OT: Higher taxes..

unemployment, food stamps, and or artificially created and taxpayer-funded stimulus jobs, e.g. General Motors, or Solyndra, or Fiskers.

how many filers receive more in refunds than they made in payments?

it's really Statistics, but statists was pretty close).

things up.

It's higher than that, but take heart--even those people don't want the gov't to go broke, that doesn't help them either. They'd much rather 80% than zero.

So, counter-intuitively, they're strong fiscal conservatives once they understand the choices.

--
Cheers,
James Arthur

t how

paid?

mpare

dle

e tax

t to know how many filers receive more in refunds than they made in payment= s?

kay, it's really Statistics, but statists was pretty close).

dd things up.

How many people, and how much do they get?

A false hope then, because it's not working, and, worse, we'll have all tha= t added debt service hanging over us as we try to bounce back.

Right.

Germany only diddled with stimulus, then trimmed their spending. Seems to = have worked a lot better, eh?

--=20 Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

ust how

es paid?

compare

iddle

ive tax

ant to know how many filers receive more in refunds than they made in payme= nts?

(okay, it's really Statistics, but statists was pretty close).

add things up.

hat added debt service hanging over us as we try to bounce

Take off your Tea Party blinkers and look at the facts. It's working. It isn't spectacular, but the economy is growing - if slowly - and unemployment is declining.

to have worked a lot better, eh?

Germany has a manufacturing economy that you can only dream of - in part because they invest rather more in their working class than you do - and didn't need a lot of stimulus. As an exporting nation, they are second only to China, which has 17 times the population

and slightly ahead of the US, which has nearly four times the population. Your idiot bankers did set back their economy, but not by much and not for long.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

just how

axes paid?

?

o compare

middle

ceive tax

want to know how many filers receive more in refunds than they made in pay= ments?

I)(okay, it's really Statistics, but statists was pretty close).

nd add things up.

I ask again: You say only a few people get marginally back more than they put in. How many, and how much?

that added debt service hanging over us as we try to bounce

Economies grow normally. Ours isn't growing normally, it's abnormal. We've lost ground (real wages) under Obama. We aren't gaining it back. That's abnormal.

ms to have worked a lot better, eh?

Invest more...working class? I don't believe you. Figures?

(They sure seem to import a bunch of Turkish Gastarbeiters. How much "investment" and "benefits" do they get of their labor?)

--=20 Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

just how

paid?

compare

middle

receive tax

to know how many filers receive more in refunds than they made in payments?

(SOI)(okay, it's really Statistics, but statists was pretty close).

add things up.

that added debt service hanging over us as we try to bounce

have worked a lot better, eh?

Slowman.... :-( ...Jim Thompson

r, just how

taxes paid?

nt?

to compare

er middle

receive tax

ou want to know how many filers receive more in refunds than they made in p= ayments?

SOI)(okay, it's really Statistics, but statists was pretty close).

and add things up.

why

not

aid

ll that added debt service hanging over us as we try to bounce

Congratulations. You've noticed the back-wash of the sub-prime mortgage crisis.

You didn't lose it under Obama, you lost it under Bush. Obama has been stuck with the job of getting it back.

eems to have worked a lot better, eh?

Germany has always spent more on social security, worker retraining and the like than the US (which is notoriously economical in this area).

If you want to compare percentage of GDP you should be able to find them here

Figure 1 on page 5 gives a useful graph. Section 2.1 talks about Germany specifically, but its not all that heavy on numbers.

They did import Turkish gastarbeiters in the 1960's and there are still quite a few of them around, as there are in the Netherlands

They seem to do okay. They started off in low-paid unskilled jobs, but they got the same rate of pay as a German would who was doing the same job, and their kids went to same schools as everybody else. The usual nut-cases resent them, and a few psychopaths have murdered one or two, but psychopaths select their victims for all kinds of irrational reasons, and those that select them on ethnic grounds do get noticed, particularly in Germany.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

lf

id

the

unemployment, food stamps, and or artificially created and taxpayer-funded = stimulus jobs, e.g. General Motors, or Solyndra, or Fiskers.

how

aid?

are

tax

to know how many filers receive more in refunds than they made in payments?

y, it's really Statistics, but statists was pretty close).

things up.

t i

The IRS collects the taxes, and they've got all the data. What I gave you is what there is.

They do sort, classify, and categorize by all sorts of criteria--you can figure out a lot, with a little spreadsheet magic.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

er, just how

e taxes paid?

unt?

s to compare

per middle

receive tax

you want to know how many filers receive more in refunds than they made in = payments?

(SOI)(okay, it's really Statistics, but statists was pretty close).

, and add things up.

why

If he'd add it up he'd find we pay a heck of a lot to recipients in the form of sundry different subsidy checks. The earned income credit from the IRS is just one of many--food, healthcare, unemployment, child care, WIC, SNAP, etc. Added up, it's quite substantial--about

2/3rds the federal budget, and something like half the state budgets.

"a one-parent family of three making $14,500 a year (minimum wage) has more disposable income than a family making $60,000 a year."

Here's an inspiring example of O-stimulus funds:

Yeah, that helps the O-con-me.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

:

com

nder, just how

ome taxes paid?

mount?

ars to compare

upper middle

ho receive tax

e you want to know how many filers receive more in refunds than they made i= n payments?

m (SOI)(okay, it's really Statistics, but statists was pretty close).

ts, and add things up.

's why

the

hat

But how many of them pay any tax at all? And what the average hand-out per recipient?

The last time I can recall you doing that calculation, you'd added the interest on the national debt into the social security payments, arguing that if the US didn't pay out for social security, you wouldn't have national debt, despite the fact that when you look at the history, national debt tends to rise during wars. Give us enough detail to let us see where you are cheating this time.

Which counts "money" from the Food Stamps (SNAP) and National School Lunch Program (NSLP) as part of the single parents' disposable income. The single mother would have a hard time trying to divert that $8,112 into any of the usual destinations of disposable income, and it's more than twice the difference ($3,411) between her claimed higher disposable income ($37,777) and that of the family of four on $60.000 per year (($34,366).

This strike me as fraudulently misleading the reader.

It was also fraud. You don't seem to get anything like as excited about the bankers who defrauded their employers (and help wreck the economy in the process) by making ninja home loans for which they got performance related bonusses, even though there was a great deal more money involved.

You do seem to be insensitive to fraud when it helps your case ...

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

half

paid

the

unemployment, food stamps, and or artificially created and = taxpayer-funded stimulus jobs, e.g. General Motors, or Solyndra, or = Fiskers.

how

paid?

compare

middle

tax

know how many filers receive more in refunds than they made in payments?

(SOI)(okay, it's really Statistics, but statists was pretty close).

things up.

I waded through them for a while. I found something kind of like what i wanted (columns CU to CZ) in IRS publication 1304 table 3.3 on:

It has some really interesting information in it.

Table 1.1 has some interesting data as well. =20 It should frustrate Slowman to no end, as it rather disproves many of his favorite axioms.

Still haven't found what i am really looking for.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

lf

id

the

unemployment, food stamps, and or artificially created and taxpayer-funded = stimulus jobs, e.g. General Motors, or Solyndra, or Fiskers.

how

aid?

are

tax

to know how many filers receive more in refunds than they made in payments?

y, it's really Statistics, but statists was pretty close).

things up.

Which are? Right-wing nit-wits have a habit of inventing stuff I'm supposed to believe in. I've got a copy of that particular table (1.1) on my hard disk, and have had for weeks, and I didn't find it in any way frustrating when I first started digging into it.

The take-away message I got from it was that US income tax stops being progressive for incomes over $1M per year - where the tax take stops rising with income and settles at about 30% - and falls to less than

30% (26.3%) for incomes over $10M per year. Warren Buffett and Mitt Romney, who only pay out 17% show what you can do if you really work on exploiting the loopholes available to the really well-off US tax- payer.

Proof that you live the best of all possible worlds, as opposed to a rather ill-administered USA?

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

that pays off the government's new debt?"

f the population that pays federal income tax.

employment, food stamps, and or artificially created and taxpayer-funded st= imulus jobs, e.g. General Motors, or Solyndra, or Fiskers.

ople

benefit, right? =A0The taxpayers have to pay that interest.

pending?

-

(as

e of

ne, yet are paid by a disproportionate few. =A0That is redistribution. =A0K= eynesian stimulus, as practised, =A0is redistribution from few to many; a t= aking.

ing more desperate, have much, much more to lose--food, shelter, and their = very existence. =A0"The fox is running for its dinner, but the rabbit is ru= nning for its life." --Aesop's Fables

spending; only 1/5 of the taxes are spent on it.

That's a different argument. The question we were dealing with first is whether it's redistribution. It is.

Okay, now you're arguing essentially, that it's an investment that pays off, that rich people have to support poor people, to avoid social disruption.

You can't simply make statements like that without examining their basis.

That hand-waving argument is absurd. If it were true, just as one example, this would've been discovered long ago and the greedy, calculating "well-off" would gladly throw more and more money at it.

You also implicitly assume the poor need spoon-feeding to survive, and that this is a permanent condition.

What a dark, dreadful world view.

The American reality is that ordinary people have no problem feeding themselves if they try. They're also smart enough that they might not bother if you give it to them free. =20

e takings for stimulus, that only covers 1/5th of the bill. =A0What about t= he other 2/3rds of spending, which is straight redistribution, and which do= es not benefit them?

You're dreadfully mistaken on multiple fronts. No wonder you've got such odd misconceptions about our society.

Social Security and unemployment are separate programs, having nothing to do with each other.

You think we've got to pay off the prols, else they'll riot? That's a patronizing, but common liberal fear-based theory. All they have to do is save money while they're working, to cover when they aren't. That's what everyone used to do, before big gov't stepped in. I made minimum wage, worked two full-time jobs, bought a Porsche, and saved hand-over-fist.

-

ulus, and have found it's funded by the (relatively few) taxpayers, but is = received by the many. =A0From few, to many. =A0So, figure 2 applies.

You've reasoned in a circle again, re-asserting that there's a higher-than-unity gain. You've NEVER showed that, and NEVER will, because it's not true.

Taking someone's money, then returning a fraction, in exchange for additional work and production of that person, is a taking, a theft. It does not have over-unity gain. =20

It's at best compulsory investment, compelled by you, because you think you= know better.

ohn,

b possibly buys some of John's goods, with part of John's own loss?

Yes, obviously. Stealing part of his money then returning a small fraction traumatizes him, and does not make him whole.

If a robber steals your wallet, then spends the money on his family, outlaw friends, and fast-food, this Keynesian-stimulates the economy, right? And you're better off, right?

that makes it worse--that way John knows he's *going to be

Okay, now you're not thinking, just repeating dogma.

mething free? =A0If Bob's getting essential support like food or

right? =A0Isn't this a complete disincentive to work, in the

No, they don't, not when they get it free. You are an example. =20

=A0Did it?

You're not doing the arithmetic.

I give up.

James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

how many filers receive more in refunds than they made in payments?

it's really Statistics, but statists was pretty close).

things up.

It wouldn't frustrate him an iota--he wouldn't consider it, or understand it if he tried.

He, like many, operates on gut and prejudice instead.

--
Cheers,
James Arthur

know how many filers receive more in refunds than they made in payments?

it's really Statistics, but statists was pretty close).

things up.

Slomania is a great country, no taxes, the government just borrows the money by selling bonds, then lowers bond values when it's credit limit is reached so it has more credit. Ken "beware of Greeks bearing gifts"

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

pays off the government's new debt?"

population that pays federal income tax.

unemployment, food stamps, and or artificially created and taxpayer-funded stimulus jobs, e.g. General Motors, or Solyndra, or Fiskers.

benefit, right?  The taxpayers have to pay that interest.

spending?

yet are paid by a disproportionate few.  That is redistribution.  Keynesian stimulus, as practised,  is redistribution from few to many; a taking.

more desperate, have much, much more to lose--food, shelter, and their very existence.  "The fox is running for its dinner, but the rabbit is running for its life." --Aesop's Fables

spending; only 1/5 of the taxes are spent on it.

Of course it is. Even Slowman can't argue that point, so attempts another, made wholly of straw.

All sorts of extortion can be justified with that "reasoning".

...and inherently racist, yet that is the leftist's world view.

Even Slowman figured that out.

takings for stimulus, that only covers 1/5th of the bill.  What about the other

2/3rds of spending, which is straight redistribution, and which does not benefit them?

That involves deferring gratification. That's just not taught, anymore. It's certainly not an important personal attribute.

Reply to
krw

[snip]

Hilarious! ...Jim Thompson

unemployment, food stamps, and or artificially created and taxpayer-funded stimulus jobs, e.g. General Motors, or Solyndra, or Fiskers.

know how many filers receive more in refunds than they made in payments?

it's really Statistics, but statists was pretty close).

things up.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

  Not necessarily the well off, just those that have worked hard and
lived frugally so they have some savings to invest. At this point they
can invest in dividend paying stocks and take advantage of the favorable
tax treatment.
Hey, that's me! :-)
               Mikek

Reply to
amdx

y that pays off the government's new debt?"

s?

of the population that pays federal income tax.

lf

id

the

unemployment, food stamps, and or artificially created and taxpayer-funded = stimulus jobs, e.g. General Motors, or Solyndra, or Fiskers.

people

a benefit, right? =A0The taxpayers have to pay that interest.

spending?

eme

off

ho

ts

t -

or (as

nce of

yone, yet are paid by a disproportionate few. =A0That is redistribution. = =A0Keynesian stimulus, as practised, =A0is redistribution from few to many;= a taking.

us

being more desperate, have much, much more to lose--food, shelter, and thei= r very existence. =A0"The fox is running for its dinner, but the rabbit is = running for its life." --Aesop's Fables

f spending; only 1/5 of the taxes are spent on it.

That's a hand-waving response if ever I saw one.

They do throw more at it in Europe, where the population density is higher and the unhappy poor have better access to the rich.

The argument that if some is good, more would be better, is obvious nonsense. If it cost's "x" dollars to reduce the risk of damage from rioting and looting down to the same sort level as the risk from flooding, tornado's and earthquakes, there's not a lot of sense in spending twice that to reduce that particular risk any further.

In fact spending on both sides of the Atlantic seems to be no higher than is required to minimise social disruption - we still see occasional episodes of disorder and looting, but they don't seem to be any more frequent than say earth-quake, flood or hurricane damage

No. The Melbourne poverty survey completed in the late 1960s revealed that most of the people who were in deep financial trouble in Melbourne at that time had got there by virtue of bad luck, and could

- with a bit of short term help - get back on an even keel.

Social security is a safety net rather than a hammock.

The dark, dreadful world view is all yours. You don't understand the point of social security any more than you understand the point of Keynesian deficit-financed stimulus spending, so claim that both are infinitely deep spending sinks, when in fact both are aimed at mitigating specific problems, and involve well-defined - if fairly large - expenditures.

The pollyanna approach to social science.

You don't give them much for free, and those statistics that I've seen suggest that pretty much everybody would prefer to be working rather than relying on social security. Having spent four years not working (2003 to 2007) I'm aware that getting a job can take longer than one would like. Since the end of 2007 I've been retired - I'd still prefer to have a job, but Dutch social attitudes pretty much rule that out.

the takings for stimulus, that only covers 1/5th of th ebill. =A0What about= the other 2/3rds of spending, which is straight redistribution, and which = does not benefit them?

A slightly ironic claim coming from you, Your blue-tinted spectacles blind you to a great deal of what goes in the USA, and your enthusiasm for chanting "Republicans good, Democrats bad" does seem to get in the way of any kind of rational appreciation of the society you live in.

You mean that they got different labels.

They do riot from time to time - both in the US and in Europe. Happily, the societies involved a sufficiently well-organised that the proles don't have serious and persistent grievances - as they seem to have had in Libya, Eygpt and Syria - but that's their weapon of last resort.

Easier said than done. And the message form the Melbourne poverty survey was that a coupled of ill-time mishaps could use up those savings painfully rapidly.

That's what everybody was supposed to do. Quite a few people couldn't manage it.

Bully for you. Working two full-time jobs is a recipe for doing both badly, but minimum-wage jobs are presumably not all that demanding.

ed

e -

imulus, and have found it's funded by the (relatively few) taxpayers, but i= s received by the many. =A0From few, to many. =A0So, figure 2 applies.

ou know better.

John,

Bob possibly buys some of John's goods, with part of John's own loss?

His money hasn't been stolen - at most he's voluntarily lent it to his government. His tax rates may go up to pay the interest on these loans, but that isn't going to traumatise him - US society survived for many years with a 91% tax rate on the highest tranches of high incomes. If the economy tanked and his business went bankrupt, that probably would traumatise him, but you wouldn't care about that, because your government would have been doing the far-right thing that worked so well for Hoover.

You are using loaded and misleading terms to support an ill-informed and erroneous point of view.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

It's the question that James Arthur wants to concentrate on, completely ignoring what the "redistribution" is intended to do.

He want to live in libertarian society where collective expenditure is minimised and the poor are free to starve to death if nobody can make a profit by hiring them at a living wage. This is not a majority opinion.

Perhaps, but that's irrelevant. The poor don't extort social security from the rich - the rich see the advantage of spending enough on social security to keep the poor tolerably content. It's not the only advantage they derive from this expenditure - it also means that the unemployed stay healthier while they are between jobs and are more immediately productive when re-hired. Sometimes they've been re- trained while unemployed to offer skils that they weren't taught when they were going through school.

That James Arthur's world view, not mine. I see social security as a safety net, not a hammock. These days Europe has more social mobility than the US, not less, probably because it's got more generous social security arrangements - the children of the poor have more opportunities than thier parents had.

Racist is even more far-fetched. There's not a single mention of race in the whole thread up to this point, but krw wants to take James Arthur's moronic observation as evidence of what leftist's actually think?

Actually, it seems to be wrong. The statistic that I've seen suggest a large majority of people have an irrational dislike of living off social security, and vastly prefer to have work, if they can find it. Right-wing nitwits can be relied to find anecdotes about the occasional individuals with psychological problems who's happier with minimal human contact, but right-wing nitwits don't think very clearly or very often.

Tell that to Assad, Gaddafi and Mubarak. Rip off the proles too enthusiastically, and they will revolt.

Not all that many people can learn it. Apparently you can test for the capacity to defer gratification in four-year-olds and - if it is present - it's a good predictor of success in later life.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

know how many filers receive more in refunds than they made in payments?

it's really Statistics, but statists was pretty close).

things up.

Must be close to Bernakovia, where their central bank prints money to buy their own bonds to hold the prices up.

Reply to
krw