OT Email clients

Over the years I've used Pegasus, Netscape and Eudora for email.

Eudora is no longer suppported and I'm now drawing up a short list of email clients for office use on several PCs. The move is prompted by the dreaded iPhone and the need to access stored email from different locations.

My needs are threaded messages, IMAP, GUI, runs on XP and Vista, nested mailboxes.

I've looked at Thunderbird and the Eudora derivative and I didn't like them. It seems a silly point but in the email listing I like the old Eudora method of displaying the receiver of mails you've sent and the sender of mails you receive. In Thunderbird you can display columns for sender and receiver which means that half of the information is my name, I know that because it's my email.

I've spent the last 2 days uploading my POP3 email to the office mail server so that I can have IMAP access from anywhere and took the time to reorganise the mailbox structure. I just went to look at emails in old Eudora and it can't cope with nested mailboxes.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Raveninghorde

Stick with Eudora.

I am interested, however, in finding an appropriate E-mail client for use with my LG-V9800 that can handle POP to cox.net.

Eudora nicely handles all kinds of redirection, filtering, and running an executable if you want to do your own thing.

I presently run Eudora Pro v7.1.0.9

...Jim Thompson

I'm running the same version, the last, V7.10.9.

It can't see mailboxes inside mailboxes which is the way I structured the email on the server. And it seems to be permanently checking emails in the IMAP folders rather than ever 10 minutes as it does with POP3.

Reply to
Raveninghorde

You're supposed to use _folders_ for nesting ;-)

How are you doing that? My version doesn't even show "new" if I attempt a mailbox inside a mailbox??

Eudora is the best thing since sliced bread. Before you give up, post your problems to...

comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows

...Jim Thompson

I hate to burst your bubble but Thunderbird rocks. I have the Lightning calendar add-on installed too. I love it. It gets my POP mail accounts and plays well with my business IMAP accounts.

I used squirrelmail running on the linux server.

Eudora has its own ideas about mailboxes etc. Since I want to be able to access the mail from an iPhone and eeepc as well I want a more standard client. Thunderbird and the iPhone work OK with mailboxes in mailboxes.

Reply to
Raveninghorde

You need to study Thunderbird a bit more, it will do exactly what you want: I use it that way.

Reply to
PeterD

[snip]

I was using Remo Mail on my cell, but it had a naughty habit of putting "=20" for every space. So I dropped that.

Looks like a possible replacement is available now by OZ Communications. Anyone have experience with that?

I had an exotic way of doing my mail, redirecting to a Cox account when I was away from my desk. I "pulled" from Cox... accomplishing notification by sending a text message, "You have mail" ;-)

Replies went back thru my system and Eudora, with a handler written by my son stripping and replacing headers so that reply recipient thought E-mail came from my office ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Have you tried IMAP? Excellent for sending and receiving email from multiple devices.

Doesn't your phone have a built-in email client?

Reply to
IanM

I run into this issue with some of my attorney clients. They can't wrap their head around the fact that you have to leave POP mail on server if you want to get it from multiple locations.

I've advised some that they need to buck up, get a real net services provider. I use bluehost and they're great, I got in on the $4.99 a month deal, now it's $6.99 a month for unlimited everything. Has 2,500 email addresses for my domain which can be configured as either POP3 or IMAP.

If they're too cheap to do that and don't have the vanity issues, I just set them up on Gmail. They do IMAP too.

And that's so easy: Set your main account to forwarding to an address that pours into your computation machine at your office but keep the regular box as well. That regular box must be accessed directly and this can either be via web mail or Thunderbird on your laptop or whatever. Works great. That way you always have a complete email collection at home but don't miss anything imnportant on the road.

So your attorney clients don't have web sites? Even my CPA does.

Gmail? I think I am going to get sick ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

[snip]

"" ?:-) Is that a polite way of saying "" ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

No, I meant :-/

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Lots of them don't want to pay the monthly hosting fee, even if it is less than $10 a month. So they're stuck - either use gmail or nothing.

Let's see, that would be 3% to 4% of what they make in one (!) hour. Oh man ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I know - it's crazy isn't it. What's happening is that the court are moving speed ahead with automation and streamlining, the officers of the court (attorneys) just drag their feet.

Have you been in traffic court lately ? ( my son was )

They shoved through over 40 cases in an hour, at $150 per case, thats $6000 an hour.

If you talk like you know whats going on, they just said, dismissed.

Took way too long and was ruining their hourly take.

don

Reply to
don

=20

I just=20

=46or just a tad of searching you can get minimal hosting for $49 a year and it is often included in most personal ISP accounts.

Reply to
JosephKK

Never been to traffic court in RI. Only court I've ever been to is small claims. That's an entertaining one btw.

just

Yeah - I got the full suite (Web, email, stats, promotion) for three years for $178.