light water

WOW! They can get the concentration down from 150 ppm to 125 ppm! What a HUGE reduction! This from the country that feeds its kids milk tainted with melamine.

If they say they are doign this for public health, then I'll bet they are doing it for some other purpose, possibly nuclear-related, to obtain Deuterium.

Just a cynic,

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Hey, it's enough to cure cancer.

John

On the reverse note, having D in the genome apparently lengthens lifespan.

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

I prefer the taste deuterium-rich water, but if it's that unhealthy, I guess I could get used to the lighter stuff.

How much less would we weigh if we drank nothing but light water?

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

...but...Bud Lite is made with Lite Water, no?

Reply to
Robert Baer

It said, In North America, typical drinking water has...150ppp

Water with higher concentrations of D2O is known as heavy water...

So I think there doing better than 150pp to 125pp.

Ya me too, I'd like more info on the "studies" showing this health improvement.

MikeK

Reply to
amdx

Not only that but there is a very elementary mistake in the summary claims paragraph two as replicated on the ACS website. There is nothing like 156 ppm of D2O in naturally occurring drinking water!

Hydrogen and deuterium ions swap places so fast that even if you mixed perfectly pure light water H2O and 156ppm of pure D2O heavy water in a few minutes it would equilibrate to be mostly DHO as ions are exchanged.

The D/H ratio in typical natural water is ~ 1/6400 = 156ppm

At equilibrium D2O concentration is (1/6400)^2 = 24 ppb DHO concentration is 2/6400) = 316ppm

And this D/H ratio holds pretty much for all hydrogen on the planet including in all the food you eat. It isn't going to make a lot of difference if they deplete it in drinking water by 25ppm.

Sounds like impure snake oil or perhaps even closer to polywater.

It is perfectly true that life tends to concentrate the lighter isotopes of H,C,N,O,S since they all move slightly faster than the heavier isotopes and are more likely to win out in diffusion limited reactions (fixing CO2 in photosynthesis and cleaving H2O for instance).

It is also true that higher life forms do not get on with very high concentrations of heavy water >20% but that would require ingesting something like 20-30kg of pure heavy water.

Almost certainly they want to extract the deuterium for nuclear use. The same is true for laboratory grade lithium salts, you cannot rely on them having natural abundance - the bomb makers harvest some Li6 first.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Deuterium tastes greast tho.

Martin Riddle

Less filling!

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to
BobW

I really like tritium. Keeps me from smashing into the bedposts when I get up at night to pee.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Tritium.jpg

John

Aged horse piss.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That's for sure :-) ...Jim Thompson

message

guess

You can smell it when they pop the top. :(

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

..can you re-word that into a snappy slogan or uplifting (lite) jingle?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Aged?

Reply to
JW

guess

You've never heard of Chateau Ripple, vintage Thursday? Same thing, except it's 2:00.

Reply to
krw

message

guess

Sure. It takes a couple hours to fill those tanks.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell