OT: A good start

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that is the secret of happiness." -James Barrie

Dead link, but this works:

Milling grain, yeah, flammable dust is dangerous business. :-(

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

Seems the "keepers of the truth" have already done their job.

"This video no longer available"

Reply to
krw

They mill corn for ethanol production.

Martin Riddle

I don't know what annoys me more, ethanol put in gasoline by political hack "scientists"... reducing BTU's, thus lowering effective mileage, or "metered" ramps into the freeways... full stop plus accelerate to merging speed... how much excess CO2 does that produce? ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that is the secret of happiness." -James Barrie

Yep. I did a demo (~1954) in science class in Junior High School (middle school for you young'ens)...

Take a tobacco can, drill hole in bottom, insert funnel from inside thru the hole, add lighted candle inside can, fill funnel with flour, attach rubber tubing to end of funnel, put lid on tobacco can, blow thru rubber tubing.

I put a dent in the classroom ceiling ;-) ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

DHS would have you behind bars, today.

Reply to
krw

Supposed to reduce Knocking, but they could of just increased Octane. Instead they used MTBE that poluted ground water then switched to ethanol which reduced mileage. We could save a ton of oil by just increasing octane. And all this was targeted at pre '84 cars.

Martin Riddle

How many pre '84 cars were on the roads at the time? Seems it was a payoff to "big corn".

Reply to
krw

Martin Riddle wrote on 6/1/2017 9:41 PM:

I don't know what either of you are going on about. I been tracking my mileage carefully for 20 years in the same vehicle and have never seen an decrease in fuel consumption from ethanol.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson at it again. There was never any sci entific case for putting ethanol in petrol, but the corn lobby saw a way o f selling more corn on the pretext that ethanol was a "green" fuel, made by extracting CO2 from the air. the fact that growing the corn involved a lot of energy generated by burning fossil carbon made the proposition a nonsen se from the start.

"Metered" ramps onto freeways is a device to keep the traffic on the free-w ay flowing smoothly, and at a relatively high average speed (which does imp ly better mileage and lower CO2 emissions than you get when the car density gets high enough for the drivers to start bunching up and slowing down).

The initial acceleration to motorway speed may burn up extra fuel, but it i s more than balanced by the lower consumption in smooth-flowing traffic.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It's about %10 decrease in fuel economy. Plus ethanol has a cleaning effect on the fuel system, it loosens the rust in the fuel tank and it winds up in the fuel filter. Change my filter at least once a year for

3 years after ethanol was added.

Martin Riddle

Huh. Some people need a jato bottle or carrier launch catapult to get on the road safely.

Reply to
Bill Martin

Yep. The weenie cars. It amazes me how rude drivers of weenie cars are, and how many risks they take cutting across multiple lanes. Maybe it's a death wish.

Me, I drive an old Q45, with a V8 big enough to dust Mustangs ;-) ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

This video is no longer available This video is no longer available. We apologize for the inconvenience. Source: CNN

Reply to
Robert Baer

The Clown News Network (*) doesn't want anyone to see anything derogatory about one of the left's pet cash cows.

(*) ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that is the secret of happiness." -James Barrie

10% would be noticeable. I have gotten 20 mpg highway ever since I bought my truck 19 years ago. Individual tanks will be 19 mpg because of a bit more city driving and once in awhile I manage to squeeze out 21 mpg.

My understanding is for some period the ethanol was added only in the winter for pollution benefits and I didn't see a difference then either. I think the mileage thing is pretty much bunk. It's certainly not 10%.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Den fredag den 2. juni 2017 kl. 17.14.19 UTC+2 skrev rickman:

ethanol is an octane booster, seems like a safer choice than lead or mtbe

ethanol is ~66% the energy per volume compared to gasoline, so with 10% added it is a few % less energy. Being in bad mood probably makes more difference on mileage

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I can easily detect a 10% difference in mileage. It's a bad deal, from any angle you want to look at it, *except* the corn lobby.

Reply to
krw

Old 6-cylinder Mustangs.

Reply to