OT: A Bunch of Hot Air

Pyrococcus furiosus to the rescue...carbon neutral energy production and use.

Discovery May Allow Scientists to Make Fuel from Carbon Dioxide in the Atmosphere

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Atmosphere

That's crazy. Trees and such use sunlight; this guy has to feed the bacteria hydrogen. Where is the hydrogen going to come from? Why not burn it directly?

There are dozens of silly scientific press releases\\\\\\\ breakthroughs every week.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Atmosphere

That was the natural strain of bacteria not the genetically modified variety that needs hydrogen.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

use.

mosphere

Huh?, don't they teach biochemists about the conservation of energy?

This line stood out, "The research team then used hydrogen gas to create a chemical reaction in the microorganism that incorporates carbon dioxide into 3- hydroxypropionic acid,"

OK where's the hydrogen come from?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

So they make 3-hydroxypropionic acid, a common industrial chemical. Where does the H2 come from?

Reply to
Gib Bogle

use.

Atmosphere

that needs hydrogen.

Where is the energy going to come from?

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

use.

Atmosphere

Why?

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Atmosphere

From methane/steam reformation, which is where almost all of any production quantities comes from and produces prodigious amounts of CO2. Or from electrolysis, which requires electrical energy, most of which comes from fossil fuels (85% or so) and which produces prodigious amounts of CO2.

Given the best case of chemical inefficiencies (which are nowhere near as efficient as some quantum processes), it's probably useless on principle.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Wait, wait, don't tell me! Solar cells and electrolysis! It's free!

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Yeah. mikek didn't even address the question George asked, at all. Maybe misunderstood George's point.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

nd use.

Atmosphere

Thanks Jon, I meant it as a rhetorical question.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

use.

Atmosphere

Irony doesn't work well on usenet.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

use.

Atmosphere

I perfectly understood George pointing out the obvious flaw. Clear as a bell.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

hehe. Okay. ;) Please accept my apology for simply fail Excess carbon dioxide in Earth's atmosphere created by the widespread burning of fossil fuels is the major driving force of global climate change, and researchers the world over are looking for new ways to generate power that leaves a smaller carbon footprint.

and in the next paragraph,

Their discovery may soon lead to the creation of biofuels made directly from the carbon dioxide in the air that is responsible for trapping the sun's rays and raising global temperatures.

George's words po> And the rest of the line you [George] snipped is,

and,

I guess I missed how that improved George's point or made it any clearer, is all. But it's not important I do. George's point simply demolishes the article lead without help.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

The article clearly said "new ways to generate power" and "Their discovery may soon lead to the creation of biofuels made directly from the carbon dioxide in the air"

So, free energy from CO2?

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

You need to consider that you are reading a Science "News" article. Stories of research are often inflated to increase the Wow factor or even to add one where none existed. This guy is doing fundamental research. He does not claim to have solved the world's energy problem. He is just taking a small step towards finding a way to generate fuels from CO2 rather than starting with petroleum sources.

Why do you have to treat it like he is trying to fool anyone?

If you don't like the article, why not raise your concerns with the source, "Science Daily"?

--

Rick
Reply to

Where is the energy going to come from?

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

No we both say the same flaw...

It's like only 10% of America that understands the conservation of energy..

grumble... George H.

Reply to
George Herold

[snip]

More like 1%

99% say, "Sequester should be pardoned and sent back to Portugal"

We've become a nation of ignorance, "smart" phones, and Hollywoodized "minds" :-( ...Jim Thompson

n and use.

the Atmosphere

-

Hmmm... OK is there some dam% irony emoticon? (I only 'get' the smiley face one :^)... George H.

ed text -

Reply to
George Herold