OT: Download Manager

I'm having trouble with large downloads and was wondering if anyone here ca n recommend a download manager. I'm using Pale Moon(Firefox) on a US Cellul ar 4G router. The download will suddenly stop and never start again. Someti mes I can keep it going with Pause and Resume, but that doesn't always work . It's annoying and it eats up my limited 6gig a month of bandwidth.

Thanks

Reply to
Wanderer

Den tirsdag den 12. maj 2015 kl. 18.44.38 UTC+2 skrev Wanderer:

can recommend a download manager. I'm using Pale Moon(Firefox) on a US Cell ular 4G router. The download will suddenly stop and never start again. Some times I can keep it going with Pause and Resume, but that doesn't always wo rk. It's annoying and it eats up my limited 6gig a month of bandwidth.

I've never had much luck with download managers, but wget in a command line works for most things

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

jdownloader works well for me

Reply to
Mark White

Aren't downloaders all spyware?

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I have used the DownThemAll addon for desktop Firefox and it works OK for me. It's mostly for downloading a bunch of files from a single page without having to click on each one, but you can use it on single files as well. It has features like rate limiting and (I think) retry.

As has been said, also try downloading a file of interest with another tool, like wget (command-line browser) or possibly lynx (text mode browser), if they are available on your platform. Note that you'll need a "real" direct URL (not a javascript link) for wget to work. Lynx can handle some javascript, but a "real" direct URL is always better.

If none of the tools you try can download a file successfully, then it's probably your ISP traffic-shaping you. This is relatively common on mobile broadband. A downloader may not help you get the file any faster, but it may be able to limit the download rate on its own, which might help keep your ISP's traffic shaping from kicking in.

Only about 99% of them are. :)

Standard disclaimers apply: I don't get money or other consideration from any companies mentioned.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

On Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 12:56:01 PM UTC-4, Lasse Langwadt Christensen w rote:

e can recommend a download manager. I'm using Pale Moon(Firefox) on a US Ce llular 4G router. The download will suddenly stop and never start again. So metimes I can keep it going with Pause and Resume, but that doesn't always work. It's annoying and it eats up my limited 6gig a month of bandwidth.

Thanks I'll give it a try.

Reply to
Wanderer

That's why I decided to ask around before trying any.

Reply to
Wanderer

I think it is the ISP doing something, but I figured some downloader could at least do the manual pause and resume I've been doing. I use NetWorx to g et a graph of the download. The download will suddenly stop and wait foreve r. If I catch it right away on the ogg video files, I can left click on the download, pause and resume and it will continue where it left off. The zip files won't pause and resume saying it can't read the file, which is annoyi ng because it waits until its got 500MB before stalling.

Reply to
Wanderer