[OT] I'm Available for Work

I don't think you can draw that conclusion. Boards need a perimeter for handling and there is the question of via size allowed. With no traces under the 6 mm chip I don't see how it can be routed on an 8 mm board.

--

Rick
Reply to

Of course. I make the rules.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

f layers.

he

ty

even half via along the edge) outside the package. Diagonal chip mounting would help as well. This requires some out of the box thinking, but not to o difficult.

If you mount the chip 45 degrees to the board and allows at least one trace on either sides of unlimited layers PCB. It can be done. One can argue w hat "no traces below chip" means. Does it means the area directly under th e chip, or the package, or including the pins?

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

of layers.

the

etty

r even half via along the edge) outside the package. Diagonal chip mountin g would help as well. This requires some out of the box thinking, but not too difficult.

ce on either sides of unlimited layers PCB. It can be done. One can argue what "no traces below chip" means. Does it means the area directly under the chip, or the package, or including the pins?

45 degrees will have the corners sticking out. Perhaps 35 to 40 degrees.
Reply to
edward.ming.lee

you don't have to have a perimeter for handling, with such small boards separating them from the panel would be one of the very last steps

if it would be possible to route would depend on where the pins need to go and how many you need to get to

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

PCB design is an engineering effort involving dimensions and tolerances, not a mathematical problem of topology.

--

Rick
Reply to

r of layers.

f the

retty

or even half via along the edge) outside the package. Diagonal chip mounti ng would help as well. This requires some out of the box thinking, but not too difficult.

for

es

.

trace on either sides of unlimited layers PCB. It can be done. One can ar gue what "no traces below chip" means. Does it means the area directly und er the chip, or the package, or including the pins?

s.

Mounting the chip at an angle (yes, need to determine the angle carefully) will allow traces to route out to vias on the sides. All you need is one t race per layer from one side to another side of the board.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

It's on my to-do list to just post the pdfs on my web page. Thanks for the reminder. Maybe I should get to that this weekend -- Joerg (from SED) mentioned that I should put my recent analog experience up in my "capabilities" section, as well.

Shortly after posting my plea, and entirely independent of it, a whole bunch of short-term work fell into my in-basket. It's that whole Murphy thing -- I'm sure that if I'd kept my fingers off the keyboard that I'd still be looking an one-and-only-one customer right now.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I could see, if I were hurting for work, writing a clause into the contract that states that inasmuch as the project is technically risky, as long as I follow their specifications they assume all risk.

Then I'd ask for money up front...

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

r of layers.

f the

retty

or even half via along the edge) outside the package. Diagonal chip mounti ng would help as well. This requires some out of the box thinking, but not too difficult.

for

es

.

trace on either sides of unlimited layers PCB. It can be done. One can ar gue what "no traces below chip" means. Does it means the area directly und er the chip, or the package, or including the pins?

s.

mounting the part at an angle might avoid a lot of vias and leave more room for track if alot of them have to go in one direction

eakout_front.jpg

6mm square is more than 8mm diagonal so it won't fit at 45 degree

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Contracting can be tricky, and very often the customer expectations are largely uncorrelated to the wording of the contract.

Still trying to figure out what the purpose of the open-drain Hall-effect latch is...

S.

Reply to
Steve Pope

[...]

I recognize that. When I was younger, I would criticize older engineers for using Fortran where I would prefer C instead. Now I get criticized by all the young bucks for using C, because they prefer Python or LabView.

When a technical challenge is new, it's captivating and exciting to find a solution. By the time you have to solve the same problem for the third time because your old solution has become obsolete, it's tedium.

There comes a time you just don't want to learn yet another solution to a problem you solved long ago to your own satisfaction. I'll happily learn something new when I believe it to be profitable.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

My brother is not an engineer and has an interesting project where he is taking a government designed system and commercializing it. He has a mechanical engineer but the electrical engineer isn't working out because he has a full time job plus is moonlighting other projects too. I was talking to him about the project and at one point he said that the board which needs to be redesigned due to parts obsolescence has to amplify the signal, "so the software doesn't have any problems with it", meaning to not distort the signal. But that is a bit of a difficult way to spec it for the engineer designing it. The acceptance test is whether the software has bugs or not! lol

I think the reality is they don't even need the extra amplifier. There are two systems and I only see the amplifier board in the one, not the other that they wish to get in production. That's how poor the documentation is, we can't tell what the system is made of.

--

Rick
Reply to

Perhaps this is a situation where they demo'ed one design but hope to productize a lower-cost variant.

Cost-reduction algorithm:

"Remove components until the system fails, then add back in the last component you removed."

S.

Reply to
Steve Pope

Some of us ol' farts don't freeze up into fixed opinions... I'm still knocking out patents... and I'm less than a month away from celebrating my 19th birthday ;-) ...Jim Thompson

There are conservation principles. It's not pig-headed to rely on conservation of energy. Or to think that no society can, in the long term, consume more than it produces, or accumulate debt without limit.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Speed or RPM sensing sensing North pole turns on south pole turns off (Honeywell SS361). Position sensing from two small magnets (electric windows or soft tops) etc....

In this case they were trying to use it as the power switch to supply

3V3 to ALL devices as in the actual 3V3 not an enable or anything like that.
    PC Services
  Raspberry Pi Add-ons
 Timing Diagram Font
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul

OK explain to me how you would fit a 48 pin QFP with 6 x 6 mm pin tip to pin tip dimension on DOUBLE sided board 8mm wide. When an area roughly 3 x 3 mmm underneath the chip must NOT be used must be ground plane. This is to avoid edges on the Digital signals interfering with the die, its ground and the bluetooth transmitter.

Also once you have left at minimum a 0.5 mm gap between copper and PCB edge you now have a MAXIMUM of 7mm PCB width to fit it in.

    PC Services
  Raspberry Pi Add-ons
 Timing Diagram Font
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul

Consider setting out special terms for contract but I would have required money up front and double rates.

Then when told we have not built a prototype yet, this is it, not even eval boards hooked together, I decided fly by night no idea merchants. No doubt they were later hoping for kickstarter to fund production.

    PC Services
  Raspberry Pi Add-ons
 Timing Diagram Font
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul

None of that surprises me, once asked to look at replacement part design for a body scanner, and asked how old it was and they said -

"The earliest documentation we can find is when it moved to the new building in 1968".

I was asked around 2003...

    PC Services
  Raspberry Pi Add-ons
 Timing Diagram Font