OT: Gun Control in Virginia

But that's the point. It's about emotion, not logic.

Correct !! And the same can be said about "gun control" in general. It's largely an emotional issue; not one based in facts.

To me, the cleanest example of this is people who want to outlaw AR-15's, w hen the data shows far more murders, muggings, hold-ups, (you know.. actual "assault") are committed with handguns. Not the "modern sporting rifle".*

*Disclaimer: I never got on the bandwagon of calling AR-15's "Modern Sporti ng Rifles". I understand the intent, but (as a gun owner), I think the gun industry would do better to just embrace the fact that back in the 70's an d 80's (and maybe later?), gun magazines did all they could to advertise gu ns in the style of RAMBO. THEY created the term "Assault Rifle". They sho uld just accept that was a mistake, apologize for it, and move on.

No anti-gunner is going to be swayed by terminology (or even the actual wea pon features, safety-related or otherwise). A gun kills, and for them, tha t's all the information needed.

Reply to
mpm

Well, one thing that IS special about schools and churches is that they have been designated as "gun-free zones".

The message to the would-be shooter seems clear enough: Nobody is likely to shoot back. They are unarmed.

Reply to
mpm

heck there? How about at Costco? They have some forty to 100 people in li ne at the checkouts at any given time. It would be an easy target... as lo ng as the door watchers don't come after you with their pens.

This reminds me of the X-ray security point at airports. Let's say you're a determined terrorist. You put an IED in your carry-on and get in line.

With any luck, the TSA agent notices something funny about your bag (maybe! ?) and starts asking you questions. At which point, you just shrug your sh oulders, "guess you caught me", and detonate the bomb. BOOM!

At many airports, there are more people standing in line at the X-Ray machi nes than you could ever hope to stuff on an airplane! Maximum carnage.

It's the illusion of security for the masses. Plain and simple. Not REAL security.

Easy (soft) targets are everywhere. It's prohibitively expensive to protect all of them.

BTW: A metal detector detects METAL, not weapons. That itself is just another illusion of security for the sheeple.

Reply to
mpm

to >think they should be safe. Again, it's emotional.

ave been designated as "gun-free zones".

Designated by whom? I seem to recall one shooting in church ended quickly because of the parishioners with guns.

to shoot back. They are unarmed.

Same as restaurants, night clubs, hotels, department stores, the streets of Las Vegas, Post offices, military bases... I can't find where there has b een much discrimination in mass shooting locations. Throw in lesser shooti ngs and they seem to happen pretty much anywhere and everywhere. More than enough shootings to go around.

--

  Rick C.

  +-+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +-+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

ke to >think they should be safe. Again, it's emotional.

have been designated as "gun-free zones".

y because of the parishioners with guns.

You'll find numbers all over the board, with much riding on exact definitio n of terms. For example, "public mass shooting" vs. "four or more persons killed not including the gunman". The latter including gang-on-gang, and d omestic gun violence -- which, arguably, are missing the "indiscriminate" n ature of what many consider a "mass shooting".

As for "gun-free zone" designation, it depends on the locale. The anti-gunners have been very effective at creating a bewildering patchwo rk of federal, state and local law. In some states, a posted "No guns" sig n at a business will carry the weight of law. In others, like Florida wher e I live, these signs are meaningless. If you're caught with a gun, the bu siness owner can ask you to leave (under penalty of trespassing if you refu se), but that's about it. There's no automatic civil or criminal liability .

The Feds have their own list: Courthouses, airports, Post Offices, maritim e terminals, etc.. And so do the States: Polling places, (airports, again), etc.. And for States without preemption, the list can even include parks, abortio n clinics, county fairs, etc...

When I say "gun-free" zones, I'm only talking about the ones that are truly enforceable by law. (And personally, I think the vast majority of them am ount to no deterrence whatsoever to someone with evil intent.)

Reply to
mpm

ke to >think they should be safe. Again, it's emotional.

have been designated as "gun-free zones".

By Liberal morons. Show us any public school that allows students to car ry. Most refuse to let properly trained staff members or teachers to be arm ed.

I seem to recall one shooting in church ended quickly because of the pari shioners with guns.

ly to shoot back. They are unarmed.

of Las Vegas, Post offices, military bases... I can't find where there has been much discrimination in mass shooting locations. Throw in lesser shoo tings and they seem to happen pretty much anywhere and everywhere. More th an enough shootings to go around.

Try carrying a loaded weapon on a Military base if you aren't in Base secur ity. I had a Drill Sergent accidentally shoot himself with his service revo lver, after our Basic Company was at the range.

It was supposed to have already been returned while we trainees turned in o ur already unloaded M16 rifles. He was allowed to carry in case a trainee t ried to shoot anything other than his target at the rifle range. It was sup posed to have been unloaded, after all the rifles were checked, and any rem aining ammo was accounted for. Trainees and Ammo were transported separatel y, for additional security. So he had already violated several safety regs when he shot himself in his foot.

He was charged with destruction of Government Property while being treated at the Base hospital, then sentenced to several years at Ft. Leavenworth Mi litary prison. He lost all rank, and he was discharged from the Army the da y his prison sentence ended. One other thing happened that day. People like you were puking and swearing that they would be more careful with their we apons during and after training.

One trainee was so screwed up afterwards he was given a Medical discharge b ecause he couldn't handle it. That left him with a black mark that is still following him, if he's alive. He was a 'Gung Ho, Shoot them all up' type, like Bitrex always talks about. This all took place in September 1973, at F t. Knox.

Walk into a Post Office with a weapon, but make sure that your family want s your remains returned. Many business owners refuse to allow patrons to ca rry.

Try to get into courthouse with anything at all. I lost a tiny knife that folded into a key that was made to open letters when I was called for Jury Duty. It would barely tear open a letter, with the 3/4" blade, but it was t aken from me as a dangerous weapon.

I know that you're truly stupid about all weapons, but a few minutes of res earch would have answered your 'First grade' level question.

Reply to
Michael Terrell