OT: AntiVirus Software?

Has anyone ever heard of a "Free" "Antivirus" program that, when it's installed, acts like it, itself, is a virus?

I think I just broke my Doze box by downloading and installing, willy- nilly, about four "free" "antivirus" things all at once. And one of them would keep giving me alerts, which isn't what I wanted.

I've decided the simplest thing I can do is just format and start over with a clean install, but I'm curious if there are unscrupulous people who would present something like that, but it's actually spyware or something?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Let me see if i got this right ---

You wnated to protect the contents of your computer, so you downloaded some software you know nothing about and installed it on your computer?

Reply to
Richard Henry

You should never install more than one AV program at a time. By nature of how they do their job, they look like virus infections to each other and can/will make your maching unbootable.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Anth>You should never install more than one AV program at a time.

AVG (gratis) if it is a personal box. NOD32 (payware) if it is a company box.

Norton & McAfee have become bloated abortions.

Reply to
JeffM

Anth>You should never install more than one AV program at a time.

That was my first thought as well.

AVG (gratis) if it is a personal box. NOD32 (payware) if it is a company box.

Norton & McAfee have become bloated abortions.

Reply to
JeffM

Yes. There are many out there, but the one I see most often is WinAntivirus, found at

It constantly tells you that your computer is infected with fictitious threats, urging you to purchase an upgrade from them to more effectively combat the infection, and all the while it installs somewhat less fictitious threats in the background.

Reply to
Autarchex

Yes, and now I'm paying the consequences.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

No.

Use AVG free. Use nothing else. BTW, it's a shame it's so hard to BUY their software off them.

--
.
Reply to

Google's 'ads' for a Winantivirus search. Doesn't THAT tell you something?

Winantivirus - Remove

Free, secure and easy Spyware scan. Removes Winantivirus.

Remove Winantivirus Guide Remove-Winantivirus.info Stop Winantivirus Popups Instantly Quick Easy Steps, Free Information.

WinAntiVirus Removal Tool AdwareAlert.com Remove WinAntiVirus Forever Quick & Safe WinAntiVirus Remover

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

What's so hard about it? I bought their two-year subscription about a year ago, and had no problems...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

I tried to buy a package for a Windows Server and several XP workstations and it was pain all the way. I finally had to refund the whole thing because they were so hard to buy from.

Mind you another one I tried was just as bad - their 'support' team seemed to know nothing about their software which would not install.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson