OT McElligot's Pool

The greatness of the man hardly matters. Should we hold someone to the standards of their day or the standards of our day? GH

Reply to
George Herold

I can still recite the entire Sleep Book from memory. The best page is,

"Now the news has come in that some friends of Van Vleck's / Are yawning so wide you can look down their necks. / A yawn is quite catching, you see, like a cough / It takes just one yawn to set other yawns off."

Sheer brilliance. The Grinch, the Cat in the Hat, and even his ABC book are also brilliant.

But he's very uneven. The Butter Battle Book is pure communist propaganda, and _The Lorax_ is so transparently tendentious that even my small children noticed it eventually.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

And BTW the answer to your question is, "Yes, as soon as we dare. We've got Jefferson on the ropes now."

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I think most requested was "Fox in Socks" with kid squeals of delight when we tied our tongues. George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Jeez pal, some of this stuff was pretty racist for 1937, much less 2021.

bitrex

We were still watching Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings in the 1980s but they never broadcast "Unga Bunga Bunga" or "Southern Bunny" to my recollection:

bitrex

"Southern Bunny" shouldn't just be offensive to most Americans, it should be offensive to most comedians, too

bitrex

I'm not super interested in cartoons, good, bad, or ugly.

So hey Rex, do you think George Washington was a good guy or not? Why so or why not?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

A "good guy"? What do you mean "good guy" like a guy you wanna go out and have beers and shoot the shit with or something? Pays his taxes and all his parking tickets on time? Or like a wiseguy or something do I introduce him as "this is a friend of mine"

What's this "good guy" stuff. My buddy calls his dog "good boy" and he loves the pet-pets.

Reply to
bitrex

If George Washington were to appear on Thurbers Ave. down the street from the Jet Set Lounge in 2021 I would definitely have a beer with him and introduce him to the Dominican Republic's finest if that's what you're asking.

Reply to
bitrex

On 3/4/2021 6:54 PM, George Herold wrote: ...

Who would you have doing the deciding?

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Ds can't push back against their own. Rs often criticise each other and the media always says Rs are having a civil war. If a D criticises their party he gets pounced on and punished. Freedom is not their priority goal.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Of course they can.

They frequently are.

So Bernie Sanders has been pounced on and punished recently?

Freedom isn't any political party's priority goal. Their priority goal is to get elected. The Republican party does seem to have lost sight of this recently. the Democrats don't have complete agreement on the policies that are most likely to get them elected, but when not being Donald Trump is all they really need they don't have to be all that specific about the rest.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Punished how. Am I not free? Am I in prison right now? Am I writing you from the leftist gulag?

Leftists disagree with each other all the time to my experience and I wouldn't call all of them a "good guy" or want to be pals with them all. However you will find that most agree that flipping out about a publisher no longer desiring to publish some 70 year old books with unga-bunga and me-so-solly cartoons in them makes you sound nuts

Reply to
bitrex

Geesh I don't know. As much as possible allow everything.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yeah that use not to be the case. "I'm not a member of an organized political party, I'm a Democrat" Will Rogers

I think 50% of the US now considers themselves independent.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

He sends out for strange animals from all over the world. (Is it silly of me to explain kid book plot points to you?) So I pretty sure you get the '50's ethnic take on the rest of the world*. I think the same book has Arabs in turbans and Asians in straw hats and wooden shoes... George H.

*How else should he have represented Africa? Or should he have left them off? I remember scanning the pages of National Geographic as a kid looking for topless Africans in grass skirts. Should we ban all National Geographics which have 'insulting' pictures?
Reply to
George Herold

You didn't have those arguments in public where it would matter to anyone. The Democrat caucas is scared shitless of Pelosi and Schumer. If you don't see that Rs cross the line much more than Ds (who practically never do) then you're blind.

We'd be irrational to complain if they had stopped publication for a rational reason, like because they are old and nobody wants them, but that is not the case. Their reason is the same old woke nonsense.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

But most "independents" are dependent on TV news for information.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

There are lots of reasons for listening to the people in leadership positions. Being "scared shitless" might be one of them, but then you'd expect to see piles of turds on the floor of congress and the senate.

The Republicans were in power, so "crossing the line" would have had more practical consequences for Republicans and for those of their supporters who were encouraging them to do it . There's also the point that Trump and his administration of pliable sycophants were doing a truly rotten job, so there was quite a lot of stuff to "cross the line" about.

That's your reading of the situation. The reality is probably that enough of the kind of people who actually buy the books are woke enough that finding antiquated racial sterotypes in what they'd bought could upset them enough to generate a complaint to the publisher, and the publisher wasn't making enough out of those books to cover the cost of paying the extra people it took to deal with the complaints.

It is mostly money all the way down.

Reply to
Bill Sloman