oscilloscope

Could anybody tell me why does charger burn out when I connect just one probe clamp of oscilloscope to high voltage side of circuit? thanx

Reply to
dim77x

Scope is without isolated ground. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

I'm not a 100% sure what you're trying to say, but it sounds like you're probing a live, mains-powered device, & attaching your probe ground to something with lots of volts on it. DON'T DO THAT! - At least isolate the device under test!

--
   W  "Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them."

Yes use an isolating transformer, do no be tempted to disconnect the ground wire from the scope. That is a trick that people used to do, but it is highly dangerous.

ROb.

Reply to
Robert Wilson

What type/ model of scope are you using? If you don't ground the scope + a fault occurs, the current could go to ground via you. If you are having problems with spikes, and if capturing the waveform is not essential you could connect a choke, or similar, between the probe + oscilloscope.

Just a few thoughts, JD

Reply to
jdedmond