OT: maps.google.co.uk

I'm attempting to scrape some co-ordinates off Google maps for an upcomming trip to Great Britain. Getting the lattitude and longitude is no problem....but I don't see where the map datum is specified anywhere.

That could make a difference of a few hundred meters when I load them into my GPS and start hiking across the countryside.

Anyone see that info anywhere?

Dyslexics have more fnu.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Ordinance survey want to sell you their maps. And if you are walking then you really should have 1"/mile or better 2.5"/mile maps with you. Many paths are unclear and in poor visibility it is easy to get lost.

You could also try:

(IE 8 not supported)

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Most likely WGS84. (just googled it, and there are several references to that being the case) Why not compare with your paper street directory? (street directories in Oz here have a UTM grid reference you can convert). Good enough to a few meters.

Dave.

http://www.alternatezone.com/eevblog/
Reply to
David L. Jones

BTW, the best place to ask would be a UK Geocaching forum.

Dave.

http://www.alternatezone.com/eevblog/
Reply to
David L. Jones

British Ordnance Survey maps have both latitude/longitude using a British Grid system (similar idea to UTM). I'll try to pick a point off the maps and Google maps and see how the coordinates compare.

If God is perfect then why did He create discontinuous functions?
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.