OT: Body Drill Size

Strange, but I can't seem to Google the proper body drill size for a #8 sheet metal screw thru about 1/8" thick plastic material.

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Depends on the type of plastic I guess. Maybe the numbers for wood help:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 | =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

Well Jim, there are many types of sheet metal screws and threads. It maybe best to quarry the screw manufactuers for the recommended hole size for your material. Baring that some empirical tests maybe best. Machinery's handbook may point you in the right direction.

Reply to
rnscrs

You say "thru". Do you want the clearance through hole or a tap into the plastic?

In either case,

and then to "Jim's Engineering Page" where there is an Excel spreadsheet with through hole and tap hole drill bit references.

Jim

-- "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle

RST Engineering (jw)

Brings new meaning to "data mining" eh?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Thanks! I really needed "tap", rather than through-hole, just another senior moment ;-)

But that (yellow ?:-) background color could easily make one have hallucinations ;-)

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

Yep! I guess I need to query the quarry to get the data I need ;-)

...Jim Thompson