OT: New Judge

Of course it's true. You are obviously arrogant and classically narcissistic. I pity anybody who has to work for you.

If that was a sincere comment, you wouldn't participate in this off-topic guff.

Reply to
Pomegranate Bastard

They seem pretty happy. The pay and bonuses and medical coverage and company-funded 401K and free chocolate don't hurt, and we occasionally post bail for spouses. Everyone has been on full salary and benefits through the covid things, whether we had work for them or not.

We have a lot of fun, actually.

OK, I will ignore you. All you do is cackle anyhow.

It's actually completely ordinary. Ted Cruz explains:

There has been a supreme court vacancy in an election year 29 times. Presidents have made nominations all 29 times -- that's what they do. If there's a vacancy, they nominate a replacement.

Then comes the Senate, the other half of this process. Their actions, reasonably, depend on whether they're the same party as the president, or different.

In 19 of the 29 times a vacancy has come up in an election year, the president and Senate were controlled by the same political party.

17 of those nominees were confirmed.

Different parties controlling the Senate and the presidency has happened

10 times. (Merrick Garland, nominated in Obama's lame-duck year, is an example.) Of those 10 nominees where the parties were different, the Senate has confirmed the nominee only twice.

Americans elected Donald Trump in part because he promised to appoint good Supreme Court justices, and he published his list. Americans voted for that, and that's just what he has tried to do.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

The real bottom line is that the elected Senate Republicans want a strict constructionist judge, one who respects the literal Constitution as the ultimate law, and, under the rules of the Constitution, can insist on getting one. Nothing wrong with that.

Nonsense. Judicial work is not political (will survive long past any party-in-power and is dependent on actual legislative results, not the preliminaries and disagreements). A Supreme Court justice routinely shuns any partisan connection. The appointee is the subject of appointment inquiries, not the president.

Reply to
whit3rd

That's risible.

It's shocking to see an American claim that, and factually false--the president appoints, the Senate confirms. The Constitution says so (Article II, Section 2).

The now-common Senate show-trials/inquisitions are a recent innovation, of the Democrat party. Previously, presidents nominated, and Senates just voted.

Now we have Biden opining the president's fulfillment of his constitutional /duty/ to appoint (the clause reads '/shall/ nominate') "an abuse of power." That's scary stupid.

Mr. Biden, Ginsburg's seat isn't the only thing vacant.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Huh? The Senate first inquires into the appointee, and can confirm or deny. Why is it shocking that such an inquiry is about the appointee? Surely that's common knowledge.

Reply to
whit3rd

This is an electronic design forum some of the time. John Larkin has posted recipes here, so he only takes the idea seriously when he thinks he can score points with it.

This is the kind of "one rule for you and another rule for me" sort of behavior that arrogant narcissist gits go in for.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

:

LE.

,

rty-in-power and

isagreements).

t.

Since Mitch McConnell blocked consideration of Obama's last nomination to t he Supreme Court for ten months before the election from for purely politic ally partisan reasons - which clearly was an abuse of power, the scary stup idity is all on the Republican side

Trump and Mitch McConnell have great gapping deficits when it comes to thin king about doing the right thing for US as whole.

The Republican Party does seem to have degenerated into a device for keep t he wealthy and privileged priviliged enough to shoot themselves in the foot any time they feel like doing it, and that's just the way James Arthur lik es it.

With any luck he's been vocal enough to get himself sent off to a re-educat ion camp when the USA comes back to it's senses. The chance he might learn anything there is remote - he's very attached to his silly idea.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

te:

UBLE.

.

o.

s,

nt,

party-in-power and

disagreements).

ent.

the Supreme Court for ten months before the election from for purely polit ically partisan reasons - which clearly was an abuse of power, the scary st upidity is all on the Republican side

inking about doing the right thing for US as whole.

the wealthy and privileged priviliged enough to shoot themselves in the fo ot any time they feel like doing it, and that's just the way James Arthur l ikes it.

ation camp when the USA comes back to it's senses. The chance he might lear n anything there is remote - he's very attached to his silly idea.

More SL0W MAN fantasies - Trump, along with the Republicans, have crushed p overty in the US. It has dropped by TWENTY FOUR PERCENT over the Obummer/Bi den years - and that is in THREE YEARS vs 8.

al-poverty-people.html It should be a no-brainer who these people should support for President whi ch is why his support among Blacks is up 60%. It's simple math (which means SL0W MAN won't understand it).

Reply to
Flyguy

rote:

ROUBLE.

es.

do.

ons,

dent,

y party-in-power and

nd disagreements).

ident.

n,

)

to the Supreme Court for ten months before the election from for purely pol itically partisan reasons - which clearly was an abuse of power, the scary stupidity is all on the Republican side

thinking about doing the right thing for US as whole.

ep the wealthy and privileged priviliged enough to shoot themselves in the foot any time they feel like doing it, and that's just the way James Arthur likes it.

ucation camp when the USA comes back to it's senses. The chance he might le arn anything there is remote - he's very attached to his silly idea.

poverty in the US. It has dropped by TWENTY FOUR PERCENT over the Obummer/ Biden years - and that is in THREE YEARS vs 8.

That's why I think that Flyguy is Biden-financed glove puppet.

George W. Bush jnr. and his Republicans gave America the sub-prime mortgage crisis, which became the global financial crisis, and Obama ad his adminst ration spent the next eight year stimulating the economy back into decent h ealth - not helped by the Republicans who had enough power after 2010 to en ure tht the stimulus money went mostly into the pockets of Republican voter s, who were as likely to spend.

Trump inherits a restored economy - with less poverty - so an idiot like Fl yguy thinks that he can claim that Trump has "crushed poverty"

ical-poverty-people.html

That's a link to a page offering 25 different tables. Flyguy hasn't bothere d to tell us which one he thought that he was pointing to, which presumably means that he doesn't know. They are all Excel files, which aren't immedia tely informative. I do know how to convert them into graphs, which would be a lot more accessible, but since Flyguy probably doesn't, it's much more l ikely that he's cut and pasted the link without having a clue how to get an y useful information out of it

hich is why his support among Blacks is up 60%. It's simple math (which mea ns Sloman won't understand it).

The last time I did an formal study of mathematics was in 1961 - when I pas sed Pure Mathematics 2 as second year undergraduate.

I passed Theory of Computation Part 1 as a single subject a few years later - around 1965 - which was tolerably mathematical.

If there was anything there to understand I probably would understand it - physical scientists are good at that - by this is Flyguy and he's the no-br ain element here.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I think you have to keep the spin speed below 30000 rpm

Reply to
Andy Bennet

I understood "appointment inquiries" to mean you thought the Senate was responsible for 'inquiries' to identify potential candidates suitable for appointment.

Of course they don't--the president nominates, the Dems crucify, character assassinate (since Biden borked Bork), the Senate confirms, etc.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

The Constitution says the Senate shall advise and consent.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Thank goodness for that. I can't say I'll miss you.

Now f*ck off.

Reply to
Pomegranate Bastard

John has over the last 25 years or so been one of the most valued contributors here so WTH are you, an obvious TROLL, to tell him or anyone else here to f*ck off? You called me an imbecile for my remarks about the level of CO2 in the atmosphere. I went to a massive amount of trouble and expense to acquire reputable, accredited sources of information in physical print form going right back to the closing years of the 19th C. in an effort to establish whether the persistent whinings of climate alarmists like Greta Thunberg and Al Gore were in any way justified. They were not. Not even remotely. The level of atmospheric CO2 has remained largely constant at ~380ppm since 1898, despite that 122 year period seeing the advent of the motor car and the huge growth of carbon-intensive mass manufacturing the world has ever seen. I'm not pointing this out for YOUR benefit because YOU are a troll and *no amount of evidence* will ever disabuse you of your ignorance, but there will be others with open minds reading this who will derive some benefit from it and perhaps even pursue their own studies of the matter to eliminate any doubt whatsoever in their minds as to who is the real imbecile here.

Oh, and one more thing: Time wasting trolls are not welcome here.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

com

y.com

stensen

John Larkin has been one of the most prolific contributors here for more th an twenty years. The idea that he might be a valued contributor - let alone one of the most valued contributors - is a stretch.

Since Cursitor Doom is a pig-ignorant twit, with a habit of posting links t o the dimmest kind of right-wing propaganda, his endorsement isn't exactly valuable.

Sadly. you don't seem to have gone to the trouble of acquiring the scienti fic training that would have revealed that what got published about CO2 lev els at the end of the 19th century wasn't all that informative. Ice-core da ta dug up more recently (and processed with much better tools than were aro und at the end of the 19th century) have made it clear that the published data wasn't worth publishing.

This is based on very few measurements down inside laboratories being heate d by coal fires. Ice core data reflects the sate of the atmosphere over Greenland and the Antarctic when the snow was falling. It's a whole lot mor e informative.

It's Curstor Doom - there's no doubt about that. What's truly imbecilic is his claim that he had to go to any trouble ofr expense to find journal arti cles from the end of the 19th century. University libraries have bound jour nals going back that , and you can consult them for free, and copy the rele vant pages on their xerox machines remarkably cheaply.

In reality he's almost certainly relying on denialist propaganda which has done all this kind of work for him.

And Cursitor Doom is a classical example of the breed.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

You are an utter imbecile.

Reply to
Pomegranate Bastard

On Sunday, September 27, 2020 at 9:31:09 PM UTC+10, Pomegranate Bastard wro te:

.com

gy.com

istensen

Not entirely true. He's definitely ill-informed, and susceptible to particu larly fatuous right-wing propaganda. but if he were an utter imbecile he'd be slightly less irritating.

If what he posted was merely stupid, he'd be a nuisance, but there's an unp leasant streak of malice which makes him even less attractive.

It takes particularly foolish arrogance to let him declare that "time-was ting trolls aren't welcome here" when he's a decidedly unpleasant example o f the breed who is in no position to speak for the group as a whole (not th at anybody else is either - it's an un-moderated group and includes a very wide range of people, though few as persistently obnoxious as he is).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Remember that old saying, Bill? "A pig-ignorant far-right thicko and his money are soon parted."

Reply to
Pomegranate Bastard