RISC OS White Screen of Death

At last with the Raspberry Pi RISC OS has caught up with Windows! It now has its own equivalent of The MicroSoft Blue screen of Death.

Configuring the Screen blank delay produces a "White screen of Death which is quite tricky to escape from.

To reproduce the problem on RISC OS 5.21 (8 July 13) :-

Important. Take a copy of !Boot.Choices.Boot.PreDesk.Configure.Monitor and keep it somewhere safe on the RasPi.

Open the RISC OS Configuration window and select Screen.

Change the Blank delay up or down and click Set.

On my machine anyway I now see a square white screen with black edges with a very large arrow cursor that can be moved around using the mouse. There is not much else you can do sadly.

To get your machine back. Switch off; switch on; press Esc until RISC OS boots up in VGA mode. Then delete the now empty !Boot.Choices.Boot.PreDesk.Configure.Monitor and copy in the one you saved. Reboot and all is well.

If anyone can confirm that this problem is not peculiar to me I will report it to ROOL.

John

--
John Rickman -  http://rickman.orpheusweb.co.uk/lynx
I don't want to set the world on fire / I just want to start a flame

Unable to confirm fault - what screen saver are you using?

Richard

Reply to
Richard Ashbery

Richard Ashbery wrote

DPMS

John

--
John Rickman -  http://rickman.orpheusweb.co.uk/lynx
"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darueber muss man schweigen."

Performing action above on DPMS does not crash my R-Pi. Have you placed a new program into Run-at-startup that may cause a conflict?

Try running Reporter in Boot logging mode and see if it throws up any unusual messages. If that doesn't help post a message to the ROOL forum.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Ashbery

Isn't that the old VGA signalling standard that let the computer tell the monitor to switch itself off? Does that even make sense to use on a modern HDMI connected display?

Bryan.

--
RISC OS User Group Of London  -  http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show           -  http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/

Bryan Hogan wrote

AFAICT It is the default setting for screen saver on RISC OS. I don't know how much sense it makes.

John

--
John Rickman -  http://rickman.orpheusweb.co.uk/lynx
"Poetry is a MUG's game" - TS Eliot

Yes it does, because it tells the monitor to turn off. The alternative is the monitor backlight on but displaying a black screen (which only saves power if it's an OLED screen). The method of turning off one or more syncs to go into power saving mode still works over digital video, it's just virtual sync signals over a digital channel rather than separate physical wires.

HDMI is a superset of DVI, and DVI supports DPMS so HDMI monitors often do too. But monitors/TVs can also powersave via CEC. Linux on the Pi supports CEC (via tvservice or libcec - not configured by default AFAIK) but RISC OS doesn't.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos