OT: AVG and Firewall

I recall there are a few experienced AVG users here. As a newcomer to it, I'd appreciate a little help please (either here or via email).

Finally uninstalled NAV yesterday (when it annoyed me one time too many by telling me my subscription code from last renewal March 2005 was invalid). Installed AVG Free.

But I'm confused about the firewall and would appreciate some advice please. I gather AVG has its own firewall, even though I have the XP Home Firewall switched on? In the Help, I read that I am apparently supposed to "Define Exceptions: Switch to the Exceptions tab with the list of applications that are blocked to access to the Internet. You need to allow access to Internet for all AVG Anti-Virus applications."

However, that seems to be written for XP *SP2* users, because the SP1 Firewall settings does not include provision for those exceptions.

BTW, I'm getting an odd occasional 'whooshing' sound effect which has only occurred since I installed AVG. Searched the settings but can't see any mention...

Any help would be much appreciated please.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Reply to

Hi Terry, AVG free doesnt have a firewall, AFAIU. I use Zonealarm, with AVG, and have disabled the XP firewall. It seems to work OK on SP1 and SP2. ZA takes a bit of getting used to, It seems to need the security set to low, otherwise nothing gets through

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Oh !

I use AVG with Zone Alarm.

Where's this AVG firewall ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

That's what I thought to .

me too !

Not using XP here.

Yes ?

I find ZA's configuring a doddle. It'll ask you relevant questions as your applications ask for Internet access.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Ah, well its was when I started trying to file share on my PC's, I couldnt figure out which PC was blocking the transfer, or if the PC wasnt letting me access the files, or was it the firewall, or did the router need a reboot

Very occasionally, it ( networking) all completely stops, all the IP addys look ok, but even Ping dont work, and the only recourse is to do a system restore

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Thanks all. I misread the Help Contents "10. Firewall Settings"!

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Install SP2. Its funny you know, MS never closed the holes once, everyone complained. Now they try to close all the holes and everyone complains.

Reply to
The Real Andy

You can set permission in Zone Alarm for a block of addresses for your intranet. Click "Firewall" on the left side, then select "Zones" near the top right corner, then click on "Add" button near the bottom right corner.

I set up both common DHCP router ranges:

192.168.1.0-192.168.1.255 and

192.168.2.0-192.168.2.255 which will cover most home networking addresses. That just leaves you with allowing the individual programs to access the network. If you click on "Remember this" when you give permission to a program you won't see it again.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I tried to, and the install hung up on a 'file not found' with a question as to whether it should continue. I said NO FUCKING WAY!

That's SP2 blown out forever as far as I'm concerned.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org