OT, fun with a chain.

I'm predicting a run on bead-chain at mcmaster carr. George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Wonder if a finite element analysis program could handle that ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

The video used 50 meters of what looks like 1/8" (size 6) balls. 100ft should be sufficient at $22. Have fun.

I predict an oversupply of used bead chain being sold on Craigslist and eBay in a few weeks as people fail to find uses for 100ft of used bead chain.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

This would probably work with regular link chain if the fall is long enough. Anyone have a spare 100-foot tower and a bucket?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I don't think so, with bead chain there is a mechanically enforced minimum bend radius, but link chain can flop any which way.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

An experiment! An experiment!

While I can see the possibility that you are correct, I can also see that the radius of the bend at the top could be constrained not by the mechanics of the chain, but simply by inertial forces.

Now, where did I leave that thousand feet of anchor chain?

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

I figured a long piece of rope should work too. I think I've got a 200' piece at home... a bushel basket, and I'll stand on the the barn roof.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I bet the bend radius thing is critical. A rope will flop down onto the edge of the container and just slide over that, or hang up.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Hanging up is a separate issue -- but I'll bet it's more so for rope than ball chain.

As far as flopping over the edge of the container -- it just can't. That would require an infinite (or at least arbitrarily small) bend radius, which would require infinite acceleration around the bend.

And infinite acceleration is hard to achieve in this imperfect world of ours.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Some ropes - I'm thinking natural fibre types with the fibres aligned particularly - seem to have a more-or-less minimum bend radius, so it could work.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

on 7/3/2013, George Herold supposed :

A Slinky is more fun!

Reply to
OldGuy

What? No ceiling fans on 100 foot high ceilings?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Must be the whipping action at work.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany