Improvising handset beep?

This is about communications between house and shed/workshop. Important stuff, like being called in for dinner. For some years I've had a one-way gadget that sounds a tone in the shed when either a certain light switch in the house or the front doorbell is pressed. But I'd like to be able to *acknowledge* that, by pressing a button which would sound a tone in the house.

To avoid the hassle of wiring or more expensive solutions, I thought I'd simply utilise the Paging function on the downstairs cordless phone, a Samsung SP-R5100. But I'd forgotten how ancient it is. Handsets are no longer available, even at DigiUK who sell some old stuff. And none on ebay UK.

Under 'Intercom Between Handsets' in the user guide, not surprisingly I read "This feature is available only when you have more than one handset." But I wonder how hard it would be to rig up something primitive? Any radio/wireless/mobile experts here able to offer any suggestions please?

Or, by some fluke, anyone in UK reading this who has a spare handset gathering dust...?

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

If you have mains supply to the workshop why not a simple plug into the mains intercom at either end. I've probably a set of 2 or 3 somewhere.

n cook

Yep, thanks, reasonable solution, and I may end up with that. Has the advantage of speech! (Hmm - for shed communications, maybe that's a disadvantage?) But ideally I'd like to avoid finding room to stand or mount the units, and minimise expense. At present my gadget occupies zero extra space in house, and in shed one small case mounted up in ceiling corner, with my simple receiving circuit. (Power supply from one of the several already in place.) Quick look beforehand at Maplin found a pair at about £32UKP, inc VAT and delivery. What price are yours?

That's an interesting stock you have! You're not by any chance the same guy I used to buy bits and pieces from somewhere in South London about 25 years ago are you? I recall there was room in there for just him and one customer at a time. Rest of space occupied by Stuff .

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

I'll try and find them first , the problem is there may be 3 units rather than 2 but 12 squid plus p&p if 3 units, 9 squid if 2

Reply to
n cook

Just use the same wires, and add a speaker in the house, and a button in the shed, such that when either button is pressed, both speakers sound. :-)

If you only have two wires, this could be an interesting project indeed! ;-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

One of the companies that advertises kits was selling a kit in which each station contains a small amplifier and uses a variant of power line signalling in which pressing the send button on one station applies power through the signal line to the receive station, the company has a PDF schematic for download so its worth googling electronic kits and see if it turns up!

Reply to
ian field

Wireless doorbells?

FRS handheld radios? Or is that frequency band allowed for public use in the UK?

How about a pair of these?

Jerry

Reply to
jerry_maple

Thanks for those. Will follow up and report back.

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

Thanks. Let me know if you put your hands on them, and you'll have my order pronto.

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

Hi Terry...

Being called in for dinner? You mean sending in your request for another cold one, don't you? :) :)

If there happens to be a few extra dollars (pounds) available, why not buy yourself one of those two or even three handset cordless phone sets?

Telephone answering and placing outgoing in your shed; they allow inter-handset conversations, call transferring, etc. Fantastic. Great at the lake - the main base in the cottage, another handset in the garage/workshop, and the third in the boathouse/dock area.

Don't know what might be available to you over across the pond (I'm in one of the colonies :) but Panasonic makes a great one if you can find it.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Thanks Ken. That's why my first choice would have been to simply buy an extra handset. But there's nothing wrong with the single-handset Samsung, so not keen to dump it.

Anyway, early tests indicate that the dock to heli-pad range might be an issue .

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

Why not just use a simple and cheap wireless doorbell?

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Thanks Dave. I do already use adapted versions of those in a few R/C gadgets, but range is an issue. Although house to shed/workshop is well within the claimed range, the various walls (including the intervening garage) plus possibly the many sources of interference in my workshop make reception unreliable.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Reply to

2 Realistic Plug n' Talk checked working both ways beep and speech. One has cosmetic damage, 500 gram each
Reply to
n cook

Great. I've emailed you, if that ID is pukka.

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

rather

Halfway down

has my email address in picture form

Reply to
n cook

Any cordless phone with intercom feature would work...doesn't even have to be hooked up to the phone line (although infinitely more useful if so). They click 'intercom' in the house, handset beeps, you push a button and say 'Right-o'.

I pick these up at second-hand stores and yard (to you teabaggers, I believe that would be 'boot') sales for a couple of dollars. Usually a good cleaning and new battery pack puts them in order...sometimes have to cobble up a new power supply from my extensive stock of wall warts.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

OK, re-sent email.

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

Err, hosepipe and two funnels.

Job done :-)

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Wont work! - you need a food pulveriser and a pump to force it through the hosepipe!

Reply to
ian field