OT: Guns VS murder rate

From an investment newsletter:

"Is it true that George Soros is behind the move to make gun ownership illegal everywhere he can? Ask Australia how it worked for them. Crime rose 35% the first year. I have heard he is the money behind IANSA. Please reply if you know." ? Paid-up subscriber Stephen R Stanfield

Ferris comment: I haven't heard about Soros' involvement, but I have heard about the Blair Holt Firearms Licensing bill, H.R. 45. This will require a federal license to sell or own a gun. As I read the 13-page bill (surprisingly short and to the point), it looks like it would send gun owners to jail for two years if they fail to let the attorney general know they moved.

Naturally, there's a total media blackout. No one is reporting on the bill. When there's evidence an armed society is preferable to an unarmed one, the media executes a full blackout. Since the Heller case, in which the U.S. Supreme Court struck down Washington D.C.'s gun ban, murders have dropped 45% in the city and neighboring Prince George's County... but the talking heads on network TV aren't saying a word about it. If the murder rate ticked up 0.01%, Katie Couric would be falling all over herself to interview the parent of some dead teenager in D.C.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Piss off - what a load of shit! I can't believe how naive some people are and the crap that they will on-post.

Gun crime in Australia is very low, violent crime in general is not to bad. Apart from the odd psychopath we don't have dickheads running through schools, businesses or gov depts killing everyone in sight on a monthly basis........

Oh - this is an OT topic too

Reply to
Royston Vasey

"Royston Vasey" wrote in news:h66dnck907E6D9DWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@westnet.com.au:

Heh,"not too bad".... not if you're the victim.

But that's not attributable to gun control. Criminals still have guns in Australia,guns are still available. another Port Arthur could still happen.

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow... For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding."

---------- Jeff Snyder

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

That's true.

We don't have a lot of gun crime in Oz. Most gun crime seems to be between bikie gang members or those higher up in the drug trade etc rather than criminal V general public.

Reply to
Royston Vasey

Same thing here. So, what does that mean?

Reply to
WangoTango

It could mean you live in NZ or Oz (though probably not in Tasmania - they're still getting over Martin Bryant).

Reply to
Royston Vasey

Question: If the ammo drum on my 12 gauge 'street sweeper' is _not_ removable, is it exempt from this law?

--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.