Re: Removing Symantec/Norton Antivirus

> I'm biting the bullet and removing Symantec/Norton Antivirus. > > What's the recommended replacement? > > ...Jim Thompson >
[...]

Maybe one a month I'll run "Ad-aware"

Never finds anything, hence I've no idea how good it is. Through total lack of interest on my part I'm not even sure what it's even supposed to be doing. Presumably it does work as a couple of years ago it spotted a Trojan picked up within a couple of minutes of installing my new broadband modem and thus 'incentivised' me (been watching too much recent TV :), to fit a firewall prog 'ZoneAlarm'. (I'm on an original XP install). Seems a well battened down firewall may be a key. I still visit the same scummy/weird corners of the Internet and had enormous scum software problems using Win95/98 but at that time had no firewall installed.

Reply to
john jardine

I run both Ad-aware and Spybot periodically... seems to catch mostly nuisance cookies.

I sometimes wonder if you can really get much of anything if you follow the simple rules of not opening anything that comes via E-mail, and watch out what sites you download from.

Time to break out the vino and prep myself so I don't get too sick during the "debate" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I use Ad-aware and the old Spybot. Spybot has been around for a long time. One or the other catches different things. I have had to search for specific problems on the web or groups. One problem, someone wrote a little program to remove something I had for the Google search bug. I think the Microsoft malicious software removal tool is a pain and does nothing.

greg

Reply to
GregS