OT: Brits: What's a woodie?

Here, it's got a couple of slang meanings. But, my other half is watching videos from a brit paint artist who refers to "using her orange (is color important?) woodie" (sp?)

Reply to
Don Y

mandag den 26. juli 2021 kl. 20.46.56 UTC+2 skrev Don Y:

?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

A make of crayon.

Clive Arthur

Don Y snipped-for-privacy@foo.invalid wrote in news:sdmvup$7p7$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Let's just say that the last "orange woodie" some goddamned large bunch of utter idiots failed to vet and put into office did a real good job of f****ng things up around here and at the global level as well.

Color of the wood and species is 'important'.

Just spittin' out words to see where they splatter. --John Wayne

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Ah! So like our aadoption of brand names as representative of the product (e.g., a "Xerox" is a photocopy)

Thanks! I'll let her sort out if there is a US equivalent...

Reply to
Don Y

Crayola

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

I don't think so. The description (URL cited) suggests it is a cross between a watercolor pencil, wax crayon and regular colored pencil. (e.g., I know she has each of these in her art drawers). Rather than risk coming to a wrong conclusion, I'll throw it on *her* to sort out what is intended!

Reply to
Don Y

Maybe an orange stick? Sticks of soft orangewood are used for various purposes, perhaps blending pastels or charcoal with a stick is what is intended.

Reply to
whit3rd

Not quite. It's not common parlance but would be known by art teachers, for example.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Ah! So, I'm lucky to have an art teacher posting here? ;)

Reply to
Don Y