Question regarding return loss formula

Could some electronics guru here please clarify this ? Since my engineering school days, I have been told that the return loss(e.g., for an antenna) is RL = -20.0log(|gamma|) where gamma is the reflection coefficient.However, recently I have come across journal articles, papers where the authors use: RL = 20.0log(|gamma|), i,e,, the negative sign is missing. Which of these two is correct ?

Reply to
amal banerjee

ng school days, I have been told that the return loss(e.g., for an antenna ) is

er,

se:

ese two is correct ?

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

This almost funny. You should be able to work that out for yourself. Do you worry about the sign of the loss of attenuators too?

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Neither antennas nor attenuators usually return more power than you send them. I suppose their return loss is positive and their return gain is negative.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

The one with the minus sign is the return loss, the one without is the return gain. In a passive system, the loss in dB is positive, while the gain in dB is negative.

Unless you're building reflection amplifiers, no confusion is likely to result.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Wiki says that return loss of a lossy device is positive in dB.

Tunnel diode RF amps needed a circulator to separate the input from the output.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

I disagree, Phil. I think you have them backwards.

Reply to
John S

gamma magnitude (can be a complex number) is less than 1 so logarithm is negative, meaning you want to add a negative sign to make it a positive loss number. All logs cross thru zero at 1 and nosedive to -oo at 0.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

A negative gain is a positive loss. A negative loss is a positive gain. OMG- semantics!

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

A really well matched system might have a return loss of (plus) 30 dB. No?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Phil Hobbs

Well then we agree. I feel so validated. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs