough to think that is the same....

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

If you read old books, up to 1960s maybe, "punctures" were very common. Nowadays tires rarely go flat, or even lose much air.

I have changed wheels a few times over the last decade. The causes of punctures were horseshoe nails, fencing nails, woodscrews and in one case a damaged cast iron drain cover.

I do drive a lot on country roads adjacent to stables and horse breeders.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

Rubber chemistry and tyre manufacture has improved a lot in that time.

The other snag is that modern cars push tyres hard enough that they have a spin handedness so your choice it limited to carrying a generic thin space saving spare or runflats. The latter leaves more room in the boot.

Some of us are on run flats which are hellishly expensive but very impressive if you really do have a blowout at motorway speeds. Driver action required is pretty much limited to continue to steer, slow down and pull over to take a look at the damage. You can limp home at 50mph for up to 50 miles on a flat run flat tyre. Although I was inclined to give it a break every 15 minutes or so since it runs very hot.

Doing 50mph on the inside lane of a UK motorway is pretty scary with HGVs on their limiters at 56mph overtaking at the last possible moment.

I have had about half a dozen flat tyres and two of them were motorway blowouts after hitting coach bolts/sharp metal shards on the road. One went right through the outside tyre wall the other did invisible damage to inside tyre wall - only visible once it was up on a ramp. The run flat experience was much more user friendly than the classic tyre.

Reply to
Martin Brown