OT: Google Self-Driving Car Causes Accident

Here in Taiwan we call it the natural pecking order: trucks and buses > cars > scooters (we have lots of them) > bicycles > pedestrians. If you obey this rule you can ignore other traffic rules and still be safe,

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

Europe: There are 50 people on the bus and it has to do this all day, let's make a law that says the bus has the right-of-way.

USA: A *bus*? Why should I have to wait for poor people? Who pays for these roads anyway?

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I guess the real reason Google is so interested is automatic delivery of go ods. Obviously the more you can control the channels of supply and distrib ution the more money you make. I guess we will end up buying our groceries from a Google supermarket. And if you fail to pay a Boston Dynamics Gaybot will kick 7 types of tar out of you.

Reply to
sean.c4s.vn

I doubt that it mattered. The bottom line is that they paid a claim.

The autonomous vehicle could have gotten a report of the gravel from previous cars (V2V) or from the road controller (V2I).

Reply to
krw

USA: The rules are the same for everyone. It doesn't matter what you're driving today.

Reply to
krw

50 people on a bus in Arizona is a miracle close to that of immaculate conception. Mass transit here is a political hack for politicians to funnel money to their construction company buddies aka campaign contributors. ...Jim Thompson

It also happens when people don't predict each other's actions correctly. Drivers have to understand each other's point of view. Cars can't do that themselves because they don't see what the other car sees, so they have to talk.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

So how do people do that? They follow the rules of the road.

--

Rick
Reply to

I'm not sure what that means. Are you saying a bus can pull out in front of cars, any time, no matter what the circumstances? That sounds like an accident waiting to happen. What if the car doesn't have time to stop?

--

Rick
Reply to

They don't strictly follow the rules. They do understand and anticipate each other.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

That's not what you said. You said an autonomous car can't see what the other car sees. If so, a human has the same limitation, no? I'm sure the autonomous cars can see better than I do.

--

Rick
Reply to

People anticipate each other's actions because they understand each other's POV, but they don't literally see the same images. Since computers don't have empathy, they would need to actually see the same data.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I think that is bogus. Autonomous vehicles receive an excess of data so that if a slightly different view of the world is being seen the same results are likely. I think the computers of the world will show a lot more consistency than people ever will. The same person in the same situation will make very different decisions one time to the next, so how could one person ever hope to know what another would do?

The problem with people is that they don't even follow the rules. Once autonomous vehicles become popular, accidents with them will be very indicative of a poor driver with all the documentation required. The poor drivers will be taken off the roads and eventually even the best drivers will be shown to be a liability and removed.

The end result will be a perfect world... lol

--

Rick
Reply to

They do at least have turn signals. Autonomous cars would have to communicate at least that much about their intentions. More, I think.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso