OT: How to replace sliding glass door latch?

Or, like in our case, the previous owner had a paint job done on them. Nice job, but now there are no labels anywhere. Says Herculite on the glass but that doesn't necessarily means the whole door is from there. It's really thick glass, heavy.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

OTOH, I never found the latch parts for the slider in my VT house. I never found the brand so a search was pretty useless. We used a 2x4 in the track.

Reply to
krw

Yeah, like I said, I couldn't on the slider in my last house. This house doesn't have an sliders, thankfully. The back porch has three regular doors, one a French door.

Reply to
krw

Here is the Prime-Line catalog of sliding door parts. I replaced the lock on my door a few months ago. Item 141640 on page 14-12.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I hate French doors. They can be a royal pain in the ass.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Thanks! Bookmarked it in case my HW store trip comes up dry.

They got tons of mortise locks. I didn't even know they come in 45 and

90 degree key versions. Whatever the reason for that might be.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

parts

How so? They stink? ;-)

Reply to
krw

Dutch doors are cool, but I can't imagine where I'd put one.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You have to be smarter than the lockset. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

looked

the

parts

windows

known

doors,

No. They are often installed in places that put them in the way. For instance, the set between my dining room and family room swing out over the steps. They are annoying, and i ripped one of them off the pivots when it cause me to trip and I fell down the steps. I landed with my chest on the back of an office chair and nearly passed out. I was sore for a month, and in pain for over a week.

A real door, swung the other way wouldn't have caused the accident.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Wha

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

What lockset?

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

parts

windows

That is the Prime-Line website. They only sell in quantity, but their catalogs help you identify the part you need. They had links to retailers, though. A door company would be a good place to start, if the hardware stores can't help. With a part number you might even find it on Ebay.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

looked

the

any

can't

using a

parts

windows

known

doors,

All of our doors swing inward. The French door swings into the living part of the great room and up against a couple of casement windows so they're out of the way. The porch is screened in so those doors stay open in nice weather. I thought inward swinging (residential) entrance doors were code.

Reply to
krw

So are saloon doors, but I wouldn't use one as an entrance door. ;-)

Reply to
krw

looked

probably

and the

any

screws

almost

can't

apart

anymore.

using a

so, parts

windows

known

doors,

These were between two rooms, not entry doors. On top of that, they are each hinged in the middle so there are four 18" panels.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

looked

probably

and the

there any

screws

almost

can't

apart

anymore.

using a

so, parts

windows

known

house

doors,

Oh. Bifold doors certainly stink. I rather like French doors. They're certainly better than sliders.

Reply to
krw

web, looked

probably

out, and the

from

there any

screws

almost

you can't

apart

anymore.

using a

so, parts

casement windows

well known

in

Then

house

regular doors,

of

weather. I

My dad wants to replace a set of sliding doors at his house. I'd rather try to find new rollers for him, first.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

So, it wasn't the "frenchness" of the door, but the fact that they were installed inside-out.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

looked

the

any

can't

apart

using a

parts

windows

known

doors,

of

Home Depot carries some. Whether they'll have what you need, who knows? I was able to get some, drive the pins (axles) out of the rollers, and install the resultant "wheels" in my sliding closet doors. A PITA, but when you can't get replacement parts ...

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr