OT: Money???

Every single hour, of every single day, the U.S. government spends about $200 million that it doesn't have.

Yes, that's every hour of every single day... 24 hours a day, seven days a week, including Sundays, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, and every other holiday.

For a point of reference, consider that in just two months, the government borrows more money than the combined annual profits of the

100 biggest publicly traded companies in America.

That's absolutely incredible, isn't it?

Again, every hour of every single day, we are spending $200 million we don't have.

Does that sound sustainable to you?

Yet, you'll rarely see this fact reported anywhere else.

Reply to
Robert Baer

That's why the US economy is growing at 2% per year, rather than shrinking at a rate of 6% per year, as it did in the last quarter of 2008, and for four years after the 1929 Crash.

You've finally got the point where the stimulus can start to be tapered off.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Yes, it's simple thievery. (Bill likes to spend OPM, but ignore him. He thinks government spending creates jobs.) ) OK - 400 million an hour, or about 10 billion a day. That's close to the entire Venture Capital budget on new startups. Yes, it's unsustainable, and it's easy to imagine a collapse. Then people on retirement pay will be washing car windows.

Reply to
haiticare2011

Sounds like we should import some more illegal aliens to boost the economy. Oh, wait maybe I have that wrong. Mikek

amdx

You're missing the point, and that is most of this spending is a waste.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

ut $200 million that it doesn't have.

Borrowing is theft?

I leave other poeople's money severely alone.

Correctly. Not as many as you need, and not as many as you'd get if. the st imulus spending was better directed.

It may well be unsustainable. It's only intended to persist until the econo my is running close to capacity and has resumed expanding at about 3% per y ear, which should be real soon now ... It's not supposed to be sustained, e xcept by right-wing nitwits, who seem to feel free to suppose anything that make their rhetoric more florid.

Haitic finds it easy to imagine a collapse because his imagination is large ly unencumbered with real world facts. The fact he think he knows mostly ar en't correct, and he seems to have zero capacity to learn new facts when th e old ones have been shown to be in error.

They'll be able to buy enough food to sustain the walk down to the traffic lights? And the people whose car windows they might wash will have enough m oney to buy petrol to get their cars to the same traffic lights, let alone enough extra to throw it away on mendicants?

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Well, then why do you not want to spend ten thousand dollars a day of money you obviously do not have? Call it financial stimulus to make the sheeple (including you) happy.

Reply to
Robert Baer

But..too many people, not enough windows (not even M$ can help there).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Not a bad idea - - would need to print more worthless money to support them.

Reply to
Robert Baer

...and waste has repercussions that are not exactly good, to say the least.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Assuming your numbers are correct, if they stopped that, the US GDP would immediately drop by 10%, to levels last seen almost a decade ago. What would happen *after* that might well be good, but it would probably be politically fatal to whoever did it.

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany