OT: Highly undesirable postings

We could turn this into a moderated group, or move into Guy Macons personal one.

Can't see much chance of either happening :)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

How in the #$)#$))%^@)#$#(!*&@#!$) can these XXX rated and fake junk sales postings be *PERMANTLY* be blocked before they get posted?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Nuke Googlegroups.

Alternately, you could add a filter expression author: *@gmail.com I haven't done it yet, as I'm worried that I might miss some useful posts. The spam has been getting worse and worse lately, it wouldn't be so bad if the spammers would stop morphing their email addresses.

Reply to
JW

"Robert Baer" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Would there be anything lost in killing anything from Google?

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

I have, except for a couple of known posters that I white-list.

Agent won't filter on Message-ID but by using Hamster as an intermediary, all of the google-originated junk gets thrown away before it even gets my Agent client.

I've seen, somewhere (el Reg?), that the captcha used to block bots from signing up for google accounts has been broken with a high enough success rate that it's now 'worthwhile' for the spammers to grab throw-away accounts.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Rich,

I found the Hamster executable package, but can't find a sensible instruction for setting it up.

Do you have a reference?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

It's up to their providers. If Google Groups would **properly** process the reports they ALREADY get (and block the **IP address** of the offenders

--or perhaps that entire range) this would slow to a trickle.

Since they instead cancel individual *accounts* (after a high latency), the vermin have adapted and simply sign up for a new account and the jerks don't miss a stride. Google not only doesn't stop them, they even let them use the same old email address.

As has already been noted >Would there be anything lost in killing anything from Google?

Look at the header of one of Win Hill's recent posts and you will answer your own question.

Reply to
JeffM
[snip]

Unfortunately, there are...

From: Jeroen Belleman Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design Subject: Re: Choosing an AWG or function generator Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 16:53:34 +0100 Organization: Aioe.org NNTP Server Lines: 21 Message-ID:

I think Win is a big enough boy to switch to a reputable method (as if _any_ are really reputable :-)

...Jim Thompson

No, I just struggled through the help files and got it working.

Point your current client to the loopback IP.

Start the Hamster service (run as an executable; I haven't set it up to run as a real service).

Start the Control.

Configure | Remote Server Settings Add your current news server, username, password. Under the NNTP tab, check the box to reload the group list.

Tasks | Setup User Tasks | Add then name a new task to hold the NEWS "your server" task.

Configuration | Hamster Settings | Remote news Add your server to the post-to box.

To get new postings, use Tasks | Start Tasks, highlight your user task and start it. Should see a connection to your regular server.

In Agent, once I refreshed the group list from Hamster and set that as the priority server, my subscribed groups are listed in the newsgroups tab with the regular server in lighter type on the following line.

Don't delete the default internal.misc group; it's used to send you periodic status postings.

Probably missed a key step somewhere but this might help get you going.

The scoring is good enough to, for example, block everything from googlegroups except, e.g., those from 'larwe' posted from the expected host IP (so From: spoofing can be defeated).

Good luck and holler if you've any questions...

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

This would not work today. Most IP addresses people use are dynamic, and banning an entire range (say, 65536 addresses) because of one spammer is not something any of us would seriously advocate (hmm... I wish I could be more positive on that :-).

There is a technically simple way out, but ISPs will have to implement some of it first. Now, most of them do assign some DNS entry to any IP address, typically made unique by including the IP address itself in the name - this cannot be used. However, at least some (e.g. mine) ISPs do offer a DDNS service; that is, I can have a static DNS entry for any (or all) of the IP addresses I get, whatever they are at the moment. From there on, it is easy; either block them based on reverse DNS or whitelist users based on their forward DNS. I don't see that happening any time soon, of course. I use Google groups and if they disappear I am not sure I would bother finding some other path - and I would rather have them public as they are, and non-anonymous - as they are (they do include the originating IP address, if someone wants to complain about it the right addressee of the complaint would be the ISP proviging this IP, not Google).

Dimiter

JeffM wrote:

Reply to
Didi

meddelelsenews: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

I would be.

I post from google.

Reply to
MooseFET

No, the "answer" should not be a fence to keep the trash from getting into the house; it would still arrive on the property (ao to speak).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Quite simply, we so far have had no way to put the relative executives toes to the fire.

Reply to
JosephKK

So you use hamster to do the filtering that Agent cannot? I am getting interested but i am *nix centric.

Reply to
JosephKK

Well, if multi-million dollar court action against the company allowing this garbage puts it in financial jeprodary, those toes may be a bit roasted.

Reply to
Robert Baer

So start it up.

Reply to
JosephKK

It would also require that a law be broken.

I have broken no law in Usenet or on the Internet... EVER.

The post forger, and the SPAMTards are committing offenses. Go after them. As well as the server administrators of the servers they are posting through.

This is why Cox is going to ignore the ThompsonTard idiot.

They are going to tell him about using filters, and when the pussified dipshit says "I do use filters.", then they will tell him "Use them then."

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

I am Socially Insecure, and am lucky to feed & cloth myself. It takes money to gather evidence and hire a lawyer, etc...

Reply to
Robert Baer

So why has the forger quit trying to impersonate Jim Thompson?

Reply to
JosephKK