OT computer USB Beep at connect.discounect

You said other devices made the sound! That volume control not only controls all devices, but every windows sound your system makes.

--

  Rick C.

  +- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices Properties: Sounds tab. Select what program even you want a sound, highlight event name, select sound, click OK. For sanity, give the Sound scheme a name and save it.

Reply to
Robert Baer

On a sunny day (Thu, 15 Aug 2019 19:34:36 -0500) it happened amdx wrote in :

I bought gold when it was low, the guy could not deliver as the price went up, I called my law insurance and they did something to the guy I now have the gold, and it went up again. All that with almost zero interest rates... stock prices falling.

Would donald trump devaluate the US dollar? Like China did the yuan?

When I assembled my computahs I put a Linux OS on it I do not update OSes.

But I do have one laptop with a partition with the latest and greatest Linux version so it can run recent browsers as those are moving targets..

The latest PC is from 2013 now on 6 years 24/7.

Yesterday I used my eeePC from 11 years ago to read some thermocouples.

I guess one of these days the electrolytic caps in my PC mobo here will fail, that is usually the first thing, had to replace power supply in an other old PC.

Backup PC > 15 years old, very expensive mobo, still same Linux OS, :-)

It takes up to about 2 weeks to install all my software on a new PC. Compile from source, scripts.

Not waiting for that ..

Keyboard is wired, no listening in to what I type. Added X extra USB ports, well

Jan Panteltje

Anyone who wants to can not only pick up what you type, they can see what is on your screen. They need to be within about 500 feet though. See any plain white vans outside?

--

  Rick C.

  ++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Not only that, but "they" can also see where your horse stepped into your manure.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Find a new or known working keyboard. Try it in place of your malfunctional keyboard. If that fixes the stuck key problem, recycle your old keyboard and live happily ever after. If that does not fix the problem, hire an exorcist to purge the computah from evil spirits. If the keyboard has experienced some water incursion, try baking it in an oven (not a microwave oven) at low temperatures to help evaporate any residual water. If it's always the same key, try blowing compressed air under the key caps to dislodge any debris that might be causing the mechanism to stick.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

ttttttttttttttttttttttt

onnect has

so

the computer

ng

Why not? It is the easiest test. And if you use a keyboard eventually it

will fail, and sometimes in interesting ways.

Borrow a keyboard with a friend...at least remove the simplest suspect that is someone may have spilled some lquid on the keyboard and not mentioned it to you or not even noticed it...

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

On a sunny day (Fri, 16 Aug 2019 20:41:19 -0800) it happened Robert Baer wrote in :

Wrong, that was true in the case of CRT monitors, both with a PMT and also from the RF from the CRT drive nice papers about that in those years in sci.crypt. With LCD screens that would be Ferry Art.

Can look up their paper if you need, must be on some PC here.

No, they use helicopters here, hang above your head and scan with ultrasound, also IR to see if you have big lamps so are growing plants,

Plenty of horses here still, they do leave markers too at times.

But I know world is reversed at you side of the planet,

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Sometimes you are just too unaware of your own limitations.

--

  Rick C.

  --- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

On a sunny day (Fri, 16 Aug 2019 22:03:31 -0700) it happened Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

I have taken my keyboard apart and greased each key (after cleaning all keys) with this: Super Lube Synthetic Grease With PTFE For Crown Gears Guide Posts Plastic Safe

That also made the keyboard more silent. Stuck keys? No. Getting a bit wear after using this keyboard for so many years.

Not every keyboard is the same, new logitech keyboard: lettering came off after a week. This is a very old one, super nice.

exorcism no, you have t be a believer for that, i am not Banging your head on the keys is not recommended either,

Anybody tried voice to text? I had part of Winfields text read by my a text to voice system (on e-reader) some wimin voice, was OK until it got to the math, there I lost it stroke dash dot comma .. .blah blah.

If anybody wants an audio track of that I can put it on the site :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Rick C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

That is very old (CRT days) and no longer true. Display data can not be picked up any more, and keyboards are no longer 5 V TTL device pinging out magnetic signatures.

I doubt they can do it outside 5 foot distance from any device and would not be able to sniff much off that.

We no longer have two computer case and shield specs either like we used to, because motherboards are not screaming out bit stream mag fields like they used to either. See all those cases with acrylic windows in them?

You would even have trouble getting proper key sequences from a bluetooth connected keyboard, because those links are encrypted.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org wrote in news:qj8l59$1bsg$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

This was called "Tempest" by the military/intelligence boys back when they were worried about it.

We had an early LCD display and we had a conductive 1/8" coated "Tempest" shield glass that we mounted over the face. It was meant for CRT displays though, and despite our use of it on the LCD, there was no emission from the face of that LCD panel that folks nearby could "read" and discern with it on or off. They were $450 each back in '88.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Aug 17, 2019, snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org wrote (in article ):

TEMPEST is still around:

.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I often clean customers keyboards. A paper clip with a right angle bend on the top to extract the hair or fur balls from under the keys. Compressed air (from a real air compressor, not a can of compressed air) to blow out the debris. Sometimes, I have temporarily remove the corner key caps to extract all the debris. In such an environment, greasing the key mechanism will glue the dirt, dust, hair, fur, crud, etc in place. Unless you use a keyboard cover, I don't think any grease or lube will work. Also, with the crud and grease mix stuck between the moving parts of the keys, it will be difficult to extract later without a complete disassembly followed by a soap and solvent bath.

Not yet. Give it time and a little dirt, dust, etc...

There are groups dedicated to the preservation of ancient IBM keyboards, which are allegedly the best and longest lasting. Notice the rather high prices for these antiques. I really regret having sent a car trunk load of nothing but old keyboards to the recyclers.

I have the same problem. When working with solvents and forgetting to use gloves, the solvent is absorbed into my finger tips. If I type anything, even after washing my hands, the solvent attacks the miserable quality ink used for printing the key lettering.

Also, I've noticed that some keyboards have both disappearing lettering and polished key caps. That suggests some kind of abrasive action. Watching people type, I've noticed that some people push down on the key at an angle, which causes the finger tip to slide across the key cap. I play piano, which taught me to bend the fingers when playing, so I don't have this problem. However, someone who's fingers slide across the key caps is going to rapidly remove the lettering and polish the key caps.

I also have another problem with Logitech. They insist on using some form of rubber based paint for coating their products. Allegedly, the rubber gives the mouse or keyboard a better grip or "feel". What it really does is decompose in about 5 years into a sticky mess, thus inspiring the customer to purchase a new replacement. I try to avoid any products with a painted rubber surface finish.

Probably has double injection molded key cap lettering, which never wears out.

It is not necessary to believe in the technology in order to use it. I participate in many daily activities (voting, banking, fast food, traffic regulations, cloud storage, etc) in which I have very little understanding, confidence, or belief. I have seen a sufficient number of miraculous repairs, that I have added exorcism to my collection of tools. Admittedly, I do reserve exorcism for persistent problems, uncooperative devices, and weird problems. Still, it might worth trying at the next opportunity. You can work on the believing part later.

True. It's easier to bang the keys on your head, than your head on the keys.

Most Smartphones have a speech to text feature. It's useful for producing perfect spelling and grammatical butchery in email and text messages. If you're into word substitution games, speech to text is for you. Text to speech is quite good at pronouncing most words but fairly useless for numbers, acronyms, jargon, formulas, Greek scientific symbols, tabular data, ignoring fine print, regional accents, foreign names, imitating the senders voice, etc. I'm really impressed with the progress made since the Apple Newton, but there's still plenty of room for improvement.

No thanks. After performing a miraculous Windoze 10 resurrection yesterday, partly by petitioning the computer gods for a favorable outcome, I don't want to risk losing my accumulated karma by unleashing the audio track on the world.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

On a sunny day (Sat, 17 Aug 2019 11:01:22 -0700) it happened Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

No, I took al the keys out, washed them like you wash dishes in dishwasher water, cleaned the rest (were the keys go in) That was leme see: 09/30/2013 Jan Panteltje (40K) Fw: Bevestiging van je bestelling van Super Lube Synthetic Grease With PTFE For Crown Gears Guide Posts Plastic Safe... (ebay)

So, and until this day nothing is stuck it was very bad on several keys before that, I clean the keyboard with vacuum cleaner every week though, Always food and cookies.

2013 - 2019 is 6 years, VERY intensively used (typing on it now, programming on it). Only greased it once.

I got the tip for the grease just from a group like that, Maybe you will find it if you google for the grease I used. I still have the tube, and if it EVER gets stuck I will use it again, super stuff.

Yes, we used those at work were across the road from IBM sort of an IBM connected company, the springs in the key system, very nice typing.

In a way it gets like HiFi audio, I am used to these now, and to my cheap speakers.,,, It gets the work done, not so much focused on typing. Thousands of lines of code,

I have a several other keyboards, but always come back to this, I have a water proof one you can fold, and small remote like ones, and a neat Chinese wireless one,

Here a picture of my Logitech keyboard:

The damage to the spacebar is mine :) I bought this around 2003? Still on ebay:
:-) Model Y-SZ49

Yes, I know that stuff, you can remove it with 'terpentine' (turpentine in English?) many Chinese products (Logitech is made in China too) use that, when I see it I remove it.

Once I was at the home of a friend, She had bought a very old TV, it just did not give a picture.

I measured something and concluded the CRT had some internal problem. (all voltages on it were normal). Put my hand on the set and spoke the words 'Only a miracle can fix this tube..' There was a big flash and there was the picture, What can you say about that?

yea,..

Wise decision :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Joseph Gwinn wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.giganews.com:

can

mag

acrylic

there

back

The point, Joe, is that device emissions are not... as much.

Back when it was introduced sure. But nowadays, one would have to be sniffing within inches of a device.

So yeah, sure... it is still around and is still a problem, just now worried a lot more about catching the sniffers than shielding from them at the level they did when CRT's were spewing screen data. But they are indeed still concerned. Too much methinks...

I made an inline, SATA attached encrypted hard drive enclosure with keypad crypto access and officer's "Crypto Ignition Key" port, and the enclosure lid was fully EMI sealed as were all of the external connection ports. So the case had little 'cells', kind of like the old radio hobbed out chassis with little tank circuit boxes milled out in them. It had those little glass beaded 'capacitors' that feed a wire through a shield wall for the power connection. It was HAIPE certified and sealed. (FIPS std).