OT: Looking for the Best Swivel Recliner for Computer Workstation

I sit in a recliner at my computer workstation. (Just comfy not handicapped...) The seat support fabric is ripping. :( (Bought used for $15.00)

It's time to get a new recliner for the computer station..

Favorites so far.

$160.69

$259.00

A dental chair (Just for fun.) Ebay item : 370289808582 $225

A Herman Miller ifyouhave$$$$$chair

(I hate pages that don't allow to click back.) A sleek chair but I see no swivel in the mechanics.

Anybody been down this route and what did you get?

Reply to
D from BC

I went to the store and bought the most comfortable one on the showroom floor. Only your own ass knows which chair is right for you.

If your goal is to save money, you could (a) duct tape the rip in your existing chair, or (b) start shopping around at thrift stores and liquidators.

I lucked into a captain's chair once - a little office a few doors down from mine was clearing out, and they were intending to toss the chair.

So, keep your goal in mind, and just drive around (or walk, or bike, or whatever) and keep your eyes open. :-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Why not just get it re-upholstered. Would probably be much less costly and you are familiar with it.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

I want to see if I can do better. My current chair doesn't swivel on bearings..

Here's the most expensive chair I've seen so far. Zero Gravity Chair Ebay 120484747922

$1699US Yikes! But no swivel :(

Reply to
D from BC

Ottoman/dp/B0...

"Space" makes nice office chairs. More than your typical Chinese stuff, but not as silly as Herman Miller.

Sit4less does not live up to it's name, but it's a good place to look.

I just got a basic Space chair, not this model. If you have a Costo office center, they should stock a few chairs from Space. Actually, mine was made in Taiwan.

Reply to
miso

My lab chair at work has about eight levers on it and about three knobs for lumbar bump, etc. I think it is ESD compliant, and the seat pad is over 4 inches thick and a bit firm, but built to last for at least twenty years compared to most of the crap I see out there.

The nicest thing about it is that it has six instead of four larger diameter, dual wheel per caster casters. That last one is very important if one pulls away from one's desk a lot.

In the lab, one slight kick on the floor, and this chair can roll 20 feet with ease. The little shit chairs we had required labor to simply move the distance of each leg pull.

I think this bastard was over $300 though. It has so many adjustments that make it one of the best quality chairs I have ever had. It is funny that a lot of the office personnel are using those black, net backed chairs that have zero adjustment capabilities, yet are like $500 each.

Comsumers and purchasing folks are strange animals.Some buy shit tagged as Gold, and others simply know what quality engineered products are.

Probably why I never put any stock into the upstart brands that wanted to compete with Sony and Pioneer back in the seventies on stereo receivers. I would never buy a "Technics" receiver, and there were others that are now bigger brands as a result of the seventies and eighties consumer electronics boom.

Now, we get companies like Coby that get into the game by selling total shit. Now, they have some products that are good, but mostly still total cheap shit full of cut corners where it counts.

Reply to
Mycelium

The chair I am sitting in is from the 50s. It has a cast iron (but Nickel plated) back that connects the back with the seat. It had already been re-upholstered once before, but I want to go get one of these Mexican custom car shops to re-do the seat. The bad parts of it are the screw shaft, which is ugly and clunky to use, and the base construction, which only uses like a 1.5 inch wheel on each caster. I wish I could incorporate the back and plated arm into a more modern base portion.

It is the style of metal work one used to see on old dentist or barber's chairs. Pretty cool.

Meow

Reply to
MeowSayTongue

It isn't even worth $400.

You could put the entire chair on a big 'lazy susan'.

Reply to
Mycelium

That looks like the same caster base as the one I have at work. Perhaps that is the brand we were looking at. I'l check today at work.

Reply to
Mycelium

D from BC Inscribed thus:

Ouch ! That a pain in the butt (wallet) (*)

--
Best Regards:
                Baron.

I dunno if my crappy chair deserves an elegant fix..

The seat support of my chair is stretched fabric (buck hammock?) which is ripping. So.. Pulled out the fabric and replaced it with...duct tape.. Good enough until I find a better chair..

*Inspired by duct tape experiments done on Mythbusters.
Reply to
D from BC

Yup.. I can design a knock-off and I'm guessing a shop make the mechanics for less than $200..

Slap on some covered memory foam and it's up around $400.00.

Reply to
D from BC

Two big delrin thrust washers (four actually) for the rim of the platform and 'bumper ring', and the lazy suzan bearing underneath would be all you would need. Slop some food grade lube on the faces of the rim bearings and you're off to the races.

Reply to
Mycelium

I did that trick once ! I had an armchair with an elastic web support for the cushion. The webbing failed over a period and I used duct/gaffer tape to make a repair. Alas the chair is no more ! It got replaced by a cheap (Argos) typists swivel chair.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

'rim of the platform'?

Is that about the mechanics for the recline position?

Reply to
D from BC

It's a bit iffy using duct tape in this app. I'm sitting on 2 layers(crossed) duct tape stretched across 2ft x 2ft. If I got primo duct tape.. I expect no failure.

Reply to
D from BC

A round plywood disk, carpeted out to all but the last two or three inches from the outer edge on the interior side is the 'platform. or 'base', which is perhaps more correct, since it is down near the ground.

The outer three inches, or, 'the rim' would have a one inch wide by say

0.062 inch thick ring of Delrin or Teflon pasted to the underside of it.

You build a round ring that sits on the floor at the outer 'rim' diameter, which provides a 'step' for the 'base' 'rim' to sit on. It doesn't bear the weight of the chair, the lazy Susan bearing underneath does that. It just keeps the thing sitting level. You carpet the outside of that ring with the same treatment as the base, and then captivate it by putting another Delrin face on the other side of 'the rim' of 'the base'. Then, my original direction made in the previous post makes sense. Platform is now 'base'.

Reply to
Mycelium

Actually thinking about what you said earlier, you could use canvas to replace the seat support and have a nice new cushion to go on top.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.