OT: IPCC too conservative with AGW predictions - danger worse than stated

about

be, too

pred...

opposite.

nd

fruit"

ease when

drilling

tal

rum.org

?". His

hat

dback

his

B)

.p...

ould be.

ows a lag

tivities

ns of

, the

with the

ental

o about

isasters

lls that

f about

se

and our

otection

mes as

be a

e work

easures

hile as a

proposed

ean

and

gy. Oil

energy

ing world

ing.

in their

. They want

ls. They

. Get used

them.

ng

ts on agricultural plant life grown in a high CO2 environment:

Actually, they don't. One tuber roughly doubled it's food content when grown in a high CO2 atmosphere. Positive outcomes are pretty rare, but not unknown, any more than random genetic mutations are always deleterious.

The PR effects of hurricane Sandy were played up to the hilt, but that's way newspapers work.

Whereas John Pollyanna Larkin knows that everything is for the best in this the best of all possible worlds.

In much the same way that he knows that his circuit designs are insanely good.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

We need to worry about the people that are pulling those puppets' strings ;-)

--
M0WYM
www.radiowymsey.org

Sales @ radiowymsey
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Sales-At-Radio-Wymsey/
Reply to
RipeCrisbies

They aren't so much sensible as tax-averse. Carbon taxes and carbon credits are designed to exploit the power of the free market to minimise carbon dioxide emissions by adjusting the cost of burning fossil carbon to reflect that damage that the carbon dioxide emitted is doing to the environment. It's an extra tax, but there's nothing to stop society balancing it by reducing other taxes which aren't as helpful to the long-term existence of our society.

It does make more sense not to burn the carbon in the first place, but adjusting the price of fossil carbon fuel to reflect the long term costs of burning it could make carbon sequestration economically attractive as a transitional solution.

The problem is that many who don't want to go to the trouble and expense of doing something about it express their reluctance by claiming that there really isn't any anthropogenic global warming that needs anything done about it.

The analogy with the first - of the five - stages of coping with incipient death (or - in this case - bankruptcy) listed by Kübler-Ross

Denial -, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance

has lead pretty much everybody to call this denialism, but in fact it's mostly short-sighted commercial calculation, which has lead Exxon- Mobil - amongst a great many other organisations who make their money by extracting fossil carbon and selling it as fuel - to spend quite a few million dollars funding campaigns to sow (spurious) doubt about the validity scientific evidence demonstrating progressive anthropogenic global warming and predicting that it's going to get worse.

The campaigns are actually prosecuted by organisations that were originally set up by the tobacco industry to sow doubt about the evidence that demonstrated that smoking is bad for your health.

3942

Which does mean that we do have bother arguing the case with the gullible suckers who have fallen for the propaganda.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Who cares who precisely is pulling their strings? It's the actions (or stupid obstructions) that count.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

My! My! Slowman has acquired a sycophant.

'Tis how ignorance spreads. Hear something discussed that you don't understand... so you take it on faith... and spread it further. ...Jim Thompson

PCC about

to be, too

.

ce-pred...

he opposite.

e and

ing fruit"

ncrease when

oil drilling

mental

nforum.org

ext?". His

s that

feedback

to his

99 kB)
031.pdf(8

should be.

shows a lag

activities

tions of

now, the

ibly

al with the

onmental

e do about

e disasters

awalls that

t of about

ourse

e, and our

protection

times as

uld be a

the work

g measures

awhile as a

een proposed

clean

ity and

he

al

nergy. Oil

of energy

loping world

pening.

eat in their

ops. They want

itals. They

rgy. Get used

on.

for them.

and

us

ing

fects on agricultural plant life grown in a high CO2 environment:

olar

e.

eveloped water now to serve all interests at their desired levels (consider ing enterprise economics as well as operational factors). There is also lit tle political will (e.g., fears that voters will not support the $11 billio n worth of water infrastructure and management improvement bonds in the mid st of a serious recession48 ) and scarce economic resources available to bu ild new infrastructure as both State and Federal budgets are currently impa cted by large

l.

prices.

. But

n.

Just amazing how there's no limit to what an opinionated redneck 'thinks' h e knows...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

about

be, too

opposite.

and

fruit"

increase when

drilling

environmental

ourwww.baltimoregreenforum.org

next?". His

that

feedback

his

kB)

should be.

shows a lag

activities

concentrations of

the

with the

environmental

about

disasters

seawalls that

about

course

and our

protection

times as

be a

work

measures

awhile as a

proposed

clean

and

energy. Oil

energy

developing world

happening.

in their

They want

hospitals. They

Get used

them.

effects on agricultural plant life grown in a high CO2 environment:

water now to serve all interests at their desired levels (considering enterprise economics as well as operational factors). There is also little political will (e.g., fears that voters will not support the $11 billion worth of water infrastructure and management improvement bonds in the midst of a serious recession48 ) and scarce economic resources available to build new infrastructure as both State and Federal budgets are currently impacted by large

prices.

But

knows...

You don't think that rice and cotton need a lot of water? You think that California farmers are paying market rates for water? You don't think that salinity buildup is a problem for agriculture? Do you think at all?

It's weird that people in LA are allowed to water their lawns and fill their swimming pools, and farmers can grow completely unnatural crops like cotton and rice, while we have water rationing in Northern California, where most of the water is. The water problem in California, like most of our problems, is political in origin.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

What did FEMA do the prevent loss of life what Sandy struck? OK, that's a rhetorical question: they did nothing.

What's the difference between 1900 Galveston and 2012 Rockaway Beach? Well, Rockaway had satellite images to give warning; Galveston was pretty much taken by surprise. The Galveston storm of September 1900 was far more intense that Sandy; much of the town was ground to bits.

The wind speed was estimated at 135 MPH; the official wind gage blew away at

100. Roughly a quarter of the population of Galveston died.

dreadful?

The time boundary between "weather" and "climate" keeps getting extended to accommodate the climate models that don't work.

Sure, keep borrowing a trillion dollars per year forever. We'll have Greek dynamics: nobody will want to lend us more money, interest rates will go up, debt service will become impossible; step and repeat.

Why do people think that things will always be the same? Weeks before the last real estate crash, most everyone was saying that it couldn't happen. Just because an ever-inflating balloon hasn't popped yet is not a good argument that it never will.

Minute compared to the effects of mining and transporting and burning coal.

Burning coal gets almost all its energy from carbon. Gas, about half. In most situations, a 2:1 improvement is considered to be pretty good.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

and

Yep. It's only part of the history, but "Cadillac Desert" is a whale of a good book. "Water" a lot got Reagan elected; Carter was going after the Central Valley farmers for nonpayment of water rates.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Well said, but please look into a mirror, along with your other denialist cronies. It's what right-whine talk radio has been doing for many years. I think they have a subcarrier with "subliminable" (GWB) messages beamed into the highly susceptible brains of those who accept such media as their primary (and sometimes only) source of information. Fortunately they are in the minority, and losing credibility as their worst fears have been shown to be delusions.

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

Invest in a care giver to hold your hand through life, as you are currently a major failure, f*****ad.

Nice dismissal attempt of your utter cluelessness, btw, f*****ad.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

and

OK, I'll read that. I don't know a lot about California history.

Speakin of, "Season of the Witch" by David Talbot is a great book.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

"The use of 1,000 acre-feet of water produces 9,000 jobs in the semiconductor industry,..." No need to read any further, the author has a serious problem with cause and effect.

and

Politics driven by economic interests as usual. Your kind of government.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

industry,..." No need to read any further, the author has a serious problem with cause and effect.

He's stating numbers. Do you question the accuracy?

If companies move jobs out of California because water and energy and employees and taxes are too expensive, then our priorities are wrong. BigAg makes big bucks growing rice with cheap subsidized water, and creates few jobs.

There are lots of semiconductor companies in California, but not so many semi fabs. Or many electronic assembly jobs. It's too expensive to do business here, and water is one more over-inflated expense. Cap-and-trade will jack up energy cost, driving out more jobs.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

at

that

uctor industry,..." No need to read any further, the author has a serious p roblem with cause and effect.

loyees

ig

semi

here,

nergy

The expense of water supply is minuscule compared to the expense of wastewa ter treatment from semiconductor fabrication, so you're not even looking at the right process and your argument is flawed. Overpopulation has driven t he cost of living in California more than any other cause. And ALL monocult ure is unnatural in case you didn't know that, and potassium salt residue f rom fertilization is a problem with intensive agriculture everywhere. The stats: Agriculture (including fruit, vegetables, dairy, and wine production) is a major California industry. In fact, California is the world's fifth largest supplier of food and agriculture commodities.[21][page needed] Airborne ex ports of perishable fruits and vegetables amounted to approximately $579 mi llion in 2007.[22] By way of comparison, California exported more agricultu ral products by air that year than 23 other states did by all modes of tran sport.[22]

According to the California Department of Food and Agriculture, "California agriculture is nearly a $36.6 billion dollar industry that generates $100 billion in related economic activity."[23] The state?s agricultural sales first exceeded $30 billion in 2004,[24] making it more than twice the size of any other state's agriculture industry.

California is the leading dairy state.[25] Milk is California's number one farm commodity.[24] California's dairy industry generated $47 billion "in e conomic activity" in 2004 and employed over 400,000 people."[25]

And you have the nerve to ask if someone else is thinking? Get real, just b ecause you know very little about a subject matter doesn't mean there is no thing to it.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

semiconductor industry,..." No need to read any further, the author has a serious problem with cause and effect.

employees

here,

energy

[...]

California's unemployment rate is 10.1%, and it's very unevenly distributed. Productive businesses and productive people are leaving.

Texas' unemployment rate is 6.6%, and it is attracting people and businesses and jobs, many from California.

One big reason is that the Texas legislature meets for 140 days every two years, and California's legislature is full-time. We far outperform Texas in the numbers of laws and fees and regulations that we pass.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

ed.

ses and

Texas lost out to North Carolina this year:

years,

Texas does have impressive business statistics. But the place is a hellhol e and Perry is the Governor, and I don't know what you would call the kind of people who elect people like him and Bush. Nobody from Texas has anythin g to good to say about the place.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

was

dreadful?

Where? Cite please.

huge

Why "forever"?

You've already got Greek dynamics - the only difference is that your tax avoidance is built into your legal system, and the Greeks went in for illegal tax evasion.

that

John Larkin can only think straight - he can't manage anything more demanding than linear extrapolation.

But not good enough.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

t because you know very little about a subject matter doesn't mean there is nothing to it.

ed.

Hey, progressive depopulation, that's progress! Remove those pesky [jobs / employers and employees]^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H carbon / pollution sources. Balanced approach! Fare[tm] Share! FORWARD!

James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

because you know very little about a subject matter doesn't mean there is nothing to it.

Just a minute ago I got a festive email from the Northern Nevada Development Authority, inviting me to a Christmas party.

The last communications I got from a California authority demanded that I hire a consultant to do an energy audit, with a deadline-or-else clause.

It's interesting to drive along the north rim of Lake Tahoe, along highway 28 across the state line. The transition from California to Nevada is marked by the disappearance of potholes in the road. One quickly passes through Incline Village, known locally as Income Village because of the number of rich expatriot Californians in residence.

It's great that we have states that compete for people and business. Well, some aren't smart enough to compete.

Nevada has no individual or corporate income tax. Ditto Texas. California just increased its top income tax rate to over 13%.