OT: Crackdown on Electric Cars!

These Lefties will never be satisfied until *everything* is banned!

electric-cars-ban

Cursitor Doom

I'm not sure that electric cars can reduce tyre wear, but engine-braking co uld minimise damage to brake pads.

Electronics engineers - like Cursitor Doom (more or less) - appreciate that electric motors can generate braking torque in exactly the same way they g enerate accelerating torque and to exactly the same extent - if you can spi n your wheels under acceleration, you can also generate as much braking tor que as you can use. And of course the non-skid braking algorithm can be use d to prevent you spinning your wheels under acceleration too, minimising ty re wear.

The Daily Express journalists may not know this, and Cursitor Doom may not have bothered to think it through for himself.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Please bracket links with to avoid wrapping.

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Why is it that the most unproductive members of our society blame the most productive members of our society for their failures?

They promoted diesel cars, and now want to fine people for having diesel cars. London can go back to horse-drawn hansom cabs.

Schools, and all public buildings, need good HEPA filters in their air systems. Our new place will be near a freeway, so we'll do that.

I went there the other day and was surprised to see this gigantic fan... looks like a helicopter.

That will theoretically reduce our need for a/c.

lunatic fringe electronics

should be fun once you put a mezzanine in.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

There is a mezz, but only the front third of the building; that will be engineering. The big room with the fan will be production. In addition to whole-building HEPA filtering, every production soldering workstation will have a solder-smoke slurper that pipes to a central vac and filter, then rooftop exhaust.

We make gear for semiconductor fabs, clean-room stuff, so we need to keep particulates and dust levels low for equipment as well as people. That stuff is final-cleaned and triple-bagged in a laminar flow hood with super-clean air.

Particulates are a public-health issue that can reasonably be dealt with. That's where we should spend money, not on senseless CO2 reduction. Diesels were a stupid and dangerous mistake.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

AFAIK the brake pads on the Volt are expected to last for the expected average life of the car, ~150k miles. The regeneration system covers most of a normal stop and the physical pads only engage in about the last 10-20%.

The scheduled maintenance for even a plug-in hybrid isn't particularly demanding. Rotate tires, check fluids and hoses

Reply to
bitrex

Is that an induction motor? They don't regenerate well at low speeds. You can apply a DC field to do braking, but I don't know if they do that.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com
[snip]
[snip]

Is that remarkable? My conventional Q45 is just now turning over 115K miles, and the service people said that "next year sometime" I'll finally need a brake job. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Why is it that the most unproductive members of our society blame the most productive members of our society for their failures?

The main drive motor is a 111 kW synchronous three phase permanent magnet AC motor, and there's a second motor/generator on a "shoot-thru" rated at AFAIK around 50kW, also permanent magnet but uses no rare-earths.

"In the first-generation Voltec system, both motors used NdFeB magnets. In the second generation, to optimize the EV range of the system, motor A was designed with a Ferrite magnet rotor while motor B was designed with an NdFeB magnet rotor. The Gen 2 system transmits most power through motor B under typical driving conditions, while motor A is used to augment power at high loads. Each motor design was optimized to match its distribution of operating points."

Reply to
bitrex

"Shoot-thru" clutch rather, at high speeds when operating on the ICE the computer may disengage "pure" series-hybrid operation and send power to the drivetrain both thru the secondary motor/genset and directly thru the mechanical clutch

Reply to
bitrex

Mostly highway miles? Stop-and-go city driving is where one really gets the benefits of regenerative braking. You can get similar longevity benefits if one spend most of the time on the open road - there's no wear if you just don't brake!

Reply to
bitrex

CO2 reduction equals improved mpg. America especially would benefit from some of that. I wonder how many people die due to the financial loss of low mpg vehicles followed by being unable to spend that money on life saving measures. That's how diesels win.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

n-UK-

ir

some of that. I wonder how many people die due to the financial loss of low mpg vehicles followed by being unable to spend that money on life saving m easures. That's how diesels win.

diesel is only slightly higher efficiency than gasoline, mpg is misleading because it doesn't take into account that diesel is heavier

gasoline 45 MJ/kg, 32 MJ/L Diesel 45 MJ/kg, 39 MJ/L

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Diesel fuel here costs more than regular-grade gasoline. And diesel cars cost more.

The three Edmund best-rated fuel efficient cars are gasoline powered. A diesel BMW is #4.

What's insane is immense hideous Dodge Ram diesel pickup trucks. People park them and let the engine run, pretending to be real truckers.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Hybrids don't get especially better mileage in San Francisco. We do use brakes a lot.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I get around 40-42 mpg using the gas engine in city/around town driving. Highway driving at between 50-65 mph I can easily get 50 mpg or above, particularly in the western part of MA.

Mpg figures rapidly get worse above 65 mph; the ~50 miles between Boston and Providence is mostly flat and at speeds where you're not in danger of getting run over by other traffic, around 75 mph, about the best I can do is 38 mpg.

Of course the ideal with a plug-in hybrid is to not use the gas engine at all for low-speed driving. I just switch the engine on going onto the highway and off at the exit ramp.

Reply to
bitrex

BTW the boost in mpg there comes from regenerating while coasting on downgrades. Assuming no other traffic if you knew the precise topography of the road you could probably figure out exactly what point to accelerate at and for how long to maximize efficiency

Reply to
bitrex

On Saturday, October 7, 2017 at 9:11:20 AM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote: ...

Diesels have been popular in Europe and UK for many decades because of their better fuel consumption. That was independent of any CO2 reduction.

Fuel is heavily taxed to be about 3 times (or more) than the price it is in the USA.

kevin

Reply to
kevin93

On Saturday, October 7, 2017 at 1:01:13 PM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote: ..

You will notice that the list does not include hybrid cars and in the US no body sells small diesels as they do in Europe so it is not a list of what i s possible only what the car makers have decided to sell. The only diesels sold tend to be larger more powerful versions of vehicles.

Also that list only rates highway fuel consumption - not overall. The Ford Fiesta at the top of the list for example has a 35mpg combined rating.

The equivalent Ford Fiesta diesel that is sold in the UK would have a fuel consumption of ~57mpg when adjusted for US gallon size and US testing metho d ( i.e. about 60% better than the gasoline version).

kevin

Reply to
kevin93