Chain transformer explosions

Posted at Owen Roberts' request...

If it was not for how dangerous/expensive this was, this video goes down as beautiful:

Every thing is Big in texas ;D

Martin Riddle

Seems they need to take the pennies out of the fuse boxes.

tm

Reply to
tm

Is the video for real?

The video appears to be a loop (see youtube comments). That arcing seems to go on for a hell of a long time in quite a few locations and only 4000 customers affected.....

Reply to
Dennis

"Penny'll start a fahr." - an electrician on "Sealab 2021", "The Feast of Alvis".

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

I see two bright lights above the scene at ~ 0:20 -0:30

-- Boris

Reply to
Boris Mohar

(...)

I voted for 'internal lens reflection' because UFOs seemed unlikely.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Please, correct me if I am wrong, but IIRC most of suburban US relies on pole transformers (pigs) for every few blocks. Thus a medium voltage MV (1-5 kV) distribution is needed to feed these pigs. This means that open line MV lines are practically on every significant street.

I do not understand how that situation in the video could have occurred.

Assuming that the HV/MV transformer had failed and feeding something like 100 kV into a network designed for 1-5 kV could indeed create something like that. But since nothing like that happened according to news reports, that does not make much sense.

If there was a significant failure between the HV/MV networks as the video suggests, the damage had been much more significant on the MV or even LV (110/220 V) side.

Reply to
upsidedown

In my neighborhood we have a transformer for every two houses, and underground feed... voltage unknown. ...Jim Thompson

         Obama is not the solution, Obama is the problem!

A guy goes on his first business trip to Dallas. He asks for a small room and gets a big one instead (because that's all that is left). He says to himself "Hmmm, everything in Texas must be big.

He asks for a small steak, but the staff screws up and brings him a big one instead. He says to himself "Hmmm, everything in Texas must be big.

He asks where the john is and they tell him to go down the hall and turn right. He turns left by mistake, falls into the swimming pool, and yells "Don't flush it yet".

Reply to
JeffM