OT: Obamacare 1099s

Yup, and that puts a whole slew of additional bureaucratic and non-productive tasks onto the plate. Plus in many places like here in CA a minimum corporate tax that they levy even if you paused for a year.

This whole thing is rather ridiculous. The perfect recipe in economic times like this, ain't it?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

This is not for today, ( does not go into effect till 2012).

But like most laws, its for the future, when the IRS needs to get more money into the coffers.

Both sides of the isle will love this change.

"I will not raise taxes", but you will pay more.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

And of course, what we didn't know, was that you need to pay that minimum corporate tax at the end of the first quarter of the year, not at the end of the year when you file your taxes! Got hit by a $35 penalty for that one. It only took 90 minutes (and two different reps) for the state tax folks to be able to point out to us where in the tax guides it told you that...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

This was obviously Big Paper's payback. Office Depot will sell the forms at the checkout.

Reply to
krw

consultants:

Obamacare,

worth of

Here's the

Act of

in the

person now

from any

issue

paying

1099s,

previous

this

corporation that is not an

is,

no

=E2=80=98person=E2=80=99

what

only.'

be

will

stand

then

while.

holds.

that I

have

have to

Chevy

for

bungalow

for

Barn,

seen

point and

literally=20

=20

Classic liberal fix; this policy / program isn't working, then we must not be doing enough of it and we must expand the policy / program.

Reply to
JosephKK

Beats me why some people wonder why CA ranks on the very bottom when comparing biz friendliness among the various states. I personally spoke to biz leaders who said that they are going to wait until November this year and then make potentially serious business decisions.

In this day and age of the Internet it no longer matters much where your company locates, can be in another state, can be in another country.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I don't know if CA is at the *very* bottom. NY and VT are right up there. Others certainly are open for business, though.

A labor pool is still important to many. Non-union preferably.

Reply to
krw

Probably in the same ballpark. But even some states that I thought were biz friendly have surprised folks there. Audits in the form of fishing expeditions and so on, to squeeze out more "revenue". Including stuff like "Pay and we'll settle it right away". What they don't realize is how fast word spreads around, it is damage that can hardly be undone.

Although, in the high-tech world that is less and less the case. I didn't have to travel much since last November but completed quite a few projects since then. All right here, with the occasional WebEx style meeting.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yep. I've been at virtually 100% GoToMeeting or Skype for more than a year. I haven't flown since last September, though I am flying to SFO June 11. ...Jim Thompson

Sure, for you, a consultant. How many employees do the companies you work for have?

Reply to
krw

And I might be in Chandler around that time but only for a few hours :-)

Can you share a desktop on Skype?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

[...]

It varies. Some have thousands but most have just a few engineers. And with some the majority of those are also consultants. All I can say is that I see that slowly increasing.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I'm out early morning, June 11, back the next night _late_.

If you're here on Sunday, come on by!

Yep. ...Jim Thompson

CA

Most of the times I have to fly I don't come home before midnight.

I wish, and I would but this will be a multi-stop trip together with a client engineer, probably on a pretty hectic schedule.

Maybe I should try that out. Early on I wasn't comfy with them asking for a credit card but I guess it's ok. However, so far none of my clients wanted to use Skype for teleconferencing.

No matter how badly Adobe screwed up Acrobat IMHO, I was very pleased with their Adobe/Cisco meeting service. None of these endless load times like with WebEx. Click, click, click ... voila, you're in the meeting.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

CA

Me? I bailed last year. That's how I knew about the U-Haul rates.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Where did you bail to?

Reply to
krw

in CA

r.

ic

ot

To a land of much less nonsense and much lower taxes just a jog ne of you. Sssshhh, now, no telling...

The fireflies are brilliant tonight, but the deer keep eating me[sic] tomato plants.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

A fad that will likely reverse. Bean counters can see $$, usually. They can't see other intangibles, like corporate memory. You can blame the tax code on much of this shift. You can be sure that Congress won't leave that alone.

Reply to
krw

Ah, we like to spend weekends a "jog NE" of here. I've threatened to move up that way after this gig is over.

Hmm, maybe a different jog.

Reply to
krw

for

That "fad" started happening many year ago. Of course now there's wrenches thrown into the gears of our economic machinery, such as hiring lots of agents to do re-classificationn crackdowns. That, of course, can lead to companies becoming skittish about hiring external engineers even though they'd be fully legit. Stuff like that is a pretty sure-fire method of driving business out of the country, and that I am seeing happening as well.

For bean counters consultants are better because a large payroll typically doesn't look too good on the financials. Consulting fees are simply expensed. Of course, if companies are hindered in their freedom regarding such decisions they will look around, see where such hurdles don't exist and then move operations there. Because it makes that problem go away.