OT: firewall program

I could use a spare MB for a P2 computer (do not remember speed) with a compatible video board and at least one ISA slot. That is for replacement for Mister Justin Case my persent oldie goes south. It is used exclusively as a programmable test station using an A/D + DIO card that was cheap due to the older ISA interface.

Reply to
Robert Baer

You've got me all wrong. I already tried to furnish people with decent second hand computers. It just doesn't work. People want the latest & gratest for no money at all. You'll get nothing but angry faces and lost friendships.

Hey, I'm married so that already happened :-)

--
Programmeren in Almere?
E-mail naar nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)

No, that won't work. A serial to ethernet converter is a virtual COM port over a network. Like a USB to serial converter.

I think you'll be better off with firewall software, a virus/malware scanner and the latest updates to your OS. What kind of OS are you using anyway? I don't like connecting a Windows PC to internet directly, but if your budget is tight you have no choice. Besides, you'll need the software anyway. A firewall is not going to keep your credit card information safe.

BTW, make sure you disconnect the telephone line from the modem when the computer is on but you are not using internet.

--
Programmeren in Almere?
E-mail naar nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Reply to
Nico Coesel

I don't even met most of the people who get the computers. I keep a list of what is ready, and they have already been informed that these are older, but free computers. Groups who already know who deserves the help contact me to get the equipment. The only extras available are some printers, scanners and speakers. All some want to do is play solitaire, because they can no longer see the small print on real cards. SO far, one one person insisted they HAD to have a 2 GHz system with 4 GB of RAM. I told him to apply for a grant, and wait to be turned down. I do some network installs for non profits who work with the local disabled, so I collect and test spare networking odds and ends to help when a network goes down.

Not my fault! :)

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No. that won't help you.

Robert, is low end DSL available in your area? It costs about the same as dialup and around here is 128 kb. If you can get that, I will give you my old Linksys router/firewall, and a spare network card. It is the single port version of this:

Linksys - EtherFast 4-Port Cable/DSL Router

Model: BEFSR41 SKU: 3906544

4-port router with room to expand up to 253 users; full-duplex speed for 10/100 Mbps connections

sale price: $39.95.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Okay, that is going to be a bit difficult. Perhaps upgrading to Windows 2000 is an option (I'm still using it). But you might find yourself in need for a new soundcard.

Or get a new computer altogether. I recently picked up a 'broken' DELL SX270 with a 3GHz P4 cpu for 50 euros (complete with Windows XP license). All it needed was new capacitors on the mainboard. Quite a lot are on sale right now because of this flaw. This computer will run Windows XP without any problems.

--
Programmeren in Almere?
E-mail naar nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Reply to
Nico Coesel

smoothwall. It routs, it modems (if needed), it firewalls and it webcaches (which is a serious boon if you do web on a slow connection - and even on the faster ones it helps). The price is right. Can also do some QOS, but not much going on there with a dial-up modem, I suspect.

If you can make the CD from the ISO image, it's exceedingly simple at the current (3.0) version. Just need a computer to wipe for the job with the interfaces you need - and that need not be a "great" computer. It handles the modem (as the outside interface) and your local computer(s) talks to it by ethernet. You manage via a web browser. Once installed, run the update function, and you're good. There's help for the settings. If you goof up, just start over - it's written to be graspable by normal humans.

If you have an ethernet connection out, you just need one NIC per network (stock config will handle up to 4 - one internal and 3 internal, with differing protection levels - only two needed for a "normal" setup.)

I've had one running since version 2, version 3 is much easier to set up as intended. I replaced some dedicated hardware routers with the smoothwall, and for my purposes it works better, and is more secure.

Ecnerwal

I am sorry to hear about your diabetes. At least it was diagnosed early and we now have these quick electronic glucose meters.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

If you have the same system as on the continent it'll be a lot more multipath-tolerant than ours, at the expense of less HDTV capabilities.

NTSC out here in the US is as good as PAL after the TV manufacturers (finally!) figured it out, except that it has less channel BW and less lines. For me it's good enough but it'll die Feb-2009 :-(

Analog HDTV? That fizzled even before it was out of the barn door.

Au contraire. HDTV produces absolutely stunning images in the US. If the signal is good enough. If it ain't you get nada, with digital it's all or nothing.

Best of all the stations are now producing lots of HDTV content. Whether it's worth watching is a whole 'nother matter but a documentary in HDTV certainly is.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Not exactly what Baer asked for

--but we may get him computer-literate despite himself. 8-)

Open source. Gratis and libre.

It's at the top of this list.

*-*-*-PageRank-order

...and Freesco got skunked again.

Reply to
JeffM

Thank you. The VA is switching Glucose meters, yet again. This time it is to the Freestyle Freedom from Abbott Diabetes Care. That means sitting through yet another class to 'learn' how to take the blood sample. They keep getting smaller, and harder to hold on to.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The new ones take less blood, which is a good thing. FWIG, some (soon, if not already) use sub-q fluid so no blood is needed at all. I understand that there are problems with accuracy and response times though. Makes sense.

--
Keith
Reply to

There are days I can't hold small items in my right hand, and I have to take the samples from one of three fingers on my left hand. Otherwise, I don't get anywhere near enough blood for a proper test. Some spots don't even bleed.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Using Win98SE, AVG and external modem (so i canuse its power switch when need). Am Socially Insecure.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I had signed up for DSL as Qwest had a "special" and promised something like 1.2Mbps. Well, i could not get it to work, and so they sent a tech that took 4 hours to get it working. Turns out Qwest was a liar; top speed in my area was 250K. But the fact was, the max actual speed was 200K when it decided to work at all. Actual speed, when working, ran from 20K to 200K (typ speed 56-68K) with the signal light going out at randumb for up to 10 minutes at a time. Useless crap; i made them take their junk back and demanded total refund - including the "non-refundable" charges. Got every penny back. Yes, the charge for the DSL was about $30 which (naturally) adds to the POTS charges and thus would have *doubled* communications expenses.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yes, i know about those capacitors. Seems some "enterprising" people "borrowed" the technology from a capacitor company and set up their own to "copy cat" various brands. Since QC was essentially absent, the quality was junk and the caps over time and temp leaked electrolyte and became rather poor in ESR (very important on the switcher that feeds the CPU) as well in actual capacitance. Many big MB makersgot burned on that.

** Actually, i run 3 OSes, Win98Se, Win2K and DOS (with Win3.11). But i prefer Win98SE because it comes up so fast and seems to be no longer a target - and i have found it does not support some "services" that some of the newer trojans, etc need.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Pardon me for laughing...about 30-40 years ago my nickname was Polar Baer!

** Reading between the lines, it seems that one uses a dedicated computer with this softwware to make a router. I have no great objection (other than space limitations), but thecode size is an order of magnitude larger than what POTS allows for me. Anything over 2Megs starts becoming dicey and i absolutely *HATE* to restart. Yes, yes, use a download manager. They simply do not work for me.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Make double damn sure that some ignorant, stupid doctor does not want to use a compression bandage on your leg(s) for any "reason". Guaranteed gangrene and loss of leg(s).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Any reason why you can't put an ethernet card in the PC?

Reply to
Guy Macon

goes

that has a

They have a very bad wall-warts! It is mostly likely to quit in 3 years.