OT: How we're preparing for COVID-19 over here

A little background first: "Over here" means a state the size of Israel in eastern India, sandwiched between Bangladesh and Burma (Myanmar) with a population of 1.7 million. We have little in common with mainstream India - language, culture, religion, even our physical appearance are quite different. Towns and large villages are divided into localities called "Veng" which also serve as administrative blocks with their own elected councils.

Our NGOs are well organised and for the past several decades, they have maintained P.A. systems covering each Veng. This is particularly useful in emergencies. We have a close-knit society and, in normal times, it would be very unusual for as few as a hundred people to attend the funeral of the poorest and least significant member of society. When someone dies, NGOs take care of everything.

Today is the 14th day of the 21-day lockdown ordered by the Indian Prime Minister. Local councils and NGOs have formed a local task force and place themselves on duty at strategic locations, working with the police in enforcing the curfew in a firm but courteous manner.

They make announcements over the PA system, keeping the people informed and asking anyone who needs help in anything to call them. They give food and other essentials to out-of-state people who did not have time to prepare for the lockdown. Once in a while, a couple of local task force members go around offering essential foodstuff like rice, eggs, onions, potatoes, pulses, etc. for sale at normal prices. Profiteering is forbidden.

Church services are suspended of course, but each local church rings its bell at the usual times and ask each household to conduct family worship times. Gospel music is occasionally played over the PA system. Tomorrow being Palm Sunday, church bells will ring at 11:00 am and Hosannas will be led over the PA system.

The state's new and only medical college - a small one by Western standards - has been earmarked as a treatment centre for COVID-19 patients. So far there's only one confirmed case in the state - a Baptist pastor who returned from the Netherlands on March 16 and developed symptoms while in self-quarantine. The whole family was whisked away to the centre. He's reported to be recovering. His family was tested and pronounced free of the virus. They issued a profound apology on social media for introducing the virus in the state.

The sole airport is closed, as are state borders except to carriers of essential goods. The last flight was a special one chartered by the government to bring in medical supplies like PPEs, ventilators, etc. Masks, gloves, PPEs and disinfectants are widely distributed. The government is doing what it can to help those of our people who are stranded in other states.

Despite all this, it's unlikely that the pandemic will bypass the state. It's just not possible to watch and control everything. We'll just have to wait and see.

Reply to
Pimpom

Entirely incidentally my mother lived with her first husband, an English professor, for two years in Kerala around 1970-1972. That was a time when a white woman in a Western bathing-suit at a Trivandrum beach was a novelty to many people I guess.

That beach is much different now it's all resort hotels and such and built up, I'm sure the tourist industry is going to take a huge hit everywhere there that has one.

They lived next door to some Soviet "advisors" for a while everyone seemed to think they were pains in the ass Mom and her husband included lol

Reply to
bitrex

Never been to Kerala myself. However, I was in the neighbouring state of Tamil Nadu around the time your mom was in Kerala. I was working at the Christian Medical College Hospital, at that time considered to be one of the top hospitals in Asia.

I'm not sure your mom et al were seen as PITA. Those days in particular, foreigners were very much looked up to in India. I don't look Indian so, even though I was only a technician then, many of my fellow workers called me "Sir".

Reply to
Pimpom

Well, you have been civilized for a couple of thousand years longer than us.

What's the weather like now? Warm may help.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Historically in temperate climates mortality rate from all natural causes had two peaks, in April and May and again in late August and September. Back to antiquity it seems to have been this way in Rome and ancient Egypt extrapolated from mummies and tooth wear patterns.

It's all complicated now with central heating and air conditioning widely available. it varies with a lot of demographics.

I don't think it's known precisely to science why common viral illness like the cold and flu seem to favor colder months vs. warmer there are competing hypothesis.

Reply to
bitrex