OT: Last know good Thunderbird version that won't white-screen on Win-7?

Here's my experience with Thunderbird and Win7. I migrated a user from their old XP box to a Win7 box. They used POP3 email, always downloading the email to the XP box and then deleting it off the server. They didn't sort their mail into any folders other than the Inbox, Sent Mail, and Trash folders that Thunderbird provides by default. The XP box had F-Prot antivirus on it.

For their new box, I got a refurbished Dell with Win7 on it. Since this PC originally shipped with Vista, the refurbisher didn't restore the OS image that came from Dell; they installed it from a "clean" Win7 CD. I ran the PC for a few days in the "as found" condition to make sure the hardware was OK. I then removed the hard drive that was in it, installed a newer blank hard drive, and did a fresh install of Win7 to that hard drive. Then I installed the latest version of the apps they had on their XP box, including Thunderbird. I was doing this right after Christmas - a couple of weeks ago - so it was whatever version of Thunderbird was current at that time. I also installed F-Prot antivirus on the machine.

To migrate their email, I followed the directions on the Thunderbird web site to copy the profile directory from the XP box to the Win7 box. I then started up Thunderbird and it Just Worked[tm] - it could log into the POP3 server and retrieve mail, and all their existing mail was there in the Inbox, Sent Mail, and Trash folders.

On Win7, the only "maintenance" thing I did to Thunderbird was to delete most of the emails in the Trash folder (mostly spam) from within Thunderbird. I then right-clicked each folder in the Thunderbird folder list and selected "Compact". This made the Trash folder file much smaller, but didn't do much for the Inbox and Sent Mail folders.

That PC has been with the user for about a week and half now and I know they've used their email in that time. No complaints so far.

Possibly useless information: At least for POP3, Thunderbird stores email in basically flat files, one file per folder, with (IIRC) a separate index file. If you delete an email, it's just marked "deleted" in the flat file; Thunderbird doesn't re-write the whole file to remove the deleted message. Over time, this can make the file kind of large. When you tell Thunderbird to "compact" a folder, it reads through the entire flat file for that folder, and writes a new file containing only messages that haven't been deleted. It also updates the index file as it does this. Finally, it replaces the old folder file (with deleted messages) with the new one and life goes on.

I don't know.

may help. It is a third-party site, but I've downloaded other applications from them before, and they seemed to work OK.

I did the "Manually moving files" method in

which refers you to
which tells you how to do it.

I think I'm going to join my voice to the "dump McAfee" chorus. First try uninstalling it. If that's not possible, or you think it hasn't uninstalled all the way, look in Task Manager to find the names of the McAfee processes that are running, and try to match those up to the .exe files in (probably) "C:\Program Files\McAfee" or (maybe) "C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee" or similar. Then boot into Safe Mode, go into that directory, and rename the relevant .exe files to .xex. Then reboot normally and see what happens.

If McAfee is currently installed in the "Program Files (x86)" directory, that could be part of your problem. That directory is for 32-bit programs, which "mostly" work OK on 64-bit Win7 - mostly. If you bought this computer new recently - like within the past year or two - they

*should not* have installed a 32-bit antivirus, but OEMs do all kinds of dumb things. Getting a 64-bit version of whatever antivirus you would like to use would be better.

Standard disclaimers apply: I don't get money or other consideration from any companies mentioned.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

I'm running Thunderbird 31.30 under Window 7 ( version 6.1, build 7601, ser vice pack 1) without anything exciting happening. Sometimes an e-mail takes a while to down-load and the relevant window doesn't display any content u ntil the whole e-mail has downloaded, but that's a bad as it gets.

I use Norton for computer security, and it pops up and claims to have done something useful from time to time.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I won't use McAfee AV on any computer.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Joerg - I am using TB 31.3.0 on Win 7 Enterprise, V6.1, Service Pack 1.

No problems.

Reply to
John S

I thought he had just bought a brand new Dell with Win7 preinstalled and unfortunately a whole bunch of corporate sponsorred nagware that they try to pass off as evaluation copies wanting payment after 60 days.

I wouldn't trust any machine "protected" by McCoffee myself. YMMV

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Dunno. I read it as "he just upgraded" -- which could mean "bought a new machine with a factory install of W7" *or* "installed W7 over an existing XP/Vista system". I've never had much faith in MS's "upgrade in place" process. Seems rife for things to go bad in unpredictable ways...

I've seen problems with many AV products, over the years. And, from the machines I've been called on to "fix", it appears they are dubious, at best, in providing the protection they advertise.

Reply to
Don Y

Are you talking about a momentary slow down lasting a few seconds or so? I am running Windows 8 and I see that with T-bird a lot. Mostly it is not much different from other momentary delays such as when some OS function is thrashing the hard drive for a bit. Sometimes though T-bird will go into its own little frozen mode where I don't see anything maxed out in the Task Manager display and it may last for 5 or 10 seconds, very occasionally longer.

When this happens to me (the longer than 10 second delay) I shut it down and restart T-bird.

I don't get a white screen though, so Windows doesn't think it is frozen.

It doesn't happen to me often enough to be a productivity killer, more of a productivity annoyer.

--

Rick
Reply to

That is pure nonsense. At one point there was an effort to use the flexibility of T-bird to give it an optional look and feel like Eudora. I think it was called Penelope. But T-bird is totally independent from Eudora and was designed and written without a thought of Eudora which is very clear from the user interface, much less the workings.

--

Rick
Reply to

I've been using Sophos for many years with good results, also it is free if you are happy downloading a new password every month. But under Windows 8 some of the UI is crippled such as the pop up that lets you update the application checksums when it finds an app that has been updated. Also every time I open Sophos I UAC takes over the entire screen to warn me and get permission to run it. You'd think they could figure out how to get around that sort of thing.

--

Rick
Reply to

I notice you aren't writing software... :)

My laptop has 16 GB of RAM just so I wouldn't have to think about RAM any more. But the browsers are so RAM hungry that if I have a few dozen tabs open RAM usage gets up to 15 GB. Wow! I don't see any other apps using anything remotely like that much memory including the OS.

So don't blame programmers. Just blame browser programmers. BTW, why didn't you get 16 or 32 GB of RAM? Are you planning to throw away this machine in 6 months?

--

Rick
Reply to

This is basically just aggressive caching AIUI. The memory is still available for other programs if they need it. The browsers just use memory that is not being used for anything else. In case you want to suddenly go back 200 pages in your browsing history then the website is there, pre-rendered. If you only had 4G of RAM the browser would still work fine.

32G here :) useful for running VMs.

I still brought it to its knees by running "make -j" to build some downloaded software. I think there were about 1000 instances of gcc going simultaneously before it ground to a virtual halt :)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

before cookies and all the spam and data mining horseshit, it didn't happen either. Then again, not too bright to think of having 10 or 20 or

50 'tabs' open. absolutely no need for it when the history panel works just fine with only a few tabs open.

Why test the system?

However, IF you really wanted performance, then you should run your 16GB multi-tabbed environment under a Linux kernel. Gets rid of all that "half your CPU cycles anti-spam-anti-virus 'front end'. To hell with the junk in yout trunk! Look at that belly!

Windows is disgusting, and STILL VULNERABLE. WAKE UP PEOPLE!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Pretty cool. Under Windows or Linux? (I am betting the latter).

I use compiling the MAME emulator package. Get all the dependencies and the build takes quite a while on my 4 core i3 laptop. I can't remember if I ever compiled it on my i7 3930k 12 core yet.

But that is what I use now, instead of kernel compiles, which used to be my "fun benchmark tool".

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Yup. Sometimes more than just a few seconds.

I have pretty much accepted that as well. It's a newly introduced annoyance, probably thanks to a "modern" OS.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

... Oh! Need to do even more mountain biking.

When I retire I try Linux again.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

During these tests none (turned it off, just to make sure).

I get the occasional white-screen. It's not full white, more milky where you can still see the email text through a thick haze. But it will not react to any keyboard input then. So now there are certain actions I only do before brief or longer breaks.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I am aware of all of that and regularly cull emails to keep the file sizes reasonable.

Aha! Thanks.

Right now it's all turned off. But I will ditch it because it messes wit the Windows firewall and I do not like it when other SW cut into my decision making.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yes linux, natively (compiling kicad). Instructions said to type "make" so I thought I would cleverly speed things up a bit with "-j", meaning roughly "compile in parallel using as many processes as you like". Should have used "-j8" or similar so as to limit it to one per (hyperthread) core.

Laptop is a i7-4900mq (thinkpad w540). It really flies.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Yes.

Only has 1-year pre-paid McAfee and that's turned off for such tests. There is an MS-Office nagware on it as well but it is mostly quiet. Those two I could not refuse during ordering.

Windows 7 managed to refuse my old Logitech Quickcam. Same thing as with the printer, no error messages, it just plain don't work. Same for the microphone. Great.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I use V24 right now. It runs somewhat ok, or let's say well enough for now as long as I don't do certain things.