OT: A Bunch of Hot Air

Can't argue with logic like that.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I can assure you that the scientist didn't get to review the article. That is not terribly common from what I've been told.

Stock in what? My point is that you are attributing a lot of claims to the researcher who has not said any of this. He may talk about where the research is heading, but he is doing research, not design.

Top down is not -all at once-. You decompose the design so that you can then design the pieces. This man's research is on one piece of the problem. He is not trying to design a working solution.

--

Rick
Reply to

Someone take note!!! I wrote something John Larkin can't argue with!!!

--

Rick
Reply to

:)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Is that my tongue in my cheek?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

te:

Hi Rick, don't get all worked up, it's not that important.

I'm reminded of one of Muller's theorems.

"We tend to believe everything we read in the newspaper, unless we know something about the story, and then the newspaper is not just wrong, it's completely backwards."

Maybe this guy can can train microbes to do some chemical process better.

But it aint gonna reduce our carbon footprint by making fuel.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Burn the bacteria.

--
Cheers,
James Arthur

Atmosphere Popeye sez "I yam dizzypointed, where are the polytissns?"

Reply to
Robert Baer

Atmosphere

It's nuze and points for grants.

Reply to
Robert Baer

My wheels are all non-ferrous. :)

enough left over to pay them.

   Sometimes Friday is just the fifth Monday of the week. :(
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Do you understand why?

Reply to
Gib Bogle

:

Too true for English-language science journalism. Dutch science journalists are much better, and often have a degree in the subject they are reporting on. English language science journalists see science journalism as a stepp ing stone to reporting a more prestigious area.

Very rare. New Scientist may do better, and Scientific American may have do ne better back when it was worth reading.

Science journalists are notorious for taking quotes out of context to maxim ise their impact.

He's part of a process that may well lead to a working solution, but a lot of the work is put into working out which approaches won't work.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

use.

Atmosphere

The work was done with DoE grant money.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Oh...the IRONy of it all..

Reply to
Robert Baer

use.

Atmosphere

OK, give US the Grants (the bills)..

Reply to
Robert Baer

use.

Atmosphere

Done with hardworking taxpayers money. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

As a minor diversion from the discussion in progress, I'd like to put in a "plug" for the science journal I moved to when Scientific American stopped holding my iterest:

American Scientist

It's not as thick as SciAm, and it's only published six times a year, but I have enjoyed it for more than a decade now.

Here in Richmond you can browse a copy at the magazine racks at Barnes & Noble.

Enjoy...

Frank McKenney

--
  Nearly every feature of the American system of manufacturing, from
  the elements of the new textile machinery to the concept of

Hah. Not even 1%.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Methinks you are way too generous.

?-(

Reply to
josephkk

Or is it that it just doesn't work on you?

Reply to
josephkk