OT: Gun Control in Virginia

retirement community where they don't allow them.

That's likely unconstitutional, unless it's an actual retirement home, assisted living or such. But if it's just a retirement community where you buy and own your own home, it is unconstitutional.

Now he has a few non-guns and a lot of other military collectibles. He is also a life member of the NRA. He can't abide by the NRA's position on bu mp stocks and silencers though.

The NRA did not oppose banning bump stocks.

He is at a quandary as to the restrictions on magazine sizes. He laments that it won't be legal to own a collectable rifle and the clip that was us ed with it, like a WWI 1903 Springfield Rifle with a 5 round clip.

tect our population against the threat of those who should not have weapons of mass shootings. There may be a way to compromise, but it is inevitable that we will have more restrictions on owning guns than we have today.

It's not much more difficult to kill people with 6 ten round mags or one

60 round. There are a whole lot of things that would have some effect, but so far, no one is talking about those. Mostly it's tilting at windmill s.
Reply to
Whoey Louie

open space. Night fire had tracer rounds to let you see where the bullets w ere going. As the barrel heated up, the path changed. Too many fools believ e old war movies of some moron holding a machine gun and running with it wh ile firing. They quickly get too hot to hold, and continuous fire destroys the barrel. Our biggest problem is that the ACLU went to the courts to have the insane asylums shut down. All that did was put the nutcases out into t he streets and make it harder to get them the help that they needed. No nor mal human would pick up any weapon to go on a killing spree.

f inert metal.

You know Mike, I actually have a box of 25 9mm tracer rounds in the safe. I have no real need or use for them (and no place to legally shoot them), b ut they were only $10 at the gun show. :)

And BTW, I don't personally believe the arguments surrounding "full auto" v s. "semi-auto" achieve much with the anti-gunner crowd. To them, that dist inction is hardly even worth a mention. Much better to argue the merits of gun ownership, rather than the features of any particular weapon. My opin ion.

Reply to
mpm

L.

y point is there is no reason to allow people to have guns other than "Fuck off, I like guns!". All the self protection crap is just that, crap.

You talk about him being unreasonable, then you proceed to say that self protection is just crap? There are countless stories of people saving their lives, saving the lives of others, with a gun. Many times the gun isn't even fired, just producing it sends the bad guy fleeing.

s is an argument you are having in your own head.

n't imagine myself being in a life or death situation from a violent attack er and needing a gun to save me, because the likelihood of that happening i s minuscule. We have a larger chance of dying in an automobile. And yet m any people give that short shrift in their life. But the idea of not havin g a gun if it were ever needed terrifies them.

What just happened in that church in TX? The good guys with guns prevented a massacre. Do you get to speak for all people? A poor old lady, living in a bad neighborhood?

lican government for 26 years! The Democrats made a campaign issue of gun control and won. What could be more clear than that??? How about a refere ndum?

ough about gun control to threaten violence or swear they will obstruct or ignore the laws if passed.

nd those sick individuals will be locked up if they don't obey the law.

Should all the Antifa violent assholes be locked up too? Unlike the theoretical violence that you claim might happen in VA, that has already happened.

Reply to
Whoey Louie

Here's a starting point.

Keep in mind, it will have two barrels and let AI make the decision which one to shoot.

Reply to
Jose Curvo

Ah yes, the "many people have been saved by not wearing a seatbelt" argument.

If guns make you safer, why do keep having so many massacres with guns?

Obviously the school-related massacres make the headlines, but the common smaller massacre still occur.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Jose Curvo wrote in news:qvfj5e$fch$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

I like the barbed and poisoned grip in "Law Abiding Citizen".

Hey... I know!

Leave curare' laden 'fake' pistols lying around the house at night... Pick it up and pull the trigger and it puts you to sleep... likely forever.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Jose Curvo wrote in news:qvfknq$mqj$1 @gioia.aioe.org:

Well... at least on a temporal basis.

I do not think he will be aquitted. I think new crimes will come to light as well.

I also feel that since the crime was interference with the upcoming election, he has disqualified himself from participation whther he get aquitted or not.

I think the dishonorable bastard should be down at GITMO... on bread and water no less, with ALL of his assets confiscated.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Jose Curvo wrote in news:qvfknq$mqj$1 @gioia.aioe.org:

I have a t-shirt, Curvo...

It says (on the front):

I am a P A T I E N T, man...

See how l I have guns, drugs, knives, needles, psychoses, anger, hate, R-complex..

But I DON'T go around killing people!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

L.

, or how it looks and feels.

un, or a 338 Lapua Magnum precision, long-distance competition rifle, makes no difference. That person is still DEAD.

OTHER than the one that should really matter: How safe is the gun in the right hands, and does it do the job intended? Beyond that - you need to lo ok at the person behind the gun, not the scary black plastic gun components or features.

itted with only HANDGUNS, right. Not "assault rifles".

ce" is a big deal. It's actually been on the decline for decades, even as total gun ownership (as % of population), and total firearms in private own ership (raw #'s) has skyrocketed. And the population has grown significant ly as well.

W IT! - There would be zero doubt.)

nce is declining, and far less than a lot of other aspects in daily life: medical malpractice, texting and driving, assault other than with firearms (including someone's bare fists, BTW!).

mbers are even less demanding of a solution. Any solution. It's just not a big deal.

utcry ensues (Note: Both are "gun free zones" in many jurisdictions.) And everybody's got a solution - but none of them are proven to work (in fact, most are proven to NOT work), because they don't focus on the actual proble m - the crazed, murdering individual. (who I guarantee you could care less about gun-free zone laws, and what color plastic the gun is made from.)

ver going to happen when basic gun ownership in under attack. Give an inch , take a mile, sort of thing. For example, the current system relies upon felony record prohibition - practically guaranteeing that the "first time f elon" will never be denied a weapon. And some felonies are not violent (i. e., white collar crime), and I'm not sure those should rise to the level o f forever forfeiting one's 2A rights.

he 2nd Amendment is meaningless, or so unworkable under a bewildering patch work of laws as to be impossible to enjoy.

on, say a violent felony assault against your person, would you rather have the means to defend yourself (and those you love), or do you think you cou ld negotiate a "time-out" with your attacker to allow enough time to call "

911", and then wait for the police to arrive? (who may or may not help)

will never find themselves in situations where deadly force against an atta cker will be needed. But you never know. Watch the nightly news - bad thi ng happen even in the best of neighborhoods. (BTW: Something to consider - when you're carrying, you actually go out of your way to avoid confrontati on. Your attitude changes. Even if you're in the right to pull a weapon i n self-defense, that's not going to stop the subsequent, expensive legal pr ocess, or civil lawsuits. But it's something that often gets overlooked un til it hits home. Responsible gun owners don't go looking for trouble.)

at.

king themselves not getting out the vote, especially in a midterm election

- happens all the time. We might see a backlash, 180 turnaround next elect ion, or people flocking to the gun stores for their first time purchases.

hy process to obtain a special license to own an EV were put into place.

You talk strange dude, like you haven't been out of the house for over 100 years. I do have to license my car, just like all the other autos in the U S.

That is the sort of inane logic people here use. They are fine with having a special test and license to make sure you are a competent driver and won 't constitute a threat to others. You also have to license autos and certa in types are simply not allowed on the roads. In fact, in many states ther e are exorbitant taxes on them and annual inspections.

So are you saying you would agree to have similar laws regarding guns?

that tax every year even if the weapon can't be fired. Like too many liber als, it's OK to demand that others give up their rights, since they don't e xercise them. My definition of an assault weapon is one that can empty the entire magazine with one pull of the trigger. That results in 'Spray and Pr ay' that you actually hit anything.

So you mean it's not ok to tax and regulate guns like autos? I'm confused.

e asylums shut down. All that did was put the nutcases out into the streets and make it harder to get them the help that they needed. No normal human would pick up any weapon to go on a killing spree.

So you believe that all the mass shootings are by people freed from insane asylums by the ACLU??? Wow! I need to killfile you. You are just too nut s.

f inert metal.

No, I'm not afraid of the gun, I'm afraid of the person who feels he needs a gun.

--

  Rick C.

  --+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Rick C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Blowguns and curare darts are a lot quieter and more discrete.

Could substitute (or simply add) a ricin dart too. Or maybe a little Polonium. Have to have a lead lined (or clad) blowgun though :-).

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

he

nly

a retirement community where they don't allow them.

You sir, don't seem to understand the Constitution. It doesn't say you can have all the guns you want. It says the government can't restrict you fro m having guns. If you are renting a house from me or if you are buying a h ouse from me, I can refuse to sell to you or rent to you if you have guns. The buying thing would require it to be in the deed, but deed restrictions are not at all uncommon.

e is also a life member of the NRA. He can't abide by the NRA's position o n bump stocks and silencers though.

Duly corrected. But they oppose banning silencers which is even worse as w ell as undefensible.

ents that it won't be legal to own a collectable rifle and the clip that wa s used with it, like a WWI 1903 Springfield Rifle with a 5 round clip.

rotect our population against the threat of those who should not have weapo ns of mass shootings. There may be a way to compromise, but it is inevitab le that we will have more restrictions on owning guns than we have today.

lls.

You miss the point. They are windmills that aren't producing any electrici ty. There is no real reason to allow people to have various weapons. Talk of banning guns creates hysteria in some. For the most part those are the people who should not have guns.

--

  Rick C.

  -+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

e open space. Night fire had tracer rounds to let you see where the bullets were going. As the barrel heated up, the path changed. Too many fools beli eve old war movies of some moron holding a machine gun and running with it while firing. They quickly get too hot to hold, and continuous fire destroy s the barrel. Our biggest problem is that the ACLU went to the courts to ha ve the insane asylums shut down. All that did was put the nutcases out into the streets and make it harder to get them the help that they needed. No n ormal human would pick up any weapon to go on a killing spree.

of inert metal.

but they were only $10 at the gun show. :)

vs. "semi-auto" achieve much with the anti-gunner crowd. To them, that di stinction is hardly even worth a mention. Much better to argue the merits of gun ownership, rather than the features of any particular weapon. My op inion.

Some of the loons want to ban everything except single shot, muzzle loading rifles. I also get tired of hearing about guns being delivered to your doo r, or buying huge numbers without a Federal gun dealer's license. Try that, and you'll go to Federal prison.

Tracers were fun during night fire, but my preferred weapon will never be l egal for civilian ownership. It was the M72, Light Antitank Weapon, designe d to disable a moving tank on the battlefield.

Cruz and other punks committed crimes that the Obama administration refused to allow the police to add to their records, so nothing was there to preve nt them from buying a gun. Obama claimed it would protect 'innocent childre n' from having a lifelong criminal record they didn't deserve. That 'kids w ill be kids' bullshit. It is more like 'Bad kids will be bad kids'.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

Rick C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

What is the issue with a silencer?

I can hit you with a curare dart and no blood no sound, you die.

So, a silencer is NOT really a silencer, but more of a muffler that does not quite completely work. First off, the projectile has to have a subsoonic muzzle velocity to start with, and many common calibers and rounds do not. A std 9mm round is NOT subsonic.

Conversely, the .45 is subsonic and is actually the largest subsonic caliber there is, and a silencer (supressor) would work quite well with it.

Either way, if someone wanted you dead, and not having a silencer stops them, then they didn't really want you dead. Suppressed (silenced) guns are not the only way to kill silently.

[...]

Someone brought up the intermediate of firing more than once per trigger pu ll, but not emptying the magazine. Does that have a name? My gun friend d idn't know what to call it.

--

  Rick C.

  +-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Rick C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

There were some german pistols that were modified to dump the clip on a single pull. The M-16 and its variants have a triple 'burst' (as it is termed) option. I think single, full, and triple are the lever choices.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

THAT question is directly to the point and needs serious research by everyone that could be affected, including criminals. Perhaps some ideas would be useful to reduce the number. One stupid idea WRT gun control is to severely limit the manufacture to the point of limiting the total amount in circulation. Naturally, that would close down all makers for (wild estimate) 3 years.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Sorry, do not remember title; sf re intelligent guns, but book is relevant to above.

Guns of Asher?

Reply to
Robert Baer

I have been saying that for some time now. If you need full auto, just give the rifle to someone who knows how to use it.

I still won't support many bans on ownership of almost anything, it is USING them that is really at issue.

Even in three round mode with a 20 round mag you get six full shots and one 2/3rds of a shot. I would rather make every bullet count.

Actually I like this nine, and it was cheap. But if I were to go on a mission... I would want a way to collect up the spent casings. We got the evidence factor plus the fact they can be reloaded. Ammo is not the cheapest thing in the world.

Reply to
jurb6006

  Jasen.
Reply to
Jasen Betts

ewly elected Democratic majority in Virginia. It seems this is angering a number of voters even if not enough to have controlled the election. There have been threats of violence and armed resistance to any new gun laws pas sed.

rm of enacting gun control in order to help reduce gun violence, is being t hreatened by those who oppose these laws with gun violence.

oo many people believe they can get what they want by pointing guns at othe rs. What they want is all that matters.

e passed they will be enforced and anyone refusing to abide by the laws wil l be punished according to law.

I sincerely believe that anyone threatening gun violence should never be a llowed to have a gun again.

Great news from the NRA!

Michael Terrell