OT: A good start

they could add 10% water to gasoline and get about 10 percent mileage reduction. 20npercent of ethanol (which is almost as energetic as gasoline) isn't going to do that.

Jasen Betts

Only Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson would be silly enough to see et hanol in gasoline as as a left-wing program.

It's mostly about giving government subsidies to corn-growing agribusiness

- one more pork barrel. In the US it's a pretty silly idea - "Figures comp iled in a 2007 by National Geographic Magazine point to modest results for corn ethanol produced in the US: one unit of fossil-fuel energy is required to create 1.3 energy units from the resulting ethanol." It makes more sens e in Brazil, where the ratio - from sugar-cane - is closer to 8:1.

doesn't seem to notice any left-wing content in the political support. The gasoline business likes adding alcohol because it is a cheap and easy way o f getting the octane rating they need.

--

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Tell you what. You keep "almost" all your money and send me the rest. You'll be 40% poorer (though that's probably no loss). You're wrong, BTW.

Reply to
krw

Yeast metabolize sugar into alcohol or acid depending on how long they are allowed to process. They don't care about the source. If you are making wine or beer the starting materials are still in the consumable product. Any other use distills out the alcohol so that the starting materials are of no consequence. I've heard of projects to use switchgrass and other fast growing crops that will grow on land not suitable for other crops (but that might not use yeast, I'm not sure).

The point is there are *lots* of crops that can be used to make ethanol, it's not just corn.

--

Rick C
Reply to

The challenge there being, you need to add cellulase, which is expensive; whereas the seed already contains amylase and all you need to do is malt it (heat to a modest temperature with lots of water).

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

You are right, but there are not lots of crops that can be converted to ethanol as cheaply as corn can be converted to ethanol. I think that even corn based ethanol is more expensive than ethanol made from natural gas.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

It's too bad the sugarcane lobby never took off in the US. :^)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

Why bother with extracting ethanol (the pansy fuel) from natural gas when CNG can easily be used directly in automobiles?

Many governmental fleets around Arizona already use CNG. ...Jim Thompson

Don't you dare try to Californicate my Arizona.

Kindly go back to Nancy Pelosi and Jerry Brown land where you will
feel at home.

Like the Paris Climate Accords?

Go for it... enjoy the tax cost added to that of your wonderful
(but useless) high-speed rail.

Suckers!

I realize you know everything, but metered ramps, no matter how much the might "inconvenience" you, do work:

hondgm