OT. new Phone Phreaking book out

Had to share about this new and interesting book on the history of the old phone phreak hackers from the 1960s and 1970s.

boB K7IQ

Reply to
boB

I know very little of the phone system, though I do have a system working here that passes caller-ID to all my phones, but doesn't ring if it's a call from 8xx (and other select numbers ;-)

The only snag to this system is that some sales mongers leave messages on my voice mail.

Is there a tone I could play that would drop them? ...Jim Thompson

Michael A. Terrell

Yep. That's certainly worth a try...

The "We're sorry" tone.

boB

Reply to
boB

Well, it is 'Ma Bell', after all. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Take the line off-hook for a second, then go back to on-hook (open circuit). That will effectively answer the call, then hang up on them.

The only tone that might work is a simulated dial tone.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Yes, that works too.

Usually, the "I'm Sorry" tone will not "supervise" (go off hook) when it is received by the caller, but you could, I suppose, answer (automatically), play that tone, and then hang up on them.

I don't think the caller (spammer) knows about the supervision these days so some machines might just respond (do something with) to that tone too, maybe adding your number to a non working number list and stop calling.

boB

Reply to
boB