OT: Best Website Hosting?

You are going to piss off GMX, which certainly is the worst of the worst!!

Germany is a country where things are efficient. Yet it is a cesspool of spammers. Maybe they have a lot of open relays in Germany.

Note to stop open relaying, most mail servers insist you read from the first as a way to get credentials.

Reply to
miso

Ok, but the most aggravating situations are typically when you can't get emails through to a place where you had lots of email exchanges with before. That would simply not happen with automatic white-listing.

Even new email addresses can be handled. My email program uses a Bayesion filter and it works very well. Once a day I glance through the discards and it almost never catches valid emails. But 98%+ of spam goes in there.

Challenge/response is a nuisance and essentially tells the world "We can't get our hands around email filtering and threw in the towel". Same with those stupid captchas which don't work half the time.

Not really. Why can't they delay sending out the first, say, 1000 emails by a minute or two and stop them if spam. That isn't a nuisance to new customers. A spam pattern would show up rather soon.

I know companies that dumped their ISP after they had enough problems. When emails don't get through that can be a major problem. I've had cases where we needed to use an engineer's personal email account and that can get dicey.

Oooh, now the goon will come after you :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Well, all I can say is that my email program filters it out nicely. I do not get spam from gmx into my scrubbed inbox yet still the (few) valid emails from that domain make it through. So it is possible to filter more intelligently than those cop "services".

Looking at my trash box the real cesspools are elsewhere. With NGs it was so bad for a while that I had to block a whole domain myself because my ISP couldn't get it done. But now I am subscribed to a service that has excellent NG spam scrubbing (in Germany, actually ...), which IMHO is worth the 10 Euros I pay per year. They do have the occasional false positive though.

Not sure what that means but I want email to get through if it isn't spam. And it isn't so hard to detect that.

This less than desirable reliablity of email is the reason why I keep a running fax machine at all times, plus a spare fax machine. Whle the telco networks have begun fraying they are still more reliable than the Internet.