favorite LDO?

Any preferences for a positive low-dropout linear regulator? I'd like

Leaded package, preferably no power pad

  5v or so max input

  1v min adjustable output (low enough for FPGA cores)

  500 mA or so

  dropout up to 0.5v would be OK. 1v even.

  aux bias supply is OK

I'm currently using a tiny leadless power-pad ST part that I hate. I
suspect that it goes bonkers if there is a fast charge-injection spike
on its output, too. I'm going to experiment with that today, but I
need manufacturing to solder one down to a test board; mere mortals
can't do that.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

Re: favorite LDO?
On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 08:37:07 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com

I have the TCA0372 dual opamp on the BOM already. That might make two
LDOs.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

Re: favorite LDO?
There's the LDL112DR (ST Micro), 1.2A, 5.5Vin max, 0.8 min Vout, 0.6
Vdo, SO8, 40 cents in reels

and the MCP1725/MCP1726, similar 0.5/1.2A, with 0.36Vdo, SO8, also about
40 cents.

I haven't used either of them.

There are also fixed-voltage ones in SOT23 packages, such as the
TLV74010 (1.3Vdo, 4 cents in reels).

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

LM1117-ADJ is a well studied jelly bean but only goes down to 1.25V and
just misses your 1V drop-out.

piglet

Re: favorite LDO?

That's one of my favorite parts, given the limits you mention. I have
a trick for using it with low-ESR output caps.

I could use that in a few places on my board, but not all.

Site Timeline