water damage

I have to decide how much time to spend on this Vocalist live3, DSP harmoniser, indoors but ended up directly underneath a rainfall gully leak of the house roof. Instead of opening up and hairdrying, owner just put on a room radiator overnight before powering up, via external 9V ac wall wart. I have to decide how much time to spend on this. If there is no corrossion product, mainly white stuff like battery corrossion product or "tide-mark", anywhere in the DSP area does that mean water did not get there? No front panel LEDs or sw responses, main 7805 v reg is ok and one SMD LED on the pcb lit. No fuses/CPs found. I can find no schematic for this. There was still water inside this kit when I got it. Obvious corrossion product lightly brushed off easily, from around pins of stuff in the internal ps area, would it be tin salts, tin carbonate or some such ? Just some staining of the pins , no obvious failed copper tracks and very little green corrossion product. I've not determined yet whether multilayer pcb.

Reply to
N_Cook

If it is all low voltage inside, then maybe a good cleaning of both sides of the board with alcohol and a toothbrush might clean it up enough to work.

One problem with situations like this is that the PC board can be cleaned up well, but the pushbuttons, pots and such may not be easy to clean. And, they may continue to deteriorate even after you finish with it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

There is 48V supply which may be active all the time , as far as the ps, only switched in by user. Luckily the controls section of the upper board and the DSP and memory section of the main pcb seem to be unaffected. Unfortunately the owner only gets on with the options available on this particular model, but he never obyained a spare , depite being such a major piece of kit for his act.

Reply to
N_Cook

"N_Cook" wrote in message news:o06tj2$e68$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

[...]

My policy on such matters is that the equipment can NEVER now be relied on. It is damaged, and may fail as a result any time soon, despite any remedies you are charging the customer for.

You cannot see under the IC's, who knows what has collected there to wreak havoc later.

If this is used in a studio, then sudden failure is perhaps not game over. In a live situation, well, you really don't want that at all.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Valid point, a use for my 60 yearold reel of 0.08mm rigid-for-its diameter tungsten wire , a short length "rodded" through under the SO23 pins and the 1 8pin SOIC, probably a dual powerfet device, hopefully the only afected active devices.

Reply to
N_Cook

Valid point, a use for my 60 yearold reel of 0.08mm rigid-for-its diameter tungsten wire , a short length "rodded" through under the SO23 pins and the 1 8pin SOIC, probably a dual powerfet device, hopefully the only afected active devices.

Yep, so anything you do is basically going to be a Punt. The customer has to be happy he is paying for "hope".

I would not be able to guarantee my work under these circumstances and would have to charge accordingly, or not at all.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Having read the thread, I look on line and found several used ones for sale, including a nice looking one in the original box for US$175. That's considerably less than 3 hours labor here, so I'd suggest the customer look for nice a used one.

Regards, Tim

Reply to
Tim Schwartz